No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh. Cool, that's something pretty rare here but I do have one friend who just turned twelve, I was just making sure. Do you take Standerdized tests or is that just in the U.S?

*Agent~M*
    "Those who refuse the Powers, become the tools of the Powers, Those who agree to help the powers, Themselves become the Powers. Beware the Choice! Beware refusing it!"-Young Wizards books.
    "Do what the night tells you, and read the fine print before you sign!" -Peach.
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

• Yeah, it is drop everything and read, but I don't have CLASS with the sixth graders I have LUNCH with them. So since 7th grade has 2nd lunch they read at the end of the period, but we have lunch then so we have to read at the beginnig of the period but we can't hear the DEAR bell because it is downstairs so my teacher only lets us read for 3 minutes. Cunfusing, I know.

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
      You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same.
      A memory lasts forever never does it die, true friends stay together and never say goodbye.
      ~Sam (Hifun55)~
      Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
      HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
      My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

• Uh.. Yeah... I didn't know Lunch was a period. But obviously for u it is. So that's cool.

*Agent~M*
        "Those who refuse the Powers, become the tools of the Powers, Those who agree to help the powers, Themselves become the Powers. Beware the Choice! Beware refusing it!"-Young Wizards books.
        *Agent~M*
        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
        "I could live

Comment

• No, no, no, no, no! It is confussign lunch is IN 4th period. *th graders got straight to lunch then have class then DEAR, 7th have class then lunch, then DEAR, 6th have DEAR then class then lunch. Then it is fith period, so one of us is reading, and one is having class, while the other is eating. GET IT? Maybe? If not forget it.

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
          A memory lasts forever never does it die, true friends stay together and never say goodbye.
          ~Sam (Hifun55)~
          Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??

Comment

• You know, I think there is a simple way to solve all this Karen crap and cut to the chase: *bc flicks her wand and produces a monstrous doll labeled "KAREN" holding a sword in one hand and a set of scales in the other. The YW series is on one side, HP on the other. YW is lighter. "KAREN," however, blindfolded, thinks that HP is lighter and chants it over and over* Have you all heard of VOODOO? *bc smiles monstrously and jabs the doll in the leg with a broken arrow* M? DB? The ski pole? Golf club? And, er...*miles away, the real karen writhes in pain as her leg explodes in pain and her head suddenly has a migraine* Excellent. Oh, it's not hurting her fatally. No one can even prove it's us. Brilliant, eh?

brokencello
            the crinkled paper bag
            "Life isn't like the movies, Toto."
            --Alfredo, Cinema Paradiso
            brokencello
            the crinkled paper bag
            "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." "But why is the rum gone?" --both from Captain Jack Sparrow, "Pirates"

Comment

• Guys... guys... *shakes head* I don't know what to say.
              Creative, but...

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
              --Agent M
              Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• "When young readers -- momentarily sated with rereading the "Harry Potter" series -- clamor to read another book about wizards, librarians often recommend the "Young Wizards" series by Diane Duane." <<x----(I am an arrow)----{{{= I have done this!

Uh, I went through that review statement by statement, and it's all completely true? So, I'm wondering, what's with the hostility? DD would be upset if she knew you were threatening violence upon some innocent reviewer who actually gave her a good review! Critics are notorious for making scathing reviews about great stuff (example: Issac Asimov) and she gave a good review!

Furthermore, the theme of "What to read when you've run out of Harry Potter books" has been around for Quite A While! Perhaps it was DD who started the meme! It was certainly witty when I first heard it.

There was no mention of when the books were started, either JK Rowling's or DD's. Also, DD has often complimented Rowling on a job well done. They are not worst enemies! They are not even competitors! Though Mrs MacPherson seems to talk down to the YW series, you have to realize that the intended audience of this article is Harry Potter readers, who think that HP is the best thing ever! She is trying to attract more people to the series! This is recognition!

Look under the skin of that review: She mentions the fact that YW is darker than HP. Darker? With moral dilemmas. More complex. For an older audience. Complexity -> Harder to write. Compliments, people!

If you ask me, she may have been trying to avoid dissing HP. A difficult task, if your opinions are to be believed. The review was well written and accurate, and I think you need to give Mrs. MacPherson a break!

LIGHTEN UP!

--Dai Stihó

Bishie
                'Mancer
                Foam Poet
                "It was a bad line and a prank call, someone spouting insane babble; I couldn't make sense of it. But I had an overwhelmeing sense of deja vu, and the caller's voice sounded oddly familiar."

Comment

• Thankyou! Eloquence! Exactly!

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
                  --Agent M
                  Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
                  Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Yeah, now that I look at it like Rysade said, he is probably right. Lets just drop it. I was not looking at it that way because I was very mad/freaked because of MITCHEL! Oh well, I'm under control again.

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
                    ~Sam (Hifun55)~

Comment

• Yeah. I guess... She doesn't deserve to be fired but I still don't think that was a good review. *drops ski pole and goes off into another topic*

*Agent~M*
                      *Agent~M*
                      "I could live

Comment

• Maybe. May be. Maybe. May be. But I think that she should have phrased her responses differently, but I will keep fighting. Who said that? OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Stand up. Keep fighting." --Paul wellstone (Minnesotans did I spell that right? I sometimes visit your closets...but...) I love that. So, Karen...WHY?

brokencello
                        the crinkled paper bag
                        brokencello
                        the crinkled paper bag
                        "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." "But why is the rum gone?" --both from Captain Jack Sparrow, "Pirates"

Comment

• Although I despise the idea of "What to Read when you've run out of Harry Potter", as it makes the books listed seem inferior and just something to pass the time, I must admit that it was not an entirely awful review. The YW books are obviously meant for older readers, but I think the phrase "emotionally unsettling" might, in fact, repel...parents looking for books for their children might pass over the series because of that phrase. I hate the idea of YW or any other fantasy book being regarded as just "filler".

Though Mrs. MacPherson did not bring up the idea that DD has copied Harry Potter--entirely impossible, as, one, DD has not read HP, and two, because DD's books came first--anyone with that idea is utterly uninformed and not fit to be writing at all. Mrs. MacPherson did no such thing. If her review has a few faults, it is largely a good one.

*coughs pitifully* I have a sore throat...I can barely talk...*coughs again*

*Ella*

"'I wish none of this had happened.'
                          'So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'"
                          -The Fellowship of the Ring
                          *Ella*
                          "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                          There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                          And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                          What could mean more than this?"
                          --Bright Eyes

Comment

• Me too! Have you tried those RICOLA thingies? They kind of taste like grass at first, but then they really sooth your throat. The other day, I was talking, and all the people around me yelled, "SPEAK UP!" And I was like, "I...croak...can't." Mrs. MacPherson needs to get a better penmanship... *bc opens a store in the corner called "common Sense."* We sell penmanship, common sense, happiness, grief...all in a baggie.

brokencello
                            the crinkled paper bag
                            brokencello
                            the crinkled paper bag

Comment

• Cough drops?

I should be doing a music project, but right now it doesn't seem like it has that much importance...I was absent on the day we were told about it and didn't hear about it until about five days later, so she should extend it for me. I'll be mad if she doesn't.

My throat's a bit better; I could hardly talk yesterday.

*Ella*

"'I wish none of this had happened.'
                              'So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'"
                              -The Fellowship of the Ring
                              *Ella*
                              "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                              There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                              And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                              What could mean more than this?"
                              --Bright Eyes

Comment

• 1. Db: you hate 11th graders? But I'm im 11h grade! Surely you don't hate me?

2. bc: yep, Ricolas are really good. They've soothed my throat many times. I only like the original flavor, though.

3. Re: the review of YW: I must say that I agree with Tui. I don't entirely like the idea of the series as a way to simply pass the time, but the review, in general, was not really degrading.

Yep, that's about all I have to say right now.

"Food for thought requires a mind with teeth" Vollys the dragon, "The Two Princesses of Bamarre"
                                "Drink up, me hearties, yo ho!" Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
                                WHO CARES IF LEGOLAS IS GIRLY OR NOT???
                                Nurse Foxtail has returned!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X