No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf: They knocked me out during the removal, which was dizzying for a bit afterwards, but wore off quickly. It was a weird experience, it felt very strange while they were giving me the medicine to make me sleep, I kept noticing that it was getting difficult to move, and then I just remember waking up afterwards.

Illiriam: My face is kind of swollen, but I have a lot of icepacks frozen in preparation. Switching them out every thirty minutes, and such.

SilveredBlue (RB?): A couple of years ago I was in the car with my mom with the windows down, and all of a sudden I smelled something and yelled, "Whoa, I smell day-camp!" and then instantly my brain pictured exactly what room of day camp I had been in when I was seven, and what the counselor was wearing, and everything that had happened that day. After I finished describing this to my mom she just gave me the "I-think-we-need-to-have-you-checked-out-by-a-doctor" look, and kept driving. She's constantly worried now that I'm going to come down with some horrible mental thing, and it's going to mess up life.

And what you said isn't that strange at all... It sounds really quite useful!

Trialia: I have been given a generic sort of Vicodin, but it doesn't like me. It says that some people can be completely fine with it, but others get really messed up. I think it's safe to say that it messes me up.

Haha, I found perfect smilies for this:

How my brain feels without Vicodin: (or )
    How my brain feels with Vicodin:

It's been a while since I've taken the Vicodin, so I can think and type with a lot more focus, but I've gotta take another one in a couple of minutes. Blah.

Thank you all for your notes of sympathy/frowny-faces/etc!
    Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Synesthesia! Awesome! Have any of you read "A Mango Shaped Space"? It's a book about a girl with synesthesia, it's really good.

I definitely don't have synesthesia, but I have always felt like my name is a light buttercup yellow...my real first name, not estar9821.
      "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

• Okay, so I've finally had a memory flash and can contribute to our synesthesia chat! I remember when I was in elementary school, I used to do the flashcards thing (still do), and in order to remember long things, I would combine the sentences with chords of songs I could remember all of. =)

kk- Apparently, RB is SilveredBlue's real initials. We were trying to figure out what sort of nickname we should have for them, since eveeeeeryone else has been dubbed wacky nicknames. ^_^ In addition... I love your use of emoticons.

And... aahhh! I looked up the Russian Blue Cat.... which totally looks like my own little kitty. Especially this kitty and this kitty as well.

So today I woke up earlyish and went with my dad to the firehouse. We had our Hoagie Sale Fundraiser. (Dear Firefox Spellchecker.... Yes, "hoagie" is a word. I do not live in North Jersey. I live in South. Therefore, they are NOT "subs"! Shut up Spellchecker. Love, Wolfie)

Anyway so I guess we both came home smelling like onions and general hoagie-ness, which my mom said we always did when I use to go all the time with my dad when I was younger.

By the way. I don't know if it occurred to you guys or not, but after a while, after we get to know each other a while, it's quite strange not being sure whether or not the person you're talking to is a girl or a boy. Obviously by my picture I'm a girl... although I guess I could have picked any random picture of any random person... but yes that's me. Does anyone else want to divulge us into their gender? LOL
        Last edited by Wolf; January 16, 2010, 05:20:19 PM.
        ..................~*Wolf*~..................
        AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
        Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• *laughs* Well, Wolf, you already know I'm a cisgendered female.
          Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• Wolf: Hoagies! Hey, my spellchecker also hates that word... That's...that's so not fair! But then again, it also doesn't accept the word "spellchecker," so I'll just ignore it for a while. Mmm, hoagie... I really need to get one of them next time I'm in New Jersey. The title of "sub" just does not describe the tastiness. I remember that I used to go to a hoagie fundraiser (to buy them, not to help out), but I can't remember where it was, besides in New Jersey. And near where my grandmother lives.

And to think you know what hoagies are, but not TakABoost! How dare you... Go drive over to Cinnaminson and find the Mart Pretzel Bakery, and ask for a Boost Slushie already!

And on the question of gender, I am a girl. XD
            Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• I love that the first two people who reply are people I already know the gender of... story'a my life.

Was the hoagie fundraiser at a firehouse? Near Cinnaminson? Cuz I'm twenty minutes awaaaay from theree.....

I could probably ask my mom right now if she's ever been there... one of her really good friends live in Cinnaminson, too, so she'll probably look at me with one of her "Of Coooooourse!" looks and be like, "yeahhh... whyy...?" with the feeling I'm about to ask something utterly ridiculous, that will cause her to give an exasperated sigh. She does that a lot when I talk about Star Trek, come to think of it..... hahaaa

*just asked mom*

Nope, she's never been there. Poop. But she sounded interested! So I could potentially get her to drive me there. ^_^ Whoo!
              ..................~*Wolf*~..................
              AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
              Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• I remember learning the word hoagie in the one and only Junie B Jones book I ever read, when I was like 7. I decided after I read that I hated the books. But the school cafeteria was selling hoagies or something, and I liked the word. It was fun to say.

Wolf: If and when we get together, you are not allowed in the kitchen. No cooking for you, just buy blue tortilla chips or something.

NOOOOO!!!!!!! I can't enter the darn AWoM contest! I became a member on Nov. 20 something! SO close!

Oh sweet, I have an award.
                Last edited by estar9821; August 19, 2011, 04:52:34 PM.
                "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

• I love the word hoagie. However, I live in Maryland, and so no one really ever understands me. Same when I call soda "pop." I worked in food service for a while, so I had to translate to the other girls what hoagie and pop meant.
                  Random tourist: "I'd like a hoagie and a large pop please"
                  Other girl: "I'm sorry, we don't have hoagies. And you want a large what?"
                  Tourist: "Pop."
                  Sooner or later I would run up and explain that they mean soda, but I typically would let it go for a minute or so just because it was funny.

Oh, and if no one could figure it out, I am a girl. Ta da.

Comment

• I'm sooo behind. Story of my life right now. and I failed an algebra test. BLAH!! And I was doing so well, too, and then all of a sudden this test didn't have anything of what I'd just learned and went back to 4 chapters ago that I hadn't stuuuudied...*whimpers*

I'm sad.. Reading this cheered me up though! Hoagies and pop!

Here in California, every brown carbonated drink is Coke, while others are Sunkist and Sprite. 7-Up and Mountian Dew are Sprite. Bad luck for the advertising people. Otherwise, bubbly sweet stuff in general is soda. As for hoagies, the only reason I know what they are is because my parents are native Chicago-ans. You ask your typical Californian here for one, and they'd ask if it was a breed of dog.

Well, maybe I'm exaggerating. Slightly.

Oh: I am of the female persuasion. Did you know already, Wolf? Funny, the majority of my friends here are girls, I think: although I'm pretty sure NickRyan and Tobiasscrabble are boys. Heehee. And Garrett Fitzgerald (who has an awesome name) is a gentleman, I'm sure, unless s/he's a heavily disguised alien attempting to elude the intergalaxy SWAT team. Convicted, of course, of being an accomplice in chocolate-smuggling.

Triala: Posts here don't COUNT! Ahah! Thanks for the notice.

Just kidding!

EDIT: Groucho Marx? I've never seen a Goucho Marx movie. I'm not even really sure who he is, unless he's related to Marxism. I got my quote from a book somewhere.
                    Last edited by SilveredBlue; January 17, 2010, 02:39:28 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
                      EDIT: Groucho Marx? I've never seen a Goucho Marx movie. I'm not even really sure who he is, unless he's related to Marxism. I got my quote from a book somewhere.
                      *faceplants repeatedly* I'm sorry, but that's... I was born after he died and even I know who he is...

Groucho Marx was a comedian, along with his two brothers. Go find the film A Night at the Opera, for one. Wikipedia article here.

And no: he's not related to Karl Marx, founder of Marxism.

Comment

• Mind, the fact that the Marx Brothers and Karl Marx share the same surname has been used by many comedians and satyrists, usually at the expense of the revolutionary.

In Kenya, every fizzy drink is a "soda" (unless, perhaps, it's beer, in which case it's likely a "tusker").
                        -- Rick.

Comment

• Yes Silveredblue I am a guy and I think my name kinda gives it a way but there might be somewhere where parents name their daughters after overthrown Russian Czars. I think I might have accidentally confused you with my post about the bookstore guy's joke (or at least I think I posted that), but don't worry the first time I heard of Karl Marx I thought he was related to the Marx brothers. My dad had to explain to me that he wasn't

Here in the Midwest we call it soda or pop depending on the person and we have subs here.

Wish I could post more but I have to go play football now.
                          "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Boredom...it's wet and rainy and cold outside, and there isn't anything to do but go on the computer.

Wow, the number of posts has really gone up on this page. Sometimes when I go on I have to read through 20 posts until I'm caught up.

Comment

• Heh. Would you believe that I didn't know who Doctor Who was before I joined the forums, Triala? The "Man at the Bar" scene in HW was very confusing to me for a long time. And I got Star Trek and Star Wars mixed up (I though Trek was a Wars spin-off) until I had an orchestra conductor who was a self-proclaimed avid Trekkie. I still haven't seen a single episode of Trek, although my dad owns a couple of Borg DVD's.

The only sci-fi I'd read before YW was a few Foundation novels by Asimov. Now I'm fairly addicted to the space-opera genre.

I'm being corrupted by YW! And liking it!

NickRyan: Play football? As opposed to watch football? My dad is having a football-watching day since the Chargers, our regional team, are in the play-offs and apparently have a good chance at the Super Bowl.

Comment

• Ahhh! Blue, you've revealed your guilty secret: you're an ex-mundane!? @_@;

If you haven't read Lois McMaster Bujold yet, go, do. *g*

Comment

Working...
                                X