The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
    I just clicked on the link in Garrett's siggy, and oh my gosh it is the funniest thing I've ever seen. "Bite me alien bwoy!" "Am-est this face bother-ed?" looooool Thanks Garrett for making my day. :>
    After Lauren Cooper and Donna Noble's first appearance, Who Season 4 was a bit of a shock.That woman can act. :-) Poor DoctorDonna... CURSE YOU RTD!!!!!!

I still haven't gotten around to seeing the last 3 specials... gotta do something about that. :-)
    "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• OK so I have to read the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx for AP World History and when I bought the book the cashier said "I love these guys Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Karl. Haha it was so funny I almost ran into the door because I was laughing so hard.

SilveredBlue: Ummmm no thanks I think I have enough names for now. Maybe some other people would like some names though.

Like estar I have never had any problems with microwaves, but I think I almost melted a styrofoam container today. Luckily I didn't but it started to cave in on my food.
      "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• NickRyan: I know. I was kidding. I do that kind of joking a lot...it's just hard to tell online...
        This naming stuff reminds me of the the scene in W@W where the gang is talking about the names of the Hesper.

Then again, nearly everything reminds me on YW at the moment. In the months before a highly-anticipated book comes out, I'm obsessed the book's world: I even dream about it. And YW is so highly quoteable and remember-able that it excaberates the phenomenon.

Which *cough* reminds me: does anyone know how to figure out the Julian date system? I'm totally confused by it....

...although I should be more worried about schoolwork than Julian dates. The operative word there is 'should'. I just can't seem to get enthusiastic about physics. Gah.

Okay, I'll stop moaning now.

Styrofoam is weird stuff. I tried to spraypaint some of it once, and it actually started bubbling and turning into mush, as if the paint was some sort of acid on steroids. It was FREAKY. It ate right through the slab of foam and made the grass blue. :O

Comment

• Don't feel bad... I think everyone has a microwave episode in their house at one point in time. Mine was small, especially compared to my dad's. I stuck a cup in the microwave that had a goldleaf or paint rim around the edge. Something along those lines. It started sizzling and sparking and my mom was yelling...
          But at least I didn't try to cook potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil in the microwave like my dad. Needless to say we had to get a new microwave after that one.

And my dad tried blue eggs once. My brother and I went through a phase where we wanted all of our food blue and green (green eggs and ham might have been the inspiration, as well as the green ketchup. Anyone remember that? ) As kids we loved the blue eggs. Maybe I will try that tomorrow and see what my dad says.

Well, as my image implies, this year I did NaNoWriMo. I have slowly begun the tedious process of revising my story. I have been using the signature red editing pen of death. It just seemed right, you know? I liked this pen because it was a clicky pen. While I read and thought, I liked to just sit there clicking it. I didn't know that you could break a clicky pen this way.
          It clicked no more.
          So I ghetto rigged it and brought it back to life. It shall now be known as Franken-pen. Nd my goal is to not kill this one through excessive clicking. Or to not kill it again. I'm not sure which phrasing is correct.

Comment

Styrofoam is weird stuff. I tried to spraypaint some of it once, and it actually started bubbling and turning into mush, as if the paint was some sort of acid on steroids. It was FREAKY. It ate right through the slab of foam and made the grass blue. :O
            Spray paint will melt styrofoam. I learned that building sets for theatre.

illiriam: Yes I remember that ketchup! Both the green and purple.
            "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

Which *cough* reminds me: does anyone know how to figure out the Julian date system? I'm totally confused by it....
              here and plug in whatever date you want to find

I suggest 3

I keep forgetting to memorize my birthday as a Julian date, so I can just spew that out whenever someone bugs me about it... That might get them to drop it...

In other news: the first week of new semesters suck, and my classes bore me to tears teaching the fundamentals of whatever the next purist subject is so that they are absolutely positive that we have the foundation... As a result, I get Algebra in Calculus, Chemistry in Bio, and basic physics of light in Chemistry, all of which I've either taken, or at least learned as a foundation in the subject... Ugh...

Comment

• Thanks, cybermirage! Why couldn't the websites I visited be as consise and clear as you? *grumble*

Ah well. Not every website can have such an intelligent, well-read bunch as ourselves, now can they?

Now, this begs the question: Why use such a time-keeping system? (Other than for confusing people with, of course: my birthday's JD 2449678.19236! ) I can see the value of the precise measurement, but counting from such a long-ago date (and so random looking- 4713?) seems perhaps a bit silly. Maybe there's an astronomical or otherwise scientific reason...*buzzes off to look it up, but doesn't have much hope of finding the info*

EDIT: Ooh, that was my 100th post!

Comment

• Currently watching Star Trek and making pudding pie... I ordered my books for the new semester >_< but I got the shuttlecraft I ordered. =D

Went to the dentist today and am now eating cookies.

We should not be allowed near appliances. =) If and when we have a forum-meeting-party-thing, we should just store-buy all our food... teehee.

Can't think of much more to add to our topic at present, but I'm sure I'll think of something eventually. Oh! Remember my smashing-into-the-radiator story? Well the hand I used to brace myself... my thumb, to be exact... started hurting last night, and my thumb still really hurts today. I think the typing is giving it good exercise... or at least that's what I'm telling myself!
                  ..................~*Wolf*~..................
                  AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
                  Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• Wolf: No, nothing was damaged, luckily. But, I'm trying to remember how I ended up solving the original butter hardness problem... I probably cut some off and put it on a plate, or put it in the oven (yes, that's something I would have done, and still would do ), or just dealt with it hard. That's why I prefer margarine in a tub -- SO much easier to spread, and, apparently, healthier.

Does anyone else enjoy just sitting still, in silence, doing nothing? I have a freakishly high tolerance for that. I finished an in-class History essay about 10 minutes early today, and I just sat there, staring into space, and put my head down on my arms on the desk towards the end. Same with the Spanish test after that... usually I'm about the last one finished with tests/essays. I was proud of myself. It also disgusts me how so many people just can't sit still, even though we're in high school... even if it's quiet, there's some sort of fidgeting, breathing, rustling of papers, blasting music from headphones, getting up to go to the bathroom, etc.

Well, the delivery of the appliances has been delayed until Saturday because they're scared of the dirt road, which has a little bit of snow, but it's very hard and packed-down and not very slippery. It's supposed to be a lot warmer tonight, tomorrow, and Saturday, so hopefully the dirt will be exposed again... either that, or it'll be all slush, which is worse. Of course, we found out that they wouldn't come down the road until AFTER we had disconnected the old stove... so now we have to live without it or reconnect it (it's propane-powered).
                    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• "What's that smell?"
                      "Umm... nothing..."
                      "It smells like something's burning..."
                      "Everything's fine, mom. Nothing's burning."
                      "Did you burn something?"
                      "Everything's fine, mom."
                      "Are you sure?"
                      "Yes mom, everything's fine... just don't worry about it. Don't worry about it mom, everything's fine..."

Ummmm so remember that pudding pie? I kinda forgot about it for a few minutes. And it was really thick. And I splashed some more milk on it. And quickly mixed and tried to pour it into the graham cracker pie crust without killing the whole darn thing. And then I saw it... I had murdered the bottom of the pot. Feeling a bit like a young wizard still with the instinct of a "normal" kid, I repeated the same thing over and over. "Oh, mom's gonna kill me!!" So I scrubbed. I scrubbed and I scrubbed and scrubbed some more. And then realized I wasn't doing anything. And then tried to look for the strongest cleaner we had. I pulled out the bleach, hopefully. And then discovered that the the extent of dish cleaner we had- the rest were reserved for things our pets do. "Oh, BLANK." I muttered. "BLANK - BLANK - BLANK."

So I've gotten a LOT of it off -and I mean, a LOT. Unfortunately, my best isn't quite good enough, and I've ruined two sponges in the process. Also, my thumb, which was just smarting, hurts a lot when I move it now. I have to pause in my scrubbing, otherwise I think I might actually fracture the joint.

Someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And PLEASE- never let me leave my cooking unsupervised again!!!!!!!!!)
                      ..................~*Wolf*~..................
                      AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
                      Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• Here ya go: Put water in the pot until it covers the stain. Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and let boil for 5 minutes. If that doesn't work, soak with lemon juice. If THAT doesn't work-although #1 always has for me- I read soaking with vinegar and adding baking powder might do something.

Poor Wolfie! You have a jinx on your kitchen or something! >_<

So did anyone see American Idol last night? I missed it and I'm sad because there was some good stuff...my friend sent me a video of the guy singing "Pants on the Ground": I LOVED it. LOL. And apparently there's like 200,000 views on Youtube and he only sang it yesterday.....

My mom really hates that look: who wants to see someone else's dirty underwear?, she told me.

Ye-uck. heehee. Actually, she says that every time she sees someone with a, uh, wardrobe statement of that kind. As it were.

Randomness: I love my Ipod! I finally found it after two weeks of thinking I lost it. I had shoved it, sans earbuds, into a bag and somehow the bag got dumped out into a box in my room. So it was buried in all these beads and shells from my many half-finished crafts and jewlery, and when I finally cleaned out the box there it was! Yay!
                        it's a relatively old one- 3rd gen and 3 gig, but I lurves it anyway.

Actually, my younger brother got the newest one in orange, and so he was shooting video and generally showing off the Apple awesomeness when my sister asked if I'd get a new one too, since I have an income and all that. I said, "No, mine's better."
                        Of course she said, "How??? It's got no video or Genius or camera and it can only hold like 3,000 songs!"
                        Me: "Duh, it's SQUARE. Look. See its cuteness."
                        Sister: "You're insane."
                        Me: "But I have this cute little leather case and it's engraved!!"
                        Sister: .....

so yeah.

Comment

• Uh-oh, all this talk of school is coming back again... *hides from it, feeling old*
                          Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• We had no blue food coloring. I was sad. We only had green and yellow. Silly pre-cup-of-coffee me thought, oh, I can mix them together... and then the rest of my mind caught up and realized that green and yellow do NOT make blue. And making eggs more yellow seemed silly, so I added green and made a green omelet. It made me surprisingly happy and put me in a good mood for the rest of the day. Green eggs and toast.

Wolf, I always use the fall back of just letting it soak. You would be surprised what letting that gross, covered in burned food pot-or-pan soak in water can do. I'd say an hour or two, and then trying a spatula. Hopefully you got it off by now (and if not, best of luck!) but it seemed like a good tip to impart given your, well, let's say colorful, kitchen stories imply.

Eric, I totally agree. I enjoy just sitting sometimes to clear my mind. My younger brother is the opposite though, so it makes it hard to do sometimes.
                            "Stop touching me."
                            "I'm not touching you."
                            "Well, stop almost touching me."
                            He just can't sit still. He can't even sit still long enough to do homework. I feel that it is a reflection of the American society and education system, and I can frequently be heard talking about when I was younger (which was, like, yesterday) and how our youth need to learn the value of an education and how tv and sodas have given everyone ADD so that they can't focus on anything for longer than 15 seconds at a time. And that they are taught to look for shortcuts and so on and so on. (It's true though. My brother is failing all of his classes, which is not an exaggeration, and thinks that he can be a computer programmer and get a degree without doing well in high school, reading, or enjoying science or math. I kind of want to see how he plans this.)
                            I'm the twenty year old equivalent of an eighty year old lady. Let me get my knitting, a book, and some tea. Actually, that sounds great.

And congrats on 100 posts SilveredBlue!

Comment

Now, this begs the question: Why use such a time-keeping system? (Other than for confusing people with, of course: my birthday's JD 2449678.19236! ) I can see the value of the precise measurement, but counting from such a long-ago date (and so random looking- 4713?) seems perhaps a bit silly. Maybe there's an astronomical or otherwise scientific reason...*buzzes off to look it up, but doesn't have much hope of finding the info*
                              Argon is a nice blue color...

Anyways, I agree. The old blocky iPod design just feels more right

Comment

• Wolf: Just...just stop cooking! XD Or just stare at whatever you're cooking so intently that it never burns. And if you see it starting to burn, stir it or stop it or... Well... I dunno. I used to burn things by walking away from them for about five seconds and then finding that the whole thing was either boiling over or charred, so I just set myself to staring at what I cook from then on.

Oooh, you could set up a surveillance camera in your kitchen! Then hook up the audio to a radio signal, and listen to it through a small dollar-store portable radio, and then you could hear when stuff starts to burn/char/boil over. Though I warn you - some foods like to burn silently. So that wouldn't entirely work, I guess... :/

Watched pots do boil, by the way. :P They just take a bit longer. If you go away for about ten seconds and come back, they'll have boiled over.

Illiriam: Haha, I've done that too, pre-cup-of-coffee. "Green and Yellow totally make blue...right?" Green Eggs and....Toast! Yummy!

Knitting, book, tea... That sounds like how my free time usually goes, but with crocheting instead of knitting. And yes, that's so true about today's youth! Of which I am sometimes considered a part, since I am fifteen... But eh, it doesn't count with me, I'm homeschooled and proud to be a nerd/geek/book-obsessed person.

SilveredBlue: Congrats on 100 posts!

CyberMirage: Yes, SilveredBlue does need a nickname! Hmmmmm.... We need to find one! Moonlight is silvered-blue in color... Perhaps we could find something along those lines!

Blah, I don't have really much to do right now. I had my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, and now everything hurts quite badly, and I can't really open my mouth, and it's difficult to concentrate on anything because of the three or four different type of medication I've been given. I keep having to go back and edit everything, to take out the numerous typos because my brain doesn't like thinking too much, right now.

On the bright side, this is giving me a lot of time to watch Star Trek... which I've just completed movies 1 - 6, and even watched some Animated Series, which is so dorky it's awesome. I'll probably start watching TNG soon...

And another thing on the bright side, I have TAPIOCA PUDDING! It's one of my favorite desserts, and it's also one of the only things I'm currently able to eat without too much opening of my jaw. Hehehehe, yummmm...
                                Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

Working...
                                X