No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celtic-Warrior-Princess moment...I like that. (notice I am NOT laughing, I am not LAUGHING...although I might just *giggle*)

kk, love the book shelves! You have a dragon in front of the Eragon/Eldest omnibus and Brisingr! *huggles* And Artemis Fowl, and all 9 wizard books, the same edition! (my favorite edition, actually: I love the AWAl cover, though I'm not wild about the AWAb.)

I'm ashamed to admit I only have SYWTBAW (the digest edition! gotta love the green drool) and W@W. I like to get them out of the library. It's fun. Hmm, I wonder how I can post a pic of my bookshelves without a camera (cell phone or otherwise). I may have to beg the use of the new IPod from my brother, since I'm NOT giving up my chunky one for one with a camera. Or maybe I could use the "snapshot" function on my web cam...hmm...*plots*

Wow, it's just POURING rain out here and I'm happy. Ignore my "Location" widget for day or so.

Comment

• Thanks for all the congrats! I am really really really excited.
      I logged in and saw and I actually think that I flew for a moment when I ran down the steps to tell my family. Come to think of it, flying down the stairs felt and awful lot like falling...
      Man, I am so wound up that I keep mistyping.

Another awesome thing from today? My brother and I went to see Avatar in 3D. It was really cool. It was my first 3D movie. I highly recommend it to any who haven't already seen it.
      While it was all really cool my favorite thing was (don't worry, no spoilers) the "moon" in the sky. Which wasn't actually a moon, but a giant planet. But it was cool. It stands to reason that I would like that because one of the most appealing things for me from Star Wars, like Dairine, is a planet with a different sky than ours. Two moons, two suns, a really big moon, anything. Not that our own sky isn't full of wonder, but it would be totally wicked to see a new one. Although it would technically be the same one, just from a different perspective... Okay now I am bringing back the headache that the 3D glasses caused.

Comment

• SilveredBlue, I have no shame whatsoever in telling you I scoffed, smiled, and smacked the air in front of my computer screen. (As if to somehow smack you in the face. ^_^ ) When I write my awesomely amazing celtic story, you will be sorry. That's all I'm saying to you in this post. Hmph! =P

kk, my bookshelf bows down to yours. Many times over. In addition though... I have an entire three shelves dedicated to just my Harry Potter figurines, my dragon figurines, and wolf figurines. Very cool things. =D

illiriam, you must be having the most awesome day ever. i... well... hey, I found the set of smilies that could describe it!

PS... SilveredBlue... I kept going into this post to edit and put more things in to say to you... hahaa.. I think you have me beat =)
        Last edited by Wolf; January 18, 2010, 07:49:43 PM.
        ..................~*Wolf*~..................
        AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
        Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• Wolf: Lalalalalalalala.....*innocent smile* Who, me? *bats eyelashes* Never! Perish the Thought!

*computer overloads from extreme cuteness*

Ahem. Anyway. I just read this post by Nathan on 'intertextuality', (Oh- very well thought out: I enjoyed that muchly, Nathan!) and he mentioned PLAYING a REAL Stradivari. (sp?)
          *mouth drops open* I'd seriously give some teeth and blood (and sweat of my brow, etc) to have a Strad for the day....*drools*

I love the rain. It's fablmarvelyouswondertastic. It's mooshlovely. (Recognize the word?) My mom didn't want me to go out in the rain but I begged and then promptly got both soggy and muddy, and plastered with bits of dead grass. Ah, paradise. I should live in- is it Seattle? Well, I should live somewhere where it rains a lot and lifts at sunset to reveal the gorgeous colors.

Comment

• Illiriam: You are so lucky. Congratulations.

SilveredBlue: Do you ever go see the Mythbusters live since I think they have their workshop in Southern California.

I spent the majority of the day watching Mythbusters. Except for a couple hours where I played football a mix of tackle and two hand touch.

kk: I love Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that is an awesome book and movie.
            "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• We spent a couple of hours watching Mythbusters as well. Cary and Grant came to my old school once. I really wanted to go, but the tickets were sold out almost as soon as they were available.

Sorry about the cage Wolf (haha, just thought of the little bit of irony: wolf in a cage... okay, maybe not as funny when I think it through).
              Posters really help. They help to decrease the level of asylum-ness that a white walled room brings. Maybe a Monet, and then a fun silly poster, and maybe a family picture?

SilveredBlue, I would gladly send our rain to your side of the country. We used to be in a drought, but I think the four months of wet weather has fixed that.

Ugh, registration for classes re-opens tomorrow. Here is to hoping that I get another Sociology class *fingers crossed.* I need to find one that fits in my schedule and, hopefully, isn't on Fridays, since as of now I don't have classes on Fridays. *knock on my wooden desk* That would be so awesome.

Comment

• Hmm. I haven't gone to see them, Nick, but I don't know if I even could. The stuff they do might involve many L-words if they let people see: liabilities and lawyers and lawsuites. Et cetera. Y'know, someone gets hit by a piece of flying debris and blames the show.

Sooo...it would be cool, but I'd have to investigate. Also, I have a vague memory that their workshop is a couple of hours to the north: I live quite close to the border and I think they're farther up.

Good idea, illiriam- you should do that, Wolf! There's also those wall-sticker things that are like wall paper except that you can take them off and put them on again, and they're shaped like huge dots or loong stripes.

Comment

• Hmm.... I like that idea!

I actually ended up putting the tv on, and letting that stay on while I put my things away. After doing some stuff with my computer, I finally have my ipod plugged in, so I can escape from thinking and just listen to other people talk. If anyone listens to the radio show Preston & Steve.... please hit me up. And if you don't... search them on itunes, and just give them a listen! If you love comedy, you'll love these guys. Honest. Some days they're the only thing that keep me sane.

The two posters I had up fell, of course, but one's of the Horsehead Nebula (I've got my favorite, the Andromeda Galaxy, at home), and the other is this really pretty picture of a woman holding a wolf pup, a full moon and a flying owl behind her, and a wolf face in front of the woman. It's soooo cool and mystical, I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it.

illiriam- If i could draw on cue, I'd be sketching that image right now. I get the irony, and appreciate the humor... maybe if I sketch it, I can somehow get it up as an avatar, lol.

SilveredBlue, aren't you in CA? Isn't CA getting pounded by rain? I think there was a mix-up in communication here, lol. Oh, and bad news... CNN says that even more storms are on the way. For the east coast, I think we're supposed to be getting more rain, but no "big storms" like the mystical glowing box said. =P

Welp, I know it's only 11:20, but I've got a ten a clock tomorrow, and I should go to sleep. (Ifya know what's best forya, kid!) See ya all on the other side of the sunrise. =)

Comment

• Yes, I am in CA. And it is getting pounded by rain (yay!). I meant the USA/Mexico border- sorry, everyone here just says 'the border' and I forgot that you wouldn't know what that meant. =)

And more storms? That's NOT bad news! I love weather! Yayayay!

EDITED: because this was really short. I have to say something meaningful, something philosophic and deep that will changes the lives of all who read it...Oh! I know!

42!

uhm. anyway. My room is messy! (although that's not new.)
                    I'm preparing for a humungous piano concerto competition in 3 weeks and I'm really frazzled! (well, depending on how much you've read the ToGR this might be new or not.)

I feel like I'm trying to juggle glass ornaments, and I don't know HOW to juggle. schoolwork. blah, humbug. Triala, I salute you for getting through formal education alive- here's hoping that I'll do the same! Without my eyes bugging out like this smilie! ---> =)

Okay, back to studying:
                    Last edited by SilveredBlue; January 19, 2010, 01:35:20 AM.

Comment

• SilveredBlue: What do you get if you multiply 6 by 9?

Wolf: I just realized that when you and others are mentioning "The Cage" I get a mental image of Captain Pike in the Star Trek pilot episode trying to break the force-field wall that the Talosians (sp?) have kept him in.

The moment starts about eight minutes into this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX0nWCHlqGk"]YouTube- Star Trek The Cage (2)[/ame]

Hehe, the force field has an awesome sound effect...
                      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• You get 54....

Why? Is it the secret to Life, the Universe, and Everything?

Actually, if you meant raising 6 to the power of 9, you get 10077696. (That one WAS with a calculator.)
                        6-9=-3
                        6sqrt9= (approx.) 1.22

See, I feel like this is somehow a trick and so I'm just listing everything I can think of..

6+9=15

ok, done now.
                        Last edited by SilveredBlue; January 19, 2010, 02:59:22 AM.

Comment

• Haha, read "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" and then see what the answer is!

Since you spoke of The Answer, I wondered if you had read some of the books in the Hitchhiker's Guide series... And now, you need to go read them!
                          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Yeah, using LibraryThing did turn into a bit of a project, and it's only free for the first 200 books, but I had the time, and I was doing some tidying, and I found a way to use my mobile phone's camera as a bar-code reader and to connect it directly to LibraryThing, so entering all those ISBNs wasn't quite as much work as it might have been, especially when I discovered that some books which didn't have an ISBN on the back cover did have an ISBN bar-coded inside the front cover. I guess I had to enter about a hundred ISBNs the hard way, and a small handful of books the very long-winded way. It's interesting to see how many other folk have copies of particular books, and especially interesting to see which books I alone (among LT users) seem to have. While it's no surprise that books like Lord of the Rings and the various Harry Potter tomes are owned by tens of thousands of other LT users, and not particularly surprising that I should be the only person to have catalogued a copy of Flashosphere, there are several I'd have expected to see in other users' libraries.
                            -- Rick.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilveredBlue View Post
                              And Garrett Fitzgerald (who has an awesome name) is a gentleman, I'm sure, unless s/he's a heavily disguised alien attempting to elude the intergalaxy SWAT team. Convicted, of course, of being an accomplice in chocolate-smuggling.
                              What are you trying to do, get me caught?????? *grin*

http://youngwizards.com/forums/member.php?u=227 -- at least I look like a gentleman in that get-up. :-) (My younger daughter is playing Marta, btw -- she's by my elbow, in front of Maria.)
                              Last edited by Garrett Fitzgerald; January 19, 2010, 01:58:07 PM.
                              "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• So I had my first class... Critical Discourse... ugh. So the teacher thinks the next class is at a different time. (It's a split class, so it's at two different times) We'll have fun when we all show up at 8 30 on thursday, and she goes in at one thinking, "Now where the heck is all my class??"

I love that The Question and The Answer don't match up. Like.. wha??!

Hey Garrett Fitzgerald... I"m having trouble seeing your picture. I go to flicker, I had to make a flicker name through yahoo or something, and when that was all finished, it said I didn't have permission to see your picture cuz it was a private album?? Do you have photobucket or something? Maybe you could use that instead.

Speaking of photobucket, here's a picture of the poster I was talking about! Of course my Horsehead Nebula poster fell down during the night... ugh. Time to roll out the duct tape..

Comment

Working...
                                X