No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I CAN cook, I really can! I... I just don't know what on earth happened. Well, my pudding came out kinda thick, so I guess it WAS three cups and not two of milk. Ah, well.

Today started out with me in a bad mood, but I went and got my tire fixed, went to hang out with my friends, and now I'm better. Problem is, I'm supposed to go to PF Chang's tonight (really awesome Chinese restaurant) with my parents, and all I wanna do is sit here and eat my pudding pie... or my chicken pot pie, which I really shoulda had for lunch. But being my size, I was afraid if I ate something big for lunch, I wouldn't've been hungry for dinner. Poo. Oh well. Too late to eat the pot pie, now.

SilveredBlue definitely needs a nickname. =)

kk, did you get all your wisdom teeth taken out? I did. It was AWESOME.

I'm watching America's Funniest Home Videos now, and I keep laughing so hard that my dog keeps coming up and putting her head on my lap to try and figure out what's going on.. =)
    ..................~*Wolf*~..................
    AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
    Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• Wolf: Yup, I got all of them taken out, and I wouldn't really call it awesome. Painful, weird, and strange-feeling yes. The supply of medication makes it quite interesting. A steroid for faster healing, an antibiotic to keep the steroid from giving me an infection, and an extremely strong painkiller (that's just now starting to work), and makes it feel like my head is trapped in plastic wrap. Or bubble wrap. Or a locally-present raincloud.

Heehee... I have created the ultimate jello - Meat Jello! Plain gelatin mix, and beef broth...
      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Meat...Jello?? *shudders* Ye-uck. *gags* I don't even like regular jello...

Hey! You could call me "E"! Why? Because I was doing a report on synesthesia, and I came across this quote that was the inspiration for my name:
        I have always seen the letter E as a light silvery blue...
        Underneath the quote, on the display, I put a large letter E in the silveriest blue I could find. It was a hit because it looked so cool. So anyway...

Poor kk! I'm dreading the day when my wisdom teeth have to come out.

Cybermirage: I start staring when I'm being peaceful too. Except I do it around creeks and large rocks. For some reason I LOVE big bouldery rocks. Seeing one (or more!) gives me this urge to climb them to the top and sit and feel the coolness (or heat) and smell that rock smell. Rocks DO have a smell...kind of like rich earth but fresher.

You all knew I was insane already, right? Anyone who'd rather sit and smell the rocks then smell the roses...

Oh, and thanks for the explanation about JD time! I almost get it!
        Last edited by SilveredBlue; January 15, 2010, 06:57:56 PM.

Comment

• Synesthesia? That's cool! Where did you go for information (besides the Wikipedia article)? I just learned about it recently, from Oliver Sack's book Musicophilia, and other works. I think it's just fascinating. Lots of cool links to things I've never heard of on the article, too.

For some reason the quote about the letter "E" seems familiar, too. I can't place where I heard it. Yet the letter E does not feel like a blue letter to me. I was thinking of a silvery metal name... (Except those names are almost as long as your actual name.)

I'd always wondered about that Julian Date. That number made no sense before.
          After the movie Star Trek came out I checked out everything in order, too. I took the opportunity to read more of DD's work, too. :-D I never knew what I was missing!

Comment

• Originally posted by dorotheia View Post
            Synesthesia? That's cool! Where did you go for information (besides the Wikipedia article)? I just learned about it recently, from Oliver Sack's book Musicophilia, and other works. I think it's just fascinating. Lots of cool links to things I've never heard of on the article, too.
            Um, umm...it was a few years ago...I think I read Musicophilia, but a lot came (surprisingly) from books on autism, which was the main part of the report. See, the project was a ten-page persuasive report on therapies for autism, along with one of those stand-up posters full of info about autism, so I read a LOT of material. Synesthesia came up quite a lot as a very common "side-effect", as it were, of autism.

Originally posted by dorotheia View Post
            For some reason the quote about the letter "E" seems familiar, too. I can't place where I heard it. Yet the letter E does not feel like a blue letter to me. I was thinking of a silvery metal name... (Except those names are almost as long as your actual name.)
            See, you have synesthesia too! Everyone does to some extent. *feels ashamed* I can't remember where the quote came from: it stuck in my head. Silvery metals: argent? Well, this blue jay's feathers are pretty close to my idea: Jay?

...Wikipedia is great. I can't use it for reports though.

Comment

• Okay, whoever mentioned Star Trek today (probably kk) - for some reason, I didn't jump on that!!! Whoo Star Trek!!!

That picture of the blue jay is absolutely beautiful! The colors... they're so vibrant!!!

Now I'm confused... how did this Julian date conversation get started? People mentioned DD and Star Trek... does Star Trek use the JD system for their stardates?!?!???? *fangirl jaw drop*

Comment

• kk: what made you ever try putting beef broth in a jello? That seems like it couldn't just happen on accident.

Silveredblue: I like blue jays even if they are rare here but I would not really describe them as slivery blue. There are Russian blue cats that in my opinion are silvery but i don't know how you would shorten that at all.

Does anyone here have a Xbox Live account? I just set one up today even though I have had my Xbox for a year or two.
                "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• NickRyan: look right underneath the jay's throat, on the left below his little ring of blue feathers, and it looks like his feathers are blue overlaid with silver or white. That was what I meant.

OH! Russian Blue cat! It's the perfect color, and you could say RB- and guess what, those are my real-life initials! It's perfect!! Thank you Mick! I gave you a name and you gave one back.

Wolf: I asked about Julian dates to the ToGR in general. Star Trek just kinda appeared later.

One more thing, Mick: I love your siggy. And yes, however did the *shudder* beef jello HAPPEN, kk?

kk: You're homeschooled? gasp. so'm I!

...I'm in a mood for exclamation points. !!

Comment

• Alright, beef broth and jello. Must address and go on the side of... AAH! Wha?! Yuck! I think. Weird! Ahh! That... that is so weird... where EVER did you get that idea??

NickRyan: Wait. Blue cats?!????? Ummm before I look this up and am completely misdirected by google images and photoshop, can you please explain? =) And... I'm pretty sure Xbox Live accounts are compatible with MSN Live Messenger accounts, are they not? They're both microsoft, so I thiiiiiink so...... in any case, try adding Trekkie707@aim.com (yes, that's my msn thingy) and see if that works. =D

SilveredBlue: dot dot dot.... am I a ...a minority?! I went to public school! I didn't realize more kids than I know were homeschooled! Hahaa.

Yaaaaayy friends for cheering me up. ^_^

Comment

• Synesthesia... I just now read the articles (Wiki and others) that I could find on it, and I seem to have something similar. Does it count if different scents instantly remind me of a certain place or a book (or a prominent memory)? Or if the musical notes on a piano and numbers 1 - 10 always seemed to have personalities (although only a few have colors)? (Five always seemed like quite a crabby person, and was always red. I don't really know why, but I remember that I used to get through my math problems thinking like that.)

The Story of Beef Jello happened something like this: My father had to have a medical procedure of some type a while ago, and had to eat only Jello or liquid foods for a day beforehand. Seeing that there was plenty of plain gelatin leftover, and that I was going to have my wisdom teeth removed sometime in the future, and I had some beef broth in the pantry, I decided to mix the two. And so, on Wednesday (the day before the teeth were removed), I mixed up the Gelatin. Really, it just tastes like beef, with a texture kind of like tofu.

I think I'm going to end this post now, because looking at the keyboard while typing is making me a little dizzy, and I don't trust myself to type without looking at the keyboard right now. I blame the intense painkiller, which is making my head feel really weird right now... Also, I'm not sure that anything I said in this post makes sense at all. My brain feels kinda cloudy...

Dai?
                      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Oooohh, poor kk!!!!! When I had my wisdom teeth out, all they gave me was the painkiller and the antibiotic.. =( I got vicodin (just like House! hahaa) and this antibiotic called amoxcillian, which I kinda take all the time anyway. I don't remember being in much pain, but I was also out of it a lot. I remember being in the waiting room, I don't remember meeting the doctor or anything, and then the next thing I remember is walking out to my mom's car. And I know for the next few days, I spent a LOT of time with a LOT of cotton sticks, which became my best friends, and I watched most of Jumanji.

I'm going to bed too... my brain's pretty fried. Emotional distress..... *sigh* Hopefully all the college work will ...distract? me. Hopefully. Ugh. Life. Thank god we have books.

Comment

• Not gonna lie, kk, I am impressed that you are managing to type at all if you are that medicated. I hope your face isn't all swollen. My cousins got theirs out two days after Christmas and looked like chipmunks for about a week.
                          As for the other part, the second part of your description sounds like what I understand of synesthesia, but the first part sounds more like normal memory recall. Sounds and scents can evoke memory better than visual stimuli. My psyc professor recommended chewing a strongly scented gum when studying, and chewing it when taking the test. Or if you listen to music when studying, humming it in your head when taking the test.
                          I always thought that it would be cool to see words though. To have a color you actually see when you hear a number. It would be wild for one of us, but to people who have it, it is just their norm. Perspective is nifty.

And textbooks are depressing. I dropped over a hundred and fifty dollars on just three of my spring classes today. I still have two more classes to get books for, and one the total per class is looking at about another hundred.
                          I hate textbooks and their publishers and authors and everyone who perpetuates that system.

Slightly later...:
                          I was looking around, and read that many people with synesthesia try to paint their depiction of what it is like to live with.
                          http://images.google.com/images?sour...ed=0CBYQsAQwAA
                          Last edited by illiriam; January 16, 2010, 01:05:12 AM.

Comment

• Poor kk.
                            Yes, that does count: any connections between two senses/memory/personalities etc works. For me, certain musical scales (though not individual notes) have feelings or flavors, like a minor is cleanly sad, and g harmonic minor is angry. Also, certain equations have 3-D shapes- the formula for displacement, x= vo(t) + 1/2(a)(t) has lots of corners- which is reeeally helpful with my physics. Once I figure out what shape 'holes' a problem has, I can fit the right equation 'shapes' in.

The problem is when the question is asked in a different way or when I have to combine equation patterns, because it's hard to find a new pattern of holes...

Wow, the above is rather strange, is it not? My brain work in mysterious ways.

Randomness: I'm listening to U2's War album right now. It's old...came out in like 1980's...and I like some of it but not all. It's got a kind of cool sound, not 80's at all, but I have a love/hate relationship with U2. The only reason that I know about them is my dad's love for them (they're his favorite band), so he plays them constantly. I remember listening to U2 when I was three. That and the later Paul Simon songs. I used to ask for 'the lion song' all the time, which was actually "Under African Skies". Somehow it got tangled up with The Lion King in my toddler mind.

*Grumble* I've made 3 posts since reaching the 100 mark and they're not counted. My counter's gone ballistic.
                            Last edited by SilveredBlue; January 16, 2010, 01:07:11 AM.

Comment

• KK... what painkiller did they give you, exactly? *washes codeine down with coffee*

And... *smiles and raises hand* I have synaesthesia, too. Grapheme/ordinal-personification synaesthesia, to be exact - which is to say, that's the proper term for the number/letter personality association that kk describes at the top of this page. I get it with letters, numbers, full words, sounds, pretty much all of them.

As for the wisdom tooth thing... I can't have two of mine taken out without major surgery, as they're at a 45-degree angle to what they should be, horizontal under the skin of the roof of my mouth. They're only really a problem when I have a cold or a sore throat, though...

Edit: Oh, and Blue, posts in this thread aren't counted, or I'd have about 150 by now rather than my pitiful 100.
                              Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• RB: can you remember which Marx Brothers's movie it came from. I know I've seen it but I can't remember (I actually remembered this quote because it's on the back of a philosophy book I have).

Wolf: Russian Blues are cats which, as the name suggests came from Russia. In Russia they were looked up to for keeping mice out of the palace of the czars. They actually are blue-ish silver, but more blue. If you look it up on Google the image results they show you are good. And for Xbox Live I was more just looking for someone to play online with.

Anyone: What are those point things we get for posting and being on for?
                                "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
                                X