No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue: Yes I played football but only touch football. I don't watch it much, only the Colts games since I'm a Colts fan. I know everyone probably thinks I crazy for playing football at what is here 9 in the morning in the winter. It was only 34F today but thats warm compared to a couple weeks ago when it was 3F when we started.

Does anyone here have any experience with the People to People student ambassadors program. I just went to an informational meeting about it today for a trip to Australia, unfortunately I can't go this year maybe next year though.
    "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Triala: Yes, yes I am. Although I was an avid fantasy fan since the age of 6 when I read the Blue Fairy Book and all the other colors (including olive, brown, lilac, and grey), with their beautiful illustrations of such lovely ideas as the sultan who died from a poisoned book after cutting off his wise man's head so that it could be brought back to life and advise him.

Yeah. Well, most of the tales were well written and illustrated (lots of lovely flowing gowns), and most of the connotations and violence went right over my head. So anyway, I don't know how mundane a 9-year-old is who walked around with her head in a book half the day. Actually, I still do that.

Comment

• Don't worry Blue, it is likely that you caught it in time and will never be mundane again. Especially since you've been on here for so long.

I was also never really into science fiction either. I liked fantasy books, but only certain ones. I was picky. This past year though, I have tried quite a lot of new books, many of which were discussed on this forum, or at least were name dropped by members. I am finding that I like more fantasy books than the ones I used to read, different flavors of fantasy if you will. I have tried science fiction and liked it and have even gone over some younger age group books and was shocked that I missed them.

I was thinking about this since come February, it will have been one year since I joined. Woot woot.

I don't think that the sun ever actually rose today. I can't prove it, but I just know that I didn't see it at all. Rain and fog. All. Day.
        I drove across a bridge today and my only reassurance that there was land on the other side was the cars coming at me, since I couldn't see anything through the fog. It would have been a perfect day to sit and read and knit and finish the scarf for my dad, but I visited my grandma and spent the whole day there since my christmas present came in the other day, and we had lunch together. She got me a taser. Okay, not really a taser, but a stun gun. For when I have classes that go past dark. Now I have a stun gun and pepper spray. I guess I am glad to have them, in case I need them, but I really hope I don't. All the same, I kind of want to taze (tase?) someone. And shout like, locomotor mortis or something at them.

Comment

• Are any of you taking part in the fandom auction to help Haiti recover from the earthquake? (If not, why not? )

I am... offering fic and icons (yes, YW is included in the fandoms), a signed copy of Wicked and an English care package.
          Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• illiriam... do you mean to tell us that your Grandmom got you a taser??!!! That's... that's so freaking wicked!!!

Me, I've always been into science fiction / fantasy... although I read pretty much everything I could get my hands on.

It was cold and wet and rainy and miserable here today, too.... I think that really affected my mood. Besides snooping (because I have to) and finding out more bad news, I have to go back to school tomorrow... which feels like a jail now... so I guess maybe it's understandable to be in such a miserable mood?

But my family's been watching movies all day, so that's cool. That god for Comcast's movie channels. =P Speaking of which... if you ever get the chance to watch the movie "Mulitiplicity" .........don't. It's weird, kinda sounds cool, but it makes no sense and is confuuuusing! LOL. It's about this guy who chooses to clone himself to make life "easier," and of course the opposite happens... and hilarity ensures.

So last night I went through my bookshelf! Good news is... it looks clean now! Bad news... I made a tower -yes, a TOWER!- of books that I haven't read yet and really want to read. There's 47 books in this pile. I'll find the picture sometime after dinner.... I swear to you all it's almost as tall as I am. Which means I think it's 4 feet tall.
            ..................~*Wolf*~..................
            AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
            Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• *edges slowly away from illiraim and taser* Um, I think I'll go now...

Wow, a lot of oldbies came back for the final AWoM contest! Stay! Post! thinks: *post enough to cover up for my own obssessive posting!*

Triala: I caaaan't! I wish I could! I don't have a credit card or any means of paying over the internet. Poor Haiti. No, "Poor" isn't enough, 'horrible' and 'augh' are more correct. If I was old enough I'd fly over there and help. Maybe I can donate by going to the Red Cross, or asking my mom and dad to make a donation for me.

It's so sad. Did you know that although Haiti had 3 million people, they only had sufficient police and fire department resources for 2,000? Which meant that building codes, etc, were basically nil. My uncle was there a while ago, and he said that most of the city was shanties built on hills- no concrete or steel to withstand any kind of shocks.

Wolf: lol. 47 books?? What are they?
              I have stacks of library books usually, but if you were to make an "unread" pile from my large bookshelf, you'd have a pile of exactly one. (Here There Be Dragons, the Imaginariam Geographica series- I could not read it. It was just too confusingly jumbled. Too bad, since it was an impulse buy and it looked good.) Nearly everything else in my bookshelf has been read at least three times...I'm the sort of reader who first gulps down a book to get the major stuff, then goes back and reads in more detail each time.

Of course, that didn't work with either W@W, Deep Secret, or Hexwood (by Diana Wynne Jones). I had to read throughly or else I got lost. But it was worth it.

Comment

• Illiriam: That is kinda cool. My parents or grandparents would never trust me with a taser.

I have lots of books in my room that I either wasn't able to get into or I haven't tried to read yet, but that is because we have too many books at my house. I don't have time to read them all.

Wolf: I know how you feel with your mood reflecting the weather. Mine does that occasionally like last week it was rainy and yucky and I was feeling depressed.
                "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• SilveredBlue: Do you want me to seriously list all of them??! Oh, gosh. I don't even know. It's so weird... I always see these books, buy them, get kinda attached to them, put them on my bookshelf... and... five years later... *sheepish grin* So I made a tower of them... I'll deff have to upload that picture. I would right now, but my phone's upstairs charging. >_<

Right now I'm watching the Golden Globes... don't ask me why as I usually don't like them... but I saw that were on and was like "oOh!" So...

Comment

• Just maybe list the best ones. I need new reading material.

Actually, I like rainy weather. It's very cozy at night to hear it on the roof, and a misty morning has a sort of sweet melancholy to it.
                    (I wax poetic about rain because we really don't get it much and I love it...see my "location" widget.) Whenever it starts raining I go out and get wet all over. I haven't got a cold yet...

How can you be watching Golden Globes an hour ago....? Ah. Different time zones.

It's been a crazy week, but I finally have some time to work on my Helena-meets-Sker'ret fanfic! (and finds out Ponch is gone...)

It's fun.

*typetypetype*

Comment

• I think I'm going to write a bloggie thingy when I go through all these books... gosh, there's so many. I actually had this fun idea of taking a poor charcter, giving her a base story, and writing chapters based on my feelings and thoughts that I've had while reading all those different books. It sounds so fun to write, and I think it would be fun to read, as well. =)

Whoo! Helena stories!! Please, please tell me when you have a few chapters written out- I cannot wait to read.

Comment

• Note on the stun gun: I commute to my university classes. I drive about half an hour to class, and quite often, I end up having class past nightfall. And the town that my college is in has a notoriously high crime rate and even some gangs. My grandma and aunt were really concerned when they found this out. Hence a stun gun as a Christmas present...

Oh! Did anyone good win a Golden Globe? I totally forgot about them.

I normally like rainy weather, but we have had too much. Our yard is one big mud puddle. Our dogs (two little white bichons) just got bathed yesterday and they came in looking black. We were excited when it froze because the mud froze too.
                        I was excited tonight because we got a thunder storm. I love lightning. And the sound of thunder coming through the rain.

Wolf I made a pile and list too! My list got too big, kind of like yours, so I cut it down only to ones that I haven't read yet. I was shocked to see so many still on the list. I guess it came from being away at school the past few years. Not all of my books made transitions and so new ones got put in boxes with old ones. Redoing my bookshelf last month helped me find them. As it is, there is still a list of almost twenty books on the revised to-read list once I finish the Lord of the Rings.
                        My new Harry Potter books are one that list, so without them it is more like 13. But they can be counted as not read since they are the British editions. I am ridiculously excited to read and compare the differences.

Comment

• illiriam, i must say, i am laughing SO. HARD. at your little doggies!!! I don't have a white dog, but my black dog sure loved bounding through the white stuff when it came down. =P

Oh, my giant tower of books? I forgot to mention that it does not include the series I am currently reading... Anyone hear of Diana Gabaldon? I'm reading her Outlander series... very mature set of books. Definitely in the "adult" section. But my god it's brilliant.

The point I'm trying to get at here is that there's sex. So therefore, adult. Ahem. Very adult.

But yes! I finally sent the picture from my phone to my computer. =) I'm 4' 11" and this tower is just above my chest... so... how tall do you think it is? I stink so bad at math.

Comment

• Oh. Dear. Lord.
                            That tower of books looks amazing. I had to relocate my tower back into the bookshelf after I knocked it over.

I have heard of Diana Gabaldon. I only know this because I stumbled upon an old copy of Voyager that was my mom's in an old box of her books. I haven't read it yet. And... nope, it is not on my to-read-list.
                            Gotta find a pen and fix that.
                            Do you enjoy her writing style?

Oh, and as I went to get Voyager out of the chest I use for book storage, I found my Shel Silverstein books. He was awesome. I can't wait to read them to my nephew. Should I put them on The List?

Comment

• Oh my gosh. Love her. However... you can't just start with Voyager. I think that's the 4th book in the series. I'm on the third book myself; it seems a lot of women on both sides of my family have read all of them already! Gosh.

Shel Silverstein!!! I definitely "awwwed" at that sentence. I loved him!! I used to read the two books we had of him over and over.

Right now I'm watching Pearl Harbor... there've been some awesome WWII movies on lately. I watched Patton the other day... that guy was insane.

Poop. I have to go back to school tomorrow. =( Don't wanna be here, don't wanna be there... think I wanna be home, more. *sighs* Ah, well. I'll be bringing my YW books for our discussions and my Gabaldon books to keep me sane in the tough times. =)

PS...... I am secretly in love with and afraid of my tower of books. <3

Comment

• Um, maybe the tower's 4'6? Wow. *salivates* Yummmmy books, yum yum....Hey, does your bookshelf want to switch insides with mine? 'Cause mine feels like the inside of Nita's fridge in WH: empty. Hey, it'd be "broadening to switch insides with a collegue"...*whips out Manual from claudication*

Can you tell me what that navy blue, thick book with the silver words is? In the middle of the stack. It looks like Garth Nix's The Seventh Tower omnibus. And that orange one beneath it? I'm curious because I couldn't read the spines.

Illiriam: Put Dragon and Thief (Timothy Zahn) on The List too if you like good, solid sci-fi space stuff. It's really fun.

And put Hexwood on there. And Dark Lord of Derkholm. Diana Wynne Jones is brilliant. And yes I harp on this.

Comment

Working...
                                X