No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kk: Hey, I had some blue-food ideas. You could puree hummus with blue food coloring. Or you could (somehow) mix blue food coloring into soft goat cheese. OH! Then you could call is "shesh"! Except then Quelt's disembodied dad might swoop in and start lecturing you on true shesh. Snort.

Or blue celery. I'm sure everyone's done the elementry-school thingy where you stand the celery in water and food coloring and watch it go all different colors.
    Blue corn chips. Blue salsa. Blue bread (it'd have to be homemade. Or really, really, old.). Blue ice-cream. Blue Jello. Blue spaghetti. The list goes on and on.....

If we ever (somehow) do a YW forum members meeting, I'll handle the refreshments. You can probably guess the menu.

Garrett: I've listened to a few Librivox- Flatland was the latest, I think- but I'm not a good reader. My mom always says my essess (?) are too soft because of my braces...you wouldn't notice in normal conversation, I think, but when reading it's pretty noticeable. Sigh.

When I get "these torture things off my teeth!" then I'll contribute. I like reading aloud. I read the whole of the YW series aloud to my sister.

Bonus points if you recognize the quote. Hint: the book is about the agonies of housebuying. And the money thereof. And it's hilarious.

Comment

• Wow, so many new posts!

Uhhh, someone mentioned laundry... at least you CAN do laundry. Our less than 4-year-old washer broke last Thursday... we had to go to the laundromat with 4 loads of stuff. We've had dreadful luck with appliances... not sure if it's the dealer we were getting them from or if it's Whirlpool, but we're very frustrated. We got an LG front-loading washer (more economical than top-loading) and a Frigidaire oven (the 20-year old Magic Chef's control board is shot)... hopefully they'll last us a while. They won't be here until Thursday, though....

SNOW! We've had quite a bit of snow and cold weather here in CT. I love the snow; it's pretty, fun, and disturbs school! I also like the cold weather... I sleep with my bedroom window open and get fresh air. I think this helps the fact that I almost never get sick.

I sang (sung?) in my mom's church's choir for Lessons and Carols. I enjoy singing in church... that was my first time ever in a formal choir. It was difficult and frustrating at first, but I enjoyed it towards the end. I sing bass.

Sorry I can't post more, but dinner's just about ready!
      "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Just back from a three week holiday in Western Australia. We went down to Augusta and Cape Leeuwin, and drove through lots of forest, and had a look round Jewel Cave, and also (after we got back to Perth) went to the Gravity Centre at Gingin. It was a good holiday, but coming back to snowy UK was a bit of a temperature shock; from 30C days to 3C days...
        -- Rick.

Comment

• 3C, Leopard? You're kidding, right? It's been a lot lower than that the past couple of weeks, lol, just be thankful you didn't get back when it was -15! :P
          Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• My loft thermometer is reporting a minimum of -2.5C and a maximum of 12.5C for the three weeks I was away. Of course, it's not quite outside, so it won't have got the full benefit of the winter. A friend nearby has recorded -10.5C in the last week or so. Frankly, I'm glad it's not in negative territory at present.

Australia was a lot of fun. Bushwalking's great when it's not too hot, and the sea was cool enough to enjoy swimming without being too cold. There was a bit of excitement about sharks, but not at any of the beaches I visited. There was also a nasty wildfire or two, but again nowhere near anywhere I went. The Gravity Centre was very much a Kit or Dairine kind of place. They've got a large old meteorite, and a hunk of Skylab, and a tall leaning tower you can drop water balloons from...
            -- Rick.

Comment

• Oh, god. I can't even tell you how big of a black cloud hung over me on Monday. All I'm trying to do is leave the bad parts of my past behind me, and go hang out with my friends, and of course...

*sigh*
              My monday started out with the monthly awesomeness. Then I had to drive with my dad. Which is pretty much the worst experience ever. I dove pretty much all day with him in the passenger seat, with him yelling at me and preeeeetty much telling me how incompetent of a driver I am. Then in the late afternoon, we had to go to the family counselor person, because my parents are convinced that we're this dysfunctional thing. And then FINALLY I got to hang out with my friends. That was all fine and dandy, and rose my spirits a lot, except.... I backed into a pole (thankfully no damage!!), I got pulled over by a police officer (thankfully no ticket!!!) and then I blew my tire (thank god my dad didn't kill me!!!!). I thought my night was over, and I was actually going to come on here and talk to you guys... except then I got really sick.

*cries* Someone cheer me uuuuuuuuupp!!!!

kk + SilveredBlue- You guys have gone nuts with your blue food! You're tasting it first you know... I think the last time I dealt with food dye I was a kid, and I do hope it's improved since then. Dying eggs for easter and then eating them... well, the food dye didn't make them taste too good, in my opinion. But I think it'd be hilarious to see us all sitting around a table eating blue food!

(kk, how do you grow blue potatoes??!!)

EricG- i think that's the same washer we have... I love our front loaders. They're great! And... I was the genius who got melted butter stains on her hoodie, lol. I'm gonna assault it with stain removers later =P

Leopard- Australia?! That's amazing! Hope you took lots of pics

Trilia- What is it with you people and your non-Fahrenheit numbers... lol. You realize in my mine you're speaking in code, right? Heehee...

Leopard- Guess you posted right before I did, just saw your post.... aaahh meteorite?!!! That's so cool!!!
              ..................~*Wolf*~..................
              AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
              Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• Wolf - How's this? It's been down to -0.5 Fahrenheit here in Manchester for a couple of days in the last two weeks, and mostly hovering around 5-10F at the most
                Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• Weather's been cold here, too -- mid-20s Fahrenheit in the day, early to late teens in the night. I actually sleep with my window open for fresh air. Meanwhile, I sleep with our time/weather station on my nightstand to serve as my alarm clock, and according to that, it never got below 50 degrees in my room last winter.

Wolf: Speaking of being a genius with butter, you just reminded me of myself several years ago when I put a stick of butter in the microwave to soften. This is the old type that had an aluminum wrapping... lots of pretty lights as soon as I hit the "Start" button. It sounded like something was exploding....
                  "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• lol. I'm loving the fire and butter stories. I once managed to set a dishrag on fire... Luckily no one but me was at home at the time, and nothing but the rag got damaged. My parents laughed themselves silly when they found out. lol.

It's been unusually cold here too. It's really warm today, 32 degrees F. The past month or so it hasn't gotten above 15 degrees F.
                    "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

• Wow...I haven't been on for a few days, and I had to read like 30 posts to be caught up. But now I am.

A few pages back you were talking about Terry Pratchet. I haven't read the Discworld books, but I have read Nation and it was really good.

Another good book that I just finished last night is The Book Thief, which someone also mentioned. I won't give stuff away, but the ending was really sad. I cried, and that's not something I do for every book.

If we were ever to have a Forum party, we would totally do blue food. No one is allowed in without some blue food! Makes me think of Percy Jackson. But organizing it would be hard, we would have to figure out who lives where and try to find a middle location. Middle of the Atlantic, anybody? I know we have Ireland, England, USA, Australia, and New Zealand. Any Canadians?
                      Last edited by estar9821; August 19, 2011, 04:55:16 PM.
                      "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

• If we do have a party it should definitely be somewhere they go in the YW books if at all possible the crater on the moon but seeing as that would be difficult maybe one of the places in New York or Ireland would be better.

estar: I never even thought about that relationship between Percy Jackson with the blue food.

Silveredblue: thank you for the new names just what I needed. I now go by Nick, Nicholas, Ryan (if a teacher can't figure out how to read the roster), Mick, and whatever the other names you said were.
                        "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Gah, I don't even know what the temperature's been... I used to check weather.com all the time, and since I've been home for winter break all I know is that it's cold!

Eric- Haaaaaaahh!!! That's great! Oh, god. Metal in the microwave. Did you break the microwave?! (You all know about my toast debacle, right? I unplugged the toaster and it was really funny when my mom was like, "Oh, yeah, by the way.. why is the toaster not plugged in? O_O" Haha)

Bookgirl- A dishrag? How'd you manage that?

Estar- I can imagine it now... one of us as the door, a knock comes, "What's the password?" A pause of silence. "Blue food is the bomb." And a person walks in with a giant bowl of blue cheese dip for the blue tortilla chips. =D
                          Middle of the Atlantic, anybody? I know we have Ireland, England, USA, Australia, and New Zealand. Any Canadians?
                          Hmm. At some point we have to make / dig up a "where are you from" thred...

NickRyan- I love your idea. I could easily take a train up to New York... although I'd be absolutely delighted to meet you all on the moon. ^_^

To add to the randomness of this thred, I'm watching Biggest Loser with my mom again... she's flipping between this and American Idol, which I HATEEEE now. While her brain seems stuck on the idea that Idol is still good, I used this "creative" sentence to convince her to change the channel back... "Mom, I wanna watch fat people get yelled at!!!!" Eh heh. I know it sounds mean. But the trainers are really harsh, and gosh darnit, now I like the show, so...
                          ..................~*Wolf*~..................
                          AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
                          Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• Wolf: Hugs! Sympathy! That's a reeealy bad Monday.

Bookgirl: I did almost the same thing. I put buter with a piece of foil on it in the microwave, and when it sparked I freaked out. I was nine and I thought the mircrowave was on fire, so I started screaming. Very loudly. My mom thought I had broken a bone.

Estar: Percy Jackson??? I never thought of that! Huh. Another reason to add to my Ponch/Mrs O'Leary shipping list: their owners both like blue food.

Nick: You're welcome. I can give you more if you like. Mickey.

Just kidding. lol.

EDIT: I had to add this in. I just clicked on the link in Garrett's siggy, and oh my gosh it is the funniest thing I've ever seen. "Bite me alien bwoy!" "Am-est this face bother-ed?" looooool Thanks Garrett for making my day. :>
                            Last edited by SilveredBlue; January 13, 2010, 02:22:49 AM.

Comment

• "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

• Well, in sixty years hopefully the cost of space tourism will go down and then we can all be a bunch of old people floating around in zero gravity with blue lasagna hovering throughout the craft. I don't think the pilot would appreciate us that much. Especially if the blue Coke exploded...and we'd all be talking in the Speech. Yeah. We'd never be allowed on board a spacecraft again.

Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever really had any trouble with microwaves and fires...
                                "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

Working...
                                X