No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy crap Blue, you're GOOD!! That blueish book IS Garth Nix's "The Seventh Tower." ^_^ MAN!

Tell me, is it fantastic? I can't remember if I got it for a present or bought it, but remember thinking it looked decently good and an interesting read, if only.

As for the orange one beneath it... umm... the light orange one above it is probably "The Science Behind Harry Potter" or "The Science of Harry Potter" or whichever the title really is. As for the one beneath it... poop. I'm gonna have to get off my butt and look it up now.

It's called "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold. Since it's in the middle, there's nooo way I'm picking it out to look at the back for the summary.... but I remember thinking it was good. And it's the same author who wrote "The Lovely Bones," so I knew it would be a good read. And no... I haven't seen the movie yet. Looks good, though...
    ..................~*Wolf*~..................
    AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
    Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• Thank you, thank you...*bows* The red bits on the end were a giveaway.

Is it good...ummm....I liked it. It's got some really interesting concepts: light is manipulated for many effects using 'sunstones', kind of like lasers taken farther. The Chosen, those who manipulate light, are ranked in a caste system called by the colors of the rainbow: Red is lowest, and Violet highest. Shadows are the servants of the Chosen...well, I won't give away too much.

It's one of his earliest works, so it does feel kinda unpolished, but I like all the imagination; I'm a sucker for cool worlds. Sooo...try it. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not. If ya do...order the other omnibus from the library, because there are six books in all and book 3 ends on a cliffhanger.

Edit: There are 45 guests! 45! Where's they all come from?

Sorry, I like seeing who's online I was kinda shocked. Usually there's 3 at most.
      Last edited by SilveredBlue; January 18, 2010, 02:13:55 AM.

Comment

• Oh, crikey! With my luck, of course it would.

Like I said, I think I'm going to have fun with my Tower... It'll be a story for readers- I'll have this poor character, and each part of my story will be the title of the book I'm currently reading... and whatever the poor character has to go through is based on the current book.. =)

What's an omnibus mean, anyway? Just a series of books that's more than a trilogy [I'm guessing] ???

Edit: 45?! Last time I checked it was only 35! Who are all these people and where did they come from?! LOL
        Last edited by Wolf; January 18, 2010, 02:22:10 AM.

Comment

• I think an omnibus is a collection of a series. There's three in the first, and three in the second.
          Now there's only 20. Hmm.

Maybe it's a counter error, since half appear to be looking at the same thing at the same time...

Right now I'm watching "The Art of the Violin" and despairing. Well, not really, but my pieces seem like pitiful pigeon scratches next to these guys (and gals). It's heartrending listening to them- Elgar, Ysaye, Krisler. auuuggh. I love it and I could never do it and I waaaant tooooo...*moan*

Ignore my musician temprament side. Listening to fantastic music makes me mushy. Kinda like this smilie, sometimes:and then this one:
          Last edited by SilveredBlue; January 18, 2010, 02:57:05 AM.

Comment

• Haha I noticed that too... although one is registering, I saw! Whoo!

I'm so tired I have no idea what to say. kk and I are having this amazing chat about books, and I'm sure I have something to contribute to the ToGR.... you know, except for the fact that I had to engage my brain to remember the word "contribute."

So I've been playing Pokemon recently. I think I need to break up with Pikachu or when I get to college my studies will suffer. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to leave Pika and my gameboy behind. =)

I'm hungry. But I won't eat because it's 1:40 in the morning. Other than that... my brain won't engage. I get to move back into my dorm tomorrow. Whoo. Not. Well... guess I'll be seeing you guys when I'm back in my dorm room! I'm so glad to have portable friends... lol.

Comment

• *chuckling* If we're posting books... there are photographs of my extensive bookshelves at my last place here. (Yeah, I've got more since then. *G*)
              Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• My bookshelves are overflowing too, and now their messy because new additions don't fit and are placed in the cracks between old ones and piled above them and between shelves and....someday it's going to explode. If you ever read in the newspaper about a family whose bookshelf exploded, causing their whole house to break apart, it's me.

I'm not very familiar with the more classic scifi stories, I think you guys are going to have to suggest a few books for me.
                Last edited by estar9821; August 19, 2011, 04:50:46 PM.
                "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

• I'll stay on the lookout for those suggestions. I really need to get to the county library, which has a better selection of non-academic books than does my school library. I haven't been to the county library since I went for a research project and the only book they had on my topic was a children's picture book.

Trialia, just gonna say this: jealous!
                  My bookshelf looks sad now. I just keep telling it that I will build it up someday.

And I seem to remember liking My Sister's Keeper. And The Hobbit, which I just read, so let me know if you want to discuss!

Wow, that is a lot of guests. 314 in the last 24 hours. Right now there are only 5 though. And I am the only member on! Ha Ha!
                  Wait, you guys have school? Our school district has off for Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
                  I would imagine that all or the guests were readers of the series who are getting anxious for AWOM and sent a search into the Google-realm. That is how I came to be here. I finished my books and wanted more YW.

Comment

• Well... I don't have school. *laughs* Too old. But yeah... I have even more books than that now, those photos are about a year old. I keep getting more... and there's only me in my household!!

Comment

• There's never enough space on the available shelves for all the books. It's just one of those things. Add a new shelf to the library, and in no time it's full of books and there's still a pile more that won't fit on it...

I committed LibraryThing last year, partly to see what I had. It suffers from the same problem; there's always another pile of books somewhere which havn't been entered yet...
                      -- Rick.

Comment

• I just joined the Library Thing! *sings* Woohoo, woo hoo hoo... Thanks Lazy Leopard!
                        I'm SilveredBlue there too, so you can recognize me.
                        And you have over a THOUSAND books? Wow, you and Triala could have a competition! Envy!

Triala: Wow, lots of cheerful books: The History of Murder, Macbeth, CSI Investigations...

Morbidness, anyone?

I've gotta upload my own bookpile here sometime...after I get it on LibraryThing! Eh, and after I finish reading my Shakespere homework. Off to read Much Ado About Nothing...

Tonight I'll put in this really funny poem by Ogden Nash about As You Like It. Promise.

EDIT: Ohmigosh, I got a Helpful Award! How'd that happen???

Comment

• *laughing quietly* No, no competition. I have just under two thousand, I'm afraid. I've only listed about 1200 of them on LT so far. And hey! I like reading about crime, lol, it makes me feel better about my life.

Comment

• wow. Just, wow. Like, wow. (See, I'm so amazed that I can't type coherently!)

And here's me with my two hundred at the most. Ah well, I'm on a limited income and eating comes a notch before buying Greek authors, to invert a quote.

Hey, I'm catalogueing books and I realized I have two Spindle's End 's (Robin McKinely), because the first one that I bought, um, four years ago? has a misprint. Chapter 14 stops halfway through, to be replaced by a chunk of 16 and 17, and after 17 is done it goes blithely on from 15 to the end in correct chronilogical order. HIGHLY confusing to read, but it's interesting. Could it possibly be worth something down the road, the same way misprinted dollars are worth so-and-so-much?

EDIT: ILLIRIAM! YOU WON THE ARC CONTEST!!! *confetti* *cheers* *blue food*
                            Last edited by SilveredBlue; January 18, 2010, 06:33:00 PM.

Comment

• Wolf: Hehehe, book...

Trialia: Books! Wow, that's a ton of books... ever counted them? How many would you estimate you had?

SilveredBlue: I warn you about LibraryThing; I've been there and done that, I've catalogued books there like crazy... until I realized that it has a limit. If you're a free user, that is. It's limited to 200 books, though I somehow got it to store 211 before it told me I'd exceeded its limitations. 200 books is less than half of my collection, so I was depressed, until I found another program that works amazingly:

The program is called BookDB (for Book DataBase), and it's free, and it can store unlimited books, and organize them, and you can even have people check things out and account for who has your books and when they're due back! I love it, it's amazing, and the website is here.

It's not as shiny as LibraryThing, but it works well and is pretty simple. Heehee, it makes me feel like I really do have my own library!

Speaking of which, there are pics of my bookshelves here and here.

And I have more books than that, but my third bookshelf is in a spot very tight and cramped, and there's no way to take a picture of it. Well, technically it's my fourth bookshelf; my third one is being occupied by about 100 vinyl records right now.

Oh, and those pictures were taken a few months ago, so they're even more packed with books now. The first one even has had another shelf added onto it since that picture was taken.

In the first picture, you might notice that I have a treasure chest on one shelf; those are my special books, the ones that are very important (my first copy of SYWTBAW, an old book of poems, a beat-up copy of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," etc). What I'm wondering is, does anyone else have a place where they put the books they own that are particularly special to them?

Edit: Illiriam! You won! Yaaaay! Congrats!
                              Last edited by kk; January 18, 2010, 06:41:52 PM.
                              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• I'm not sure if I want to join Library Thing or not... I mean, it looks awesome, but that means I'd have to go and find all my books... and liiiist them all... gack! It sounds like a *project.*

Meanwhile, I have arrived at the cage I call COLLEGE. More gack. However.... I made it a point to bring most of my YW books with me. =) The one with Nita's mom I am not bringing, mainly because it makes me too sad. However, I do have most of them. A Wizard Alone I also did not bring, because although I would like to read all about Daryl again... my copy is pretty much ruined. I don't remember what happened to it... but that might have been the book I was reading in the tub when I was a kid... and it fell in. Don't worry, I know I panicked. However, next time I'm at a bookstore, I do have to remember to buy another one...

Right now I'm watching Law & Order: SVU. It's helping the claustrophobia I've developed because of this room. I hate this room. It's a cage. And this campus... yes, I could go out and walk around, and wow did I have an amazing Celtic-Warrior-Princess moment (don't laugh!- it was actually a pretty powerful experience), but this place is a cage.

Which reminds me. I'm going to e-mail my advisor and request for them to send my transcript papers to Rowan now. Whoo! Here's to hoping I do get in, and won't have to worry about the alternative...

AAHHHH!!!!! MY COMPUTER JUST FROZE!!!!! By some miracle Firefox saved everything I had written in this form even though I had to shut down my computer.... I'm going to post this now.......

EDIT: OHMYGOD ILLIRIAM CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
                                Last edited by Wolf; January 18, 2010, 06:40:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X