No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dai, Aurie! I hope you have a nice trip!

My computer is evil. *kicks it*

Ah! School starts on Tuesday! I've got today, tomorrow, and Monday to learn everything I need to know about Animal Farm.

I had a frappuccino this morning, but strangely, I'm not exceedingly hyper. Well, I really don't have anything to say, so...yeah.
    <3
    the awesome like whipped cream || Queen of Nonsensical || Guardian Angel of YW || who *dies* a lot || but <3s everybody || who pours out her soul || and doesn't always say what she should || but is

Comment

• PM: Yep, that's actually where I heard of it. I know he didn't insult her. I'm just a little confused. Actually, for a few seconds the "I didn't know it was fantasy" thing destroyed my life. Just for a few seconds, though.

See, I wasn't really in to fantasy when I was younger. At first, I hated Harry Potter, but when my aunt bought me the books I felt guilty not reading them. I was hooked immediately. Although it wasn't the first fantasy/sci-fi I read (Animorphs gets that honor), it tipped the scales, and I began devouring fantasy books. HP, combined with meeting Steph (who recommended great books) the next year, has made me who I am today. It's made me the fantasy geek I am, it's what brought me here. Soon after reading them, I realized I wanted to be a fantasy author. So to find out that the writer of those books DOESN'T EVEN PARTICULARLY LIKE FANATSY, was rather devastating.

It's kind of obvious that he wasn't trying to insult her, but pointing out...flaws in the article. It's true that many authors have been forgotten, but it has definitely (in my experience) brought up sales, and goodness knows HP's brought up the length and quality of books for teens.
      Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
      "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
      "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

• Animal Farm- Based on the Communism revolution of Russia. The Pigs represent major communistic leaders. Stalin, Lenin, etc. The farmers are mistreating the animals so the animals rebel against them. Then afterwards the pigs take charge and eventually things go down hill from there. The pigs at the end learn to walk on two legs and make a alliance with the humans. So basiclly the farmers are Bloody Nick ( Nick named for a day when he sent his men to kill protestors) . The animals are teh itizens of russia. Russia rebels and pigs ( Stalin, etc.) take over. Stalin take complete power and the animals end up living the same way (or worse) then they did when the farmers were their owners. Thats the basic thing of Animal Farm.
        There is the Windmill which represents the factories built to make things to sel for money to other contries. stalin runs out Lenin and is treated like a god.... Hope I helped! I had to do it for school last year LOL
        ~Azen
        OMG I am so sore from aikido, we did our 2nd day of our seminar today. Song went great!
        In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Douglas Adams

Comment

• Ughh, I must be completely mad. Computer died, only in the "not really dead, it only restarted, I didn't even get Blue Screen of Death'd" sense, and I let it restart rather than just pulling the damn plug, like I usually do. *sigh* I think I was mad already just for staying up this late- and to get further on reading the whole of the YW forums, too. (Ehehe, it was the weirdest thing ever to see M saying Gryph didn't threaten people with death if they called her Skitty.)

I lost a VGDawn post though, when it restarted... which, considering, was not that great a loss. I might not rewrite it, because rewritings generally tend to suck, and the original sucked enough on its own without computer disasters thrown in.

*mutter* Should've guessed it'd die when I opened windows media player. It spazzed in the middle of Just Like You [Three Days Grace], even. Not a good sign, but all too common... oh, heh, and my windows media playlist is slightly insane. I have Left Behind [Slipknot] on now, but very shortly it'll be on the next song. *cough* The Middle [Jimmy Eat World]... (or, because windows media skipped that, now it's PotO soundtrack. Heh.)

Bbj:
          I AM BACK PEOPLES AND YOU BETTER GET USED TO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          If five exclamation points are a sure sign of insanity, I don't even want to think about enough exclamation points that a little word like "it" gets its own line.

Azen:
          *Sighs* TOGR doesn't seem random just seems like people are chatting about their lives. I thought peeps would be saying random " CHICKEN!" stuff like " POTATO!"
          Chicken good, potato good, lime punch made with ginger ale and jello-mix is better. (whoo, now I want punch.)

Gryph:
          As for iPods... I have iTunes, but not an iPod. All the same, I have a ton of music on my computer (over 2 days worth). There's only one song I want (all the rest, dad buys), and that's Flagpole Sitta by Harvey Danger. XD It's a fun song. For everything else, I just buy the album (support the band!).
          I have no iTunes, no iPod (iKit and iNita icon guilt, again), a very small CD collection, and <STRIKE>OW Take Me Out is LOUD after Save Me [Unwritten Law]</STRIKE> [<<not what I was gonna type] usually, after I buy something I take it off my windows media playlist... (Take Me Out [Franz Ferdinand]'s an exception, so's Just Like You, and I used to have Tourniquet [Evanescence] but I dunno what I did with it.) [goes back and edits in band names after a load of songs...]

Lisa:
          My really good friend went to England and brought me back and English copy of HBP! Yay!
          Ahhh luckyluckylucky want UK editions! *jealous* <STRIKE>except for that the US has a few sentances more in one part of HBP</STRIKE>

See, I wasn't really in to fantasy when I was younger. At first, I hated Harry Potter, but when my aunt bought me the books I felt guilty not reading them. I was hooked immediately. Although it wasn't the first fantasy/sci-fi I read (Animorphs gets that honor), it tipped the scales, and I began devouring fantasy books. HP, combined with meeting Steph (who recommended great books) the next year, has made me who I am today. It's made me the fantasy geek I am, it's what brought me here. Soon after reading them, I realized I wanted to be a fantasy author. So to find out that the writer of those books DOESN'T EVEN PARTICULARLY LIKE FANATSY, was rather devastating.
          I wasn't really into fantasy when I was younger the same way I am now. (it started out with princessy books, princessy books started having wizards, went through a brief period of Redwall being my favorite series, and then ditched the princesses and stuck with just the wizards.)

I dunno. HP not being incredibly high on my list of favorite books, I wasn't near devastated. Bit more like highly amused at JKR... still want to see what she does consider fantasy, if it's not what she writes. (also want to know how you can write about something you dun like.) (and because JKR didn't invent fantasy, like some people seem to think. Just made it horribly stupidly popular, half of it negative ["omg wizards, you so copied off Jo even though your copyright date is like twenty years before hers!!" Uh huh].)

Coherency has reached nil. G'night everyone. (or good morning. Nnghh.)

Comment

• Wildflower:
            I wasn't really into fantasy when I was younger the same way I am now. (it started out with princessy books, princessy books started having wizards, went through a brief period of Redwall being my favorite series, and then ditched the princesses and stuck with just the wizards.)

Comment

• Lisa said:
              It's made me the fantasy geek I am, it's what brought me here. Soon after reading them, I realized I wanted to be a fantasy author. So to find out that the writer of those books DOESN'T EVEN PARTICULARLY LIKE FANATSY, was rather devastating.
              One of the links in DD's post takes you to a Neil Gaiman post on his blog, wherein he uses Google to find a post suggesting she's read the Narnia books a few times. It's possible she does like fantasy, and that it didn't happen to suit the "reporter" to say that.
              Wildflower said:
              Ahhh luckyluckylucky want UK editions! *jealous* <STRIKE>except for that the US has a few sentances more in one part of HBP</STRIKE>
              The Canadian editions by Raincoast are apparently the same as the UK editions, so if it's the cover picture and the text (and lack of chapter illustrations) you want, rather than the Bloomsbury-ness of the UK editions, they might be easier to get in the US.
              Alla said:
              He eventually got me to read the Narnia books (after seeing the TV shows) and The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner
              Oh, I read those a few times each as a kid . It's very obvious from the Narnia books, which have loose pages (yes, I still have those old copies).
              Poor DD... I think we should do her a virtual cast or something. Like each of us do up a picture and we can put it up on a page and then send her the link. What do you guys think?
              Like Gryphon's Christmas tree? That's a good idea. Or like charms on Nita's charm bracelet?
              Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• I'm back from camping. Not like I ever said I left. XD Oh, and on impulse, I told PM I was going to Europe. It was hot, humid, and miserable. This camping site is filled with ticks, deers, spiders, and frogs. The deers weren't timid unless you tried to approach them. It wasn't that exciting. I went on a walk (SO HOT!!!) and refused to do anything after that. Well, I biked twice around the loop that our camp lot was at.

Umm... I read a little bit of everything. I s'pose. My mom was talking about it to another camper, saying, "Gryph reads everything." And to me: "Right?"
                "It's not like I read history books."
                Which... I don't. Do _you_?

I don't really care what genre it is as long as it's good.

*shrugs* Some people read fantasy to get away from reality. Open your eyes a little wider; the world isn't that bad.

My history teacher mentioned Animal farm.

See, what on with Russia was this: There were some "bad people" (I think it was the upper class) and then there were a couple of guys working up a revolt. And then they got this other guy involved, and the revolt happened, but guy three took over and other two guys... died. I think they might've been assassinated.

Oooh, I liked Redwall for a while, but then I got tired of them.

I used to love the animorhps. Wow, that was a long time ago. I think I read the majority of them by the time I... stopped reading them? I don't know why. And then I read a little of the end and decided it was boring. XD

I also remember reading an abridged version of the Count of Monte Cristo in 5th or 6th grade and loving it. Mom read it, loved it. I don't know when the movie came out, but we both decided it was nothing like the book. We also got the full version, but neither of us have read it. XD S'how stories go.

Or we could make a lot of random pictures (within size limit) and stick them all together, call them the YW universe.

Grawr. The mean lady was replaced with the mean couple.
                Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• I'm Back! Okay, so I didn't leave for that long, and I did get on once or twice...but I was gone for a little while, you have to admit...

I got my schedule, so here it it:
                  1 period Spanish 3
                  2 period Adv Algebra 2
                  3 period choir
                  4 period biology
                  5 period Monday Wednesday Friday Lunch
                  5 period Tuesday Thursday Biology lab
                  6 period first semester Military History
                  6 period second semester Health
                  7 period first semester Pop Culture
                  7 period second semester World Literature
                  8 period Adv English
                  9 period A.P. U.S. History

It seems like a LOT of work! I'm thinking about asking my parents and the guidance counselor if I can drop one or two of the semester courses, since I have to take at least 6 courses a semester, and I'm taking 8 courses each semester. *clutches head* I hate schedules, I had to go through the same thing at the beginning of 9th grade.

I finally got copies of the 1st, 3rd, and 4th YW book! (And no kli, I didn't steal them from the library. That'd be bad karma. ) We went to Border's yesterday, and I had a bunch of money from dogsitting, so I bought $50 worth of books. I know, but I'd wanted these books, and how often do I get to go to the bookstore without my mom looking over my shoulder to make sure I'm not spending, well, $50 on books in one go. I'm very bad at, well, restraining myself in the bookstore. Oh well.

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

• Congrats on getting the YW books! And I spend a lot of money on books, too. For me, money you spend on books isn't like money you spend on other things.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Gryphish:
                      Oooh, I liked Redwall for a while, but then I got tired of them.
                      Yeah, same here. The elementary librarian recommended them to me when I was in fourth or fifth grade, and I read all the ones in the library. After elementary school, I actually started buying them...well, like two or three, and it was more like my parents bought them for me. Meh. Now I don't particularly care for them nearly as much as I did before.

We had to read The Count of Monte Cristo in 7th grade. It was...alright. I wasn't crazy over it, but I didn't dread reading it like most people in my class did.

At the end of the year, the idiots in my class throw away the books we had to get for school. They completely destroy them by ripping out pages and doing all sorts of horrid things, then throw them in the garbage with their junk. *sigh* It's rather vexing.

I went to the movies with Zach, B (Zach's friend), J (a er...strange guy), Lovey, and C (one of the more sane friends of mine). We saw Dukes of Hazzard. I thought it would be extremely stupid and pointless, but it was actually quite funny. After that we got kicked out of Steak and Shake*. Yes, kicked out. We get seated, then Lovey orders a vanilla coke, and I order a Double Fudge Peanut Butter Sippable Sundae Milkshake. (*snort*) The lady person says, "The manager saw the table and won't let your order go through because all you ordered was a drink and a milkshake. I can make it to-go, but that's it. Sorry."

Me: *fumes* Let's boycott Steak and Shake*.

So, we wait outside for our parents to pick us up. By this time, only Zach, B, Lovey, and me are left.

(*For some reason I typed that "Sheak". Both times, in fact.)

So, yeah. I'm wearing this little black shirt with goldish embroidery with a khaki (er...) skirt. I had this sweater-ish thing to go on over my shirt, but I er...tore it. *sobs* It was brand new! Augh...so annoying. I think I might be able to fix it so it's not so noticable.
                      <3
                      the awesome like whipped cream || Queen of Nonsensical || Guardian Angel of YW || who *dies* a lot || but <3s everybody || who pours out her soul || and doesn't always say what she should || but is

Comment

• Originally posted by Angel_Star:
                        At the end of the year, the idiots in my class throw away the books we had to get for school. They completely destroy them by ripping out pages and doing all sorts of horrid things, then throw them in the garbage with their junk. *sigh* It's rather vexing.
                        Urk. That kind of thing upsets me, too. (I think one of the cruellest things publishers ever did to booksellers was making them rip off the title pages on returns/remainders.) But honestly, the book's not destroyed, just its physical duplicate. You can always go and buy another copy. It still sits on shelves, it's in the library. That's what I tell myself. It's why bookburning's an exercise in futility. As long as one person keeps one copy...

Myself, though, I far prefer to trade unwanted books in at a used bookstore for credit for other books. You should see if you could get people to give them to you for trading fodder...
                        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by kli6:
                          Congrats on getting the YW books! And I spend a lot of money on books, too. For me, money you spend on books isn't like money you spend on other things.
                          hehe Kathy, I know what you mean - its a lot more . But I would have to say that its worth it. Mum freaks out everytime that I want to buy a new book and its around the $20 mark... she still doesn't know about my second copy of HBP Or about the Doctor Who novel that I spent $19 on the other day.

THROWING BOOKS AWAY! Thats silly. I can understand trading them for other books at second hand bookshop or something, but throwing them away?! The closest that I've come to doing that was donating some old and ratty ones that I had to the local op shop (Salvos, Lifeline... not too sure what you guys have over there that equates to it). At least then someone gets something out of it. And its kinda funny when you find the book that belongs to you at one of the opshops (or at bookfest) It happened to me twice XD...

*huggles gryph* hope you had fun camping! I wish I was camping... I love it! Spending all day fishing, or climbing trees, or just doing nothing (or playing cards, or trying to avoid cans of food that get knocked into the campfire) and then at night toasting marshmallows... *drools*... or damper over the hot coals... yum. Hehe, I'm rambling. But yes, the only bad - well not so much bad as painful - experience I had while camping was spending three hours barefoot on rocks in the middle of the day trying to catch some mullet that we could use for livebait that night on the incoming tide. I could walk over _anything_ for that summer

Gotta go, my stomach is growling and there are other people waiting to use computers for things that resemble study more closely!

Alla

Comment

• I don't think I've ever thrown out a book...which is why my bookshelf is so full and I piled all the books I just got next to my nightstand. My mom is having a fit, my room is a pigsty right now.

Camping...did it earlier this summer, never want to do it again...except for the part where we got s'mores. And fried salami. Yes, fried salami. I HIGHLY recomend it, and I don't even like salami.

Angel_Star:
                            After that we got kicked out of the Steak and Shake*. Yes, kicked out.
                            That happened to me on the eighth grade trip to this nearby amusement park (I'm not saying which one, since it would be SO easy to figure out where I live if I said it, and no offense, but I don't want you guys to know where I live.) We went into a restaurant, and 8 of us got crammed into a really small table, and we all ordered side orders of french fries, since we were all broke by then from buying ice cream and stuff. They kicked us out because we didn't order any real dishes. At least we ordered something! I don't think they should have kicked us out.

I'm a bit tired, so it's bedtime for hungry. Dai all.

I just got an e-mail. Here is what it contains: OOOHHH!!!! A LIZARD!!!!!! -my best friend, who is crazy

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

• Sorry I have been gone the last 4 days. It was my Aikido seminar in Colorado this year. MAn I am so tired! (and sore) I did about 20 hours of martial arts practice over the last 4 days. THROWING AWAY BOOKS! NOOOOOO! I love going to borders and buying books.I usually can't go out of borders without two books! I was a bit sad when I found out that W@W didn't come out till october. At least Eragon 2 is coming out this month. i'm reading about 10 books right now. I tell myself to finish one book and move on to the next but What can i say, I REALLY LOVE BOOKS!Magazines are fun too but books are better.
                              In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

Douglas Adams

Comment

• I love homestarrunner.com, sorry I had to say it and anyways I got into reading like 6 years ago and I really dont think I have thrown away any books and I just keep getting more and more. I go into the library and they have this thing where you can buy books 25 cents for paperback and 50cents for hardcover, so I have like fifty million books and my bedroom floor is non-existant because its so covered with books because I ran out of space on my book shelf ages ago. My dad is making me donate them to a used book store and i'm sad.oo and I have an avatar now! Sorry that was very random, but im happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X