No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, since this is the topic of "Great Randomness" I thought I'd start off by posting here by putting in some completely random quotes that I find amusing. Most of these are taken by U of C students, but not all:

"and now, for something completely different"
    -Monty Python

From U of C liberal arts:
    "I know some of this sounds comical. But it's philosophy. Always good for a laugh."
    -Noel Swerdlow

From U of C physicists:
    first student: "So let's do some approximations..."
    second student: "Finally! Some real physics!"

"Nobody ever does use it. For one it's wrong. And for another it's just stupid."
    -Roger Penrose (in a lecture at U of C, giving a compelling reason to not use, well, it)

"If you are a 110-lb weakling and are taunted by a 600-lb bully, just ask him to step into momentum space!"
    -R. Shankar, Principles of Quantum Mechanics, pg. 138. (One more reason to never start a fight with those who understand the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.)

"This universe makes no sense, this universe in which you live. You knew that informally from all your life experience, but now you have that scientifically verified."
    -Sean Carroll

Now from the U of C mathematicians:
    "A few [problems] have been picked with malice aforethought."
    -Michael Spivak, author of Calculus (3rd ed., pg. 482) (At least he admits it.)

"The total body of knowledge about such functions can be summed up very easily: nothing one would hope to be true actually is."
    -Michael Spivak, author of Calculus

"In mathematics if we have problems we prefer to redefine things so we don't have problems."
    -Loren Spice

"The trick is stop before you go insane."
    -Spencer Bloch (On finding subgroups of the Galois group of Q(I17)/Q. Sadly, it was too late for him.)

For those of you who have seen this page before, you maybe surprised that it is much shorter. Well, that's because I cut it down for length and bandwidth purposes.
    ---------------------------
    "The law of entropy is just a complicated way of explaining why some things don't happen very often."
    -Norman Christ, Professor of Physics, Columbia University (Does the Lone One know this? :P)

Comment

• Good gravy that was a long post. And now for something completely different...WICKED!!!!!!! I got the soundtrack. I really like a few of the songs, but the rest of them seem kind of tuneless. That's just me. I really wnat to read the book now though.
      Oh yeah, swimming is finally over!!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!
      The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
      I promise not to funfun anymore
      Be happy cause life is good

Comment

• i know this might sound very stupid but that is what i am here for. Can i ask you guys to keep a look out for bradwart. he hasen't been here for a while because he was camping. he should be back. if any body knows where he is please let me know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cress:
          Good gravy that was a long post. And now for something completely different...WICKED!!!!!!! I got the soundtrack. I really like a few of the songs, but the rest of them seem kind of tuneless. That's just me. I really wnat to read the book now though.
          Oh yeah, swimming is finally over!!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!
          ::commences singing Popular::

The book is amazing, I pretty much read it in one day-a huge long-haul undertaking of which I was rather proud, if I may say so myself. Which I do.

Also, I heart the calculus quotes.

And I'm contemplating a name for the fish: Alfonso.
          Anyone?

vv
          PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
          Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

• what's wicked about?

so weird to be back on here. i haven't been on this site in a year!

summer almost over! nooooooooooo!!!!!

Comment

• Moeen, you aren't supposed to have posts just filled with quotes. Your posts should have some substance to them. A few quotes is well and good, but that is a bit overboard, if you ask me. Heh. Some people prolly disagree, but whatever.

I'm having somewhat mixed feelings about the end of summer. It'll be great to see all my friends again, but the work load...*groan* I won't be able to get on the computer as much, nor talk on the phone for hours on end like I do now.

Alfonso...sounds cool!

I'm having severe difficulties typing today. It's quite sad.
              <3
              the awesome like whipped cream || Queen of Nonsensical || Guardian Angel of YW || who *dies* a lot || but <3s everybody || who pours out her soul || and doesn't always say what she should || but is

Comment

• Moeen, you weren't here when we had people pelting each other with long lists of quotes, and I've forgotten to put it on the FAQ, but I think the limit should be around five quotes. Could you edit your post down? Or put it on a webpage somewhere and link to it, instead? Remember, DD's paying for all the bandwidth so that we can discuss YW. If it's not YW-related, then make sure it's at least discussion.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• No problem, I'll just leave in a few quotes I think are best, and I'll try avoiding this in future posts. I hope the current revision is more reasonable.
                  ---------------------------
                  "The law of entropy is just a complicated way of explaining why some things don't happen very often."
                  -Norman Christ, Professor of Physics, Columbia University (Does the Lone One know this? :P)

Comment

• Hem. I've been back from the beach for a few days now, but I was/ am too lazy to do that right away. Hey, you would be too if you had 280 unread e-mails. Geesh. I was at Ocean City for a week.
                    Beach = Fun.
                    Beach = Sun.
                    Sun = Sunburn.
                    Sunburn = Bad.
                    Beach = Sand.

Now, pause. Always, always, always, wear shoes to the beach. I did every day, from the beginning, but mom didn't the first day. So I was walking back, feet feeling normal, then mom came over and said "Give me your shoes" cuz she forgot hers. Then I had really bad foot burning. Silly mommy. Sand gets everywhere, including in your clothes/bathing suit, and now I have a chronic fear of sand.

Overall, the beach was awesome. I have a shell collection, I found a crab or fifty, I went on the boardwalk, I was fifty feet from the beach (it was an awesome condo), and I didn't buy anything. Heh.

Wicked! Oooh...You really shouldn't have asked what it's about. Now I'm gonna give you a detailed analysis. Just hold on til the end of the post. But your post is a little short, I think.

Moeen, the quotes are funny, at least to a math geek who hates math like me. (Yeah, I'm weird.) Just keep 'em a little less, and don't worry. I was the worst offender of the "quote pelting", with a post of probably over 1000 quotes. :O Everyone here is really nice and forgiving. Welcome!

Kaiba: I've been thinking about the Bakura chapter for my fic, and I decided there's not a song good enough. Never fear, though, because I decided to write a song/poem to go with it instead. Even so, I'd like your input to see if it's a good enough poem that describes him well enough. I'll post it in my LJ and link...hold on...okay done! Took like an hour, cause I'm IMing Steph, which is the first time I've ever IMed anyone for real...I'm such a loser...here's the link.
                    My LJ, AnaDarth
                    Founder of the "Posts for ToGR" foundation. Keep the ToGR alive by a donation of one post!
                    "But before the happily ever after, there was always a kiss." ~Misread, my novel-in-progress!
                    "If I wasn't smart, I'd be dead."~The Naming, by Alice Croggon

Comment

• Lisa said:
                      Now, pause. Always, always, always, wear shoes to the beach. I did every day, from the beginning, but mom didn't the first day. So I was walking back, feet feeling normal, then mom came over and said "Give me your shoes" cuz she forgot hers. Then I had really bad foot burning. Silly mommy. Sand gets everywhere, including in your clothes/bathing suit, and now I have a chronic fear of sand.
                      faithful_lioness@hotmail.com

Blue5star said summer almost over! nooooooooooo!!!!!

Comment

• We got our school schedules today.

Homeroom
                        1st period - Concert Band
                        2nd period - Honors English 1
                        3rd period- P.E.
                        4th period - Honors Geometry
                        5th period - Spanish 1
                        6th period - Bible 1
                        7th period - Honors Biology

*ish ecstatic* I got my 6th grade Lang./Lit. teacher for English! *dances around* She's awesome! I lub her soo much! I've got that class with Lovey, and band and...biology, I think, with her as well. B and I don't have any classes together. It's sad. *sigh* Same with Ally. *glowers* I haven't had classes with Ally since 6th grade. Zach and I don't have any classes together, though if I go into that Lovey will kill me. *mutters*

Of course, Lovey is too busy making all these neato layouts to talk on here even though I've told her to post. Ah well. Means she won't yell at me for...whatever.

I've got horse camp today and tomorrow and and Friday! And and and it's going to be ever so much fun and and and yeah!

*starts singing With Arms Wide Open*

Our neighbor's yard is being torn apart because the idiotic builder didn't make the ground high enough for the flood plane or whatnot. So his poor doggies are going to have to stay at his other house that he rents out to people but isn't renting out right now because some other idiots ruined it so he has to renevate it and make it all purty again. *breathes* That was a long sentence. Sorry. Anyways, the dust from all the junk is covering our yard. We have this glass table on our deck that is now brown. *sigh*

My poor puppy's gonna miss her boyfriend. The dogs won't be back for like a month.

Edit: Ah! I had more to say, but I hit the post button! Now I don't know what I was going to say! *glowers* Well, toodles for now!
                        <3
                        the awesome like whipped cream || Queen of Nonsensical || Guardian Angel of YW || who *dies* a lot || but <3s everybody || who pours out her soul || and doesn't always say what she should || but is

Comment

• I'll read up on ToGR later, but right now I want to make an announcement:

I FINALLY GOT MY DRIVER'S LICENSE!!!
                          ahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

*dances around, huggles everyone, then wanders off*
                          ~Rachel

Comment

• Rad:I FINALLY GOT MY DRIVER'S LICENSE!!!
                            ahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
                            LUCKY! I still have 1/2 a year until I can get my permit. But last night, my dad picked me up from where I'm dogsitting, since I was out walking the dog, and took me to gas station and made me learn how to pump gas...I'm taking this as a sign that he WILL eventually let me learn to drive.

It is so insanely hot here. Also, the power keeps going out and coming on. Have to finish this post before it goes out again.

It's Wednesday. I want my school schedule to come, so I can see what electives I've got. Oh yeah, now I remember: Angel, does your school not make you take history? Because it's not on the schedule...I'd hate it if my school wouldn't let me take history, it's my favorite subject. Just wondering.

Can't remember what I was going to say...oh welll. Maybe I'll come back and edit this in a few hours...or not. Dai for now.

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

edit: So....didn't feel like making a new post, so I'm just editing this one...yeah. It's early, early in the morning. Our electricity went off about 5 times yesterday (August 3) so sorry to people I was in chime with and got kicked out of because the internet died because there was no electricity.

Kaiba: if you see this, high school isn't that bad. Yeah, it does stink for awhile, but it does get better after a couple of months. Okay, it gets better if you aren't me. You'll accomplish plenty of stuff in high school that you'd never get to do in middle school or junior high. Okay, so most teachers are a little meaner, and stuff like that, but just stay out of the way of any upperclassmen you don't know, and you should be fine. Also, ignore any upperclassmen who go around saying that freshmen are stupid and annoying, and don't know school customs. They were all freshmen once too, so really they shouldn't be talking...man, at 12:30 in the morning, I get really philosophical... tomorrow (or today) is another day....good night...or good morning...good day?

Comment

• I've been old enough to have my liscence for alomst 6 months now (5 months and lessee..13 days? yesh), but I just got my permit at the end of june (my social security card came whilst we were in Ireland). So I'll be able to go for my drivers lisence test at the very end of christmas vacation this year. So next January: look out world, here I come! ::maniacal laughter:: So congrats Rad. Have mucho funfun.

My school schedule for the year is a lot better than I thought it would be. Although it would proabaly scare most people. My A-day schedule (we operate on a 6-day cycle, A-F days, with classes in the smae order, but starting with different classes first period):
                              AP Calc
                              AP Lit
                              AP Lit lab (on other days: Concert choir or concert band)
                              Whatever the senior religion class is
                              AP Chem
                              AP Chem lab (other days: Advanced theory and gym)
                              Computer Programming
                              Statistics
                              ...and no study halls. Once again. What's nice is that this year, I'm not missing band three days a cycle to do another elective. Which is nice. The only downside to the whole no study-halls thingus is that I don't get to be a library aide. Which really bums me- not only is being a library aide lots of fun, but the library's the only place in the school with central air. Making it a very desirable place to be. Oh, and my school does offer histroy, I'm just not taking it (seniors have choices between four semester-long courses: The 60's, Americana, Recent Events, and Criminology. Sadly, criminology filled before I could get in it. ::sniff:

vv
                              PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                              Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

• Caitlin:
                                And I'm contemplating a name for the fish: Alfonso. Anyone?
                                I'll be attempting for a Permit myself-- AHHHHH!!*

I'm so bored. My best friend came back from her wierd horse/dog/something-wierd fest Kentucky. The only time we made contact since she's returned was a very random IM conversation that went till 1:30 a.m. two nights ago. But now she's gone all day with one of my other friends, and they're working together all day at a horse stable. I don't exactly mind that they're doing that without me, because I'm not really that great around horses and I don't like riding at all, but I do mind the fact that I'm bored to death. Everyone else is busy or still away. Boring summer... and it's still so hot out...

I. HATE. THE. WEATHER. Why does it have to be so damn hot? It's like a broken over-heated sauna (how do you spell that?)

Comment

Working...
                                X