No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agent M: You're going to England and you think that's not interesting? *sighs*
    T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
    Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
    Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Hey, db, sorry.

Yeah, it is going to be most excellent. I am so excited.

Has anybody read anything by Juliet Marillier? She is really good if you like fantasy from old Briton and Ireland. good stuff right there. She has a series, and the first one is Daughter of the Forest. Good stuff, good stuff.

Dai
      Now aren't you happy that you read this!?

"What do you say to three shillings, andwe forget the name?"
      Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow- "Pirates of the Caribbean"
      :wigglesmile: :flycatcher:
      Now aren't you happy that you read this!?
      A sheperdess is quite a mess, but little lambs are lovely....

Comment

• That can't be as good as reading The Enchanted Forest series while listening to Mercy Me's latest CD "Almost There." Both REALLY good stuff.

~Sam (Hifun55)~
        "So," Harry said, "so does that mean that... that one of us has to kill the other one... in the end?" -HP year 5
        ~Sam (Hifun55)~
        Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
        HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
        My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

• GRRRRRRR!!! DB you're so mean!!! WAHHAAAAA!!!! I have to wait until MARCH!!!!! THHPt. Aurora, don't burst mine and ella's and sams and anyone else who wants to go to Venices Bubbles!!! Anyways it's not supposeds5t6e57uk89kloiu
          \uo
          oii
          i

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
          Look closely at your next subway token. And speak to strangers.- SYWTBAW 20th Ed.
          *Agent~M*
          "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
          "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
          "I could live

Comment

• GRRRRRRR!!! DB you're so mean!!! (Not really) WAHHAAAAA!!!! I have to wait until MARCH!!!!! THHPt. Aurora, don't burst mine and ella's and sams and anyone else who wants to go to Venices Bubbles!!! Anyways it's not supposed to sink for another 50 years or so!! So there!!!! And Db, could you tell me if it's good or not? And if Nadias in it? Por Favor? Hee Hee I know Spanish!!! And I understand some of it!!! I know that's really stupid that I don't know much but I'm supposed to.... BUt now I understand and I'm happy!!

*Agent~M*

"Thank you Jack" "Your welcome" "No not you, we named the monkey Jack" -Pirates of the Caribbean
            Look closely at your next subway token. And speak to strangers.- SYWTBAW 20th Ed.
            *Agent~M*
            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
            "I could live

Comment

• Oh I posted twice. The nonsence is Nancy Drew, she's over here. Putting toothpaste on my arm....... STOP IT!! Okay. Hee Hee... OOh! 52 pages!!!! Press on to 53!!!!!!!

*Agent~M*

*Agent~M*
              "I could live

Comment

• I've been to Antarctica. Trust me, Agent M, it'll be worth it when you get there. Just... not the smell of the penguins, is all. Think Zoo and add rotten fish and oil to it, and that's what a penguin rookery smells like.

The most amazing thing, though, is the sound the ice makes when it's calving off the glacier to make a new berg. It's like thunder, or a gunshot, or a handclap of god, and the echo goes on forever.

And the whales. The water's crystal clear and this dark dark blue, and the whales are numerous. We saw sperm and greys and minkes. Leopard seals (that's who's in the picture), fur seals, elephant seals. Adelie, gentoo, and chinstrap penguins. Terns and skuas and albatross. I saw jellyfish, and some weird invertebrate I'll never forget and about six different species of kelp and algae and lichens.

And the rarest thing we saw there was something one of our guides had to point out to us: rain. When you look at rain a different way, you know you're some place special.

Yes. Antarctica is definitely worth it. Even having to stay in Ushuaia and three days of seasick-making passage crossing. Worth it worth it worth it.

[This message was edited by kli6 on 16 September 2003 at 17:14.]
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Of course, I'd also think Christmas in England was worth it. :-) I adored the three months I lived in London. For a theatre-and-book-geek with a decided love of things British, there's no finer place to be.
                  New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Well it's just that I've been to England a million times so I'm used to it. And we never do much tourist stuff. Just stay around at my grandparent's house. You've been to Antartica!!!!!! LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY!!!!!!!! How did you get there? LUCKY!!!

*Agent~M*

*Agent~M*
                    "I could live

Comment

• See the trick of travel isn't necessarily where you go, so much as how you look at something. You can do the tourist thing in your home town--it's just a whole lot harder than doing it somewhere else.

But yeah, Christmas-with-relatives is usually a sit-still thing rather than a travel thing.

The Antarctica trip was because I had a friend like you, who, ever since she was 11, knew that she wanted to go to Antarctica and see the penguins. She grew up to be a travel agent (for a while), and she saw this great deal on a cruise to Antarctica, but it was for two people and she needed someone else to go with her. And I still owed her for accompanying me on a last-minute vacation in the UK. So, I cashed out my savings, and we went.

It was two weeks of travelling time, only three of which were days we spent on the tail/archipelago end of the continent (three days to fly down, two to cross the Drake Passage in a converted Russian research vessel, three days in Antaractica, with two landings each day, two days back across the Drake Passage and another three days flying back). We didn't go to McMurdo or the South Pole or anything. And as it was January, it was the middle of summer and it never got below freezing.

My friend's goal, travelwise, was to get to all seven continents before she was 35. She did it, too.

[This message was edited by kli6 on 16 September 2003 at 17:26.]

Comment

• That is so cool! My best friend would kill to go to Antartica and see the whales. She's been looking up trips online since 8th grade. Maybe we'll go when we graduate...

A Jedi Ewok
                        And proud of it...

Loyal reader of Harry Potter and Young Wizards books and great lover of Moon Cakes...
                        A physics geek
                        And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

• LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No fair! I wouldn't like to especailly go to Antartica, but I would kill to go to Egypt. i love anything about the Anchient Egyptians. They are so interesting.

~Sam (Hifun55)~
                          "So," Harry said, "so does that mean that... that one of us has to kill the other one... in the end?" -HP year 5
                          ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                          Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
                          HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
                          My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

• My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
                            OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                            --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• China twice, Hawaii once, lots of plane transfers, California....

The transfer in Tokyo airport I had wasn't that bad. six hours. I had a ten hour one in Hong Kong once....

Kitsune Rei

Comment

• Well, luck and good money management. ;-) I mean, I paid $4k for that trip. (The luck part was finding a $4k deal, since that was roughly *half* the going price).

Egypt would be fun. There's a writer of mystery novels named Barbara Mertz (she writes under the names "Elizabeth Peters" and "Barbara Michaels") who has a PhD in Egyptology and she takes trips to Egypt and then writes up these really cool trip reports.

Comment

Working...
                                X