No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe. I hope not, religion is a little boring unless you somehow make it interesting, speaking of religion, I have to go to church. Darn. Bye!

Evil will always lose.- Miep Gies
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

AHEM!
      1. Hi! I'm back! You missed me! Oh I'm so touched! Actually I haven't moved yet. I was away on a trip with my grandparents to Idaho. We got to go to Yellowstone! Which is like the coolest thing ever...we saw Old Faithful and the mud pots and tons of bison and elk and we saw steam vents which smell nasty and hot springs and all this other cool stuff!! Anyhow I'm back now.

2. Okay, before I start, I want to apologize in advance for anything I might say in the following rant that offends anyone. I'm just gonna let myself go. Furthermore, I do have some doubts on Noah's Ark and all that; I'm not gonna talk about that. Just let me start already!!
      Catholics are evangalists and don't take into consideration they might be wrong. I don;t hate them- but they annoy me. Some attempt to force their religion on you.
      I'm Catholic. I don't necessarily agree with everything in the Catholic religon, but the above quote did offend me just a tad. I'll admit it's true that some Catholics try to "force their religon on you." But you're stereotyping. You're forcing everyone into one big clump. I take into consideration that I might be wrong. I don't try to force my religion on other people. This is one of the things I'm proud of about myself: I accept other people's beliefs and don't try to change them. I have to say I didn't appreciate that quote when I read it.
      I just read that again and it sounded a little harsh, but I mean it all. I'm apologizing again now; I DON'T want to offend, but I felt that some reply needed to be made to that. I'm sorry.

*Ella*

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle."
      -Plato
      *Ella*
      "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
      There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
      And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
      What could mean more than this?"
      --Bright Eyes

Comment

Yea!!!!!!!!!! Ella's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hooray!!!! yes of course we missed you! (or at least I did) You cover........ I don't know how much percentage but more then most, I think you are in fourth of posts, Birdhead, Me, Rysade, then I think you so you cover a lot and you are interesting to "talk" to. Cool, Yellowstone! I've never been there but my grandparents have a lot of placemats from there. And I don't think I read that quote, who wrote it, Uh! Aurora! Like Ella I'm Catholic too, although I also don't believe in some catholic beliefs, but I take offense to that! Catholics are not annoying, am I annoying?
        ----
        AH!!!!!!!! 14 pages!! How long will this go for?

edited to combine posts - gf
        *Agent~M*
        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
        "I could live

Comment

Hi Ella! You're back... I missed you too!!

As to the Catholic thing... well, I'm actually on the opposite side to you. While Aurora may be stereotyping Catholicsm, she isn't really doing it by much- and though maybe she shouldn't generalise, I find it really easy to see where she's coming from, because as an atheist I have encountered Catholics, including one of my friends, who have tried to convert me. Eventually I've had to stay away from the topic, especially a few years ago (when I was tactless) and she became really hurt and offended by some of the things I said. So I quit talking about it (although she does try to convert me on an occasionaly basis.)

So... I can see where Aurora's coming from.
          T
          trim sig - gf
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Yeah I guess, but she shouldn't steryotype.

*Agent~M*
            "I could live

Comment

Hey, Glad to have you back. No problem about the rant though, I understand where you are coming from. As I attend a Baptist church I really get sick of hearing the stereotypical baptist stereolization.(is that a word?) This is mainly because of the ton of different Baptist churches I have been to. When we first came to where I live now, we tryed out almost everychurch in the area. Finally we settled for the one we attend now. As I've said before, it is far different then what Baptists Churches are known for. Given, there are hardcore Baptists in this church but they are a minority. It is pretty hard to let others diss one's church when they don't know yours personally. That is the great danger in stereolizing.
              ----
              This goes for all things. Not just Church. Also, I apologize for the lack of adjectives in my last post.

combined posts - gf
              -IV-
              Ipha
              -IV-
              Ipha
              Dai Stihò

Comment

I know I'm stereotyping. I know not all catholics are like that. But I DID say 'some.' (Or at least I think I did)

No, I meant the Catholics that attempt to convert people are very annoying. Especialy when they tell me I'm going to hell. Especially when they diss the friends I hang out with because they are Wiccan. Its these people I have very little tolerance for.

I actually get along very well with most other catholics (and christians) as long as they don't shove their religion in my face. I feel that religion is a very personal thing. One of my friends for instance- she's catholic, but because she keeps it mostly to herself- I mean, we all know she's catholic, but she accepts us for who we are, so all my friends are fine with that. She doesn't attempt to boycott a geography lesson about the four Eras and evolution (not like some poeple), and even if she doesn't like it, she accepts it as the theory, and doesn't protest about it. As long as they're quieter about their beliefs, I'm fine with it.

So yes, I was stereotyping.

Wow... that was a nice long rant...

Resident Otaku, Martial Artist, and Miko. Do not anger me-the consequences could be... dire.

Comment

I know what you mean. Some of my good friends at school are all into that Gothic type lifestyle. To me, if you are trying to be a witness or talk to them about God, Screaming (not literally) at them about hell and how wrong their beliefs are is just about the WORST thing you can do. All it does is make that person hate the other for getting up in their face. Many people it seems don't really think about what "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" really means. I'm not just talking about not putting that principle into every moment of you life, I'm talking about people who have BLINDED themselves into seeing anything but their own "rightousness". People like that are HARD to get along with.

By the way, Rant on. It's a lot of fun.

-IV-
                  Ipha
                  -IV-
                  Ipha
                  Dai Stihò

Comment

I'm a Catholic and I don't know anyone like that. The only religion that bugs me is Morman, you know Jehova Witnesses. The people that come to your door and call you on the phone and have tv commercials and who some men have 9 wives. But I can't really diss them, because a good portion of my family live in Utah and I have two Mormans in my family (marriage, not blood.)

The Architect: Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness.
                    -The Matrix Reloaded, 2003

Graham Hess: So what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you: are you the kind that sees signs, sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?
                    -Signs, 2002

Comment

yeah, but I've dealt with them before...

I really dislike the tension between the Wiccans and the Christians... Christians refuse to speak to the Wiccans, and, well, the Wiccans don't care. As they see it, "If they don't want to speak to me, I'll just leave them alone." It doesn't help I have friends in both categories and a lot of atheist friends too. there's a lot of tension and stuff like that.

Resident Otaku, Martial Artist, and Miko. Do not anger me-the consequences could be... dire.

Comment

FYI, WizardGirl -

Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses are two different religious groups (not that I belong to either one, being a Methodist myself) - just thought you might want to know. They both seen to do their fair share of door-knocking, but the Jehovah's Witnesses are the ones who don't celebrate any holidays, while the Mormons (also known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) are the ones who used to practice polygamy and have the tv commercials.

Squash

Comment

Hey hey, Auroa, not to disagree with you (I don't) or to rabblerouse (that might be a lie) but you just effectively said that you don't have any problems with Catholics as lond as they aren't openly Catholic around you and either have mild Catholic principles or don't mind compromising said principles. Just wanted to point that out, because it's sort of like saying you don't care if... oh, hunting for appropriate example, you don't care if someone's gay so long as they don't openly flirt with a guy in your company or something. Not that I'm suggesting that, or anything... it just... oh well. Thought you might like to know how that sounded, because I'd hate not to know if I did... I'm babbling... anyway, point made.
                          T
                          trim sig - gf

Comment

heh heh. O.k. Aurora, yes converting missionary type Catholics ARE annoying. I agree, I've met a few.

*Agent~M*
                            "I could live

Comment

I like it, but (I'm fighting this and losing) you spelled tomorrow wrong. Don't hate me!

Actually, the place where I was for my trip was primarily at a Mormon college. They have this thing called the Mission where they leave home for 2 years to evangilize. That's it, they just try to convert people. They're only allowed to call home (when on their Mission) on Christmas and Mother's Day.
                              They are also not allowed to wear pants or tank tops at any time. The men are not allowed to have their ears pierced as well, etc. etc. While we were on the campus, we had to follow the rules: wear pants to all our meals and classes. It's really pretty stifling. (No offense if anyone here is Mormon, perchance.)

As to what we were discussing: I would find it annoying if someone tried to push their religion in my face. That's why I don't do it. I do have a friend through religion class who's really active in this and runs, with some of her friends, a website about the Catholic faith which tries to convert people. I don't do that. I agree with you, Aurora, but I also agree with Birdhead and her confused point-making. Actually, I really don't know what I think-which makes this post useless. Oh well...

*Ella*

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle."
                              -Plato
                              *Ella*
                              "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                              There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                              And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                              What could mean more than this?"
                              --Bright Eyes

Comment

No... post where you don't know what you think can be quite interesting, because you're albe to present two sides of an issue and why they sway you. Once you've made up your mind, you're stuck. You'll never present a completely unbiased opinion again.
                                T
                                trim sig-gf

Comment

Working...
                                X