No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I to, did not know anyone that read these wonderful books So i bought a load for my cuz and she not to interested then I was talking to a lady I work with and her kids are now mad about them. BUT I STILL DON'T KNOW ANY ONE THAT READS THESES BOOKS!!!

You know what now I think about it the only reson I read them is that they caught my eye and the local libiary!! That and I was running out of books to read down there!!! Any how, at least I have loads of friends to talk about it here
    Fox
    God its hard to keep up with everything here!!

Memember of The STTF (Save the topic foundation).

Comment

• Skitty, all the Discworld books are good. But the more you're interested in the Beatles and other rock and roll legends, the funnier Soul Music will get, and the more you like Christmas, the funnier Hogfather will get. I love Susan. She's definitely one of my favorite Discworld characters. My only caveat is that, hopefully, you've already read Mort. (You don't need to, but it explains a little of where Susan comes from).
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• You know that stereotype of a fantasy reader? It's true- for epic fantasy, and fantasy that shelved under the adult section. Like, yes, David Eddings (stereotypical epic fantasy goes with stereotypical fantasy reader.) Especially if there are male protagonists and lots of fighting. Apart from that, though, in my experience boys who read prefer fiction to fantasy. (So, actually, do most girls.) Personally, I think the sereotype comes from the fact that probably half of the boys who read, mgiht read fantasy- but many, many more girls read than boys. (I'm sorry about that, boys, but it is true.)
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Soul Music also has echos of the movie This is Spinal Tap. (Highly reccomended - you'll never look at dials which go from 1 to 10 in the same way again). I too like the Susan/Death stories a lot. Strangely enough, when Death makes a cameo apearence in other stories, it's generally for the purpose of reduving the dramatic tension a notch.
          Discworld seems to be universally liked by foum member's who've read them. DD herself is very found of them - she went tothe last Discworld convention. (One of the things I intend to do before I die is go to a book fan's convention of some kind - I have weird life goals).
          "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

• Hey, Death doesn't DO cameos, ok?

Well, maybe on Discworld he does... it's been a while since I've read Moving Pictures so I could be wrong.

Y'know, I didn't really think too much of the Eddings books when I read them, but I'm sure I got noticed. I was walking around school with a hardcover Ruby Knight or Diamond Throne for a while, and I actually bought the Elenium off of the library. Hardcover. By all appearances, I'm the one everyone here is talking about.

Or maybe I'm just being egotistical

Comment

• Heh I've read Mort.

Soul Music also has echos of the movie This is Spinal Tap.
              -Wilf
              Hah! That movie was great. I LOVED the Stonehenge scene. hahaha...

I don't know about David Edding's other book series, but I thought the Belgariad was pretty good. I started to read the series that followed that one... and about fell asleep. But ah well.

I'm *trying* to make a role play community, but I'm freaking out. Way too many buttons! This definitly isn't avidgamers 1. Aug, aug, aug.

My friend sent me a stupid e-mail. I'm posting it here because it's funny.

im buck whiley the smiley, cant hold me down, i stay on the ground, and make those gay ass clowns fron, turn that smile upside down, to make a nursery rhyme demented, and a fairy tale sound like the matrix wit movies overwhelming wit violence, its like stoppin the bullet wit ya glass, and nearly break the eye lens, u cant stop the shinin unless its planned out, and thats y buck whiley knows all about, ya failure and u messed up on so far, not small things, the big things just like his small car, so next time u wanna mess, test, and inflict stress apon buck whiley, u gotta remember that you'll get ya ass kicked by a smiley

Wait... cusses? Aug, I'll leave them there.
              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Ahahahah... death and cameos... well...
                "Pardon me for living, I'm sure."
                - NO-ONE GETS PARDONED FOR LIVING.
                -Mort.

Eheh, ehehehehehe... ah, Pterry. He makes me feel so much better.

Dave- and you probably were around 17? 18? That's fabulous. *points at stereotype* hey! look!

Comment

• About not many boys reading, that isn't quite true everywhere. Here almost all of the bookworms are 7th graders, I'm one and then there are like... 7 girls and 20 guys. Then there are around 5 6th graders and 3 are guys. I think I've got another friend reading YW!! The Twins read SYWTBAW and one said it was boring but all that interests her is Murder stuff, and the other didn't like it because she failed the AR test. Then I had Julie read it, she liked it, but is to cought up in other books. Then I got 2 more people to read it. But all the bookworms at our school are pretty much Fantasy loving, crazy, weird, outcasts, the make really really good grades. *shrug*

I'm reading my first Terry Pratchet book for the book swap, not had much reading time. But it's pretty good, I think a guy in my 4th period might read it soon, he seemed really interested in it.
                  ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                  Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
                  HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
                  My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

• Yeah. I don't mind stereotypes. They make life easier.

Hey Gryphon, what was that, some sort of Internet Rap?

yo peeps heres the deal
                    the internet real
                    and the is up

i down wit teh 133 - t
                    words on the street
                    superhighway yo

e to teh m to a to i to l
                    yall know where aol is going
                    peace

Comment

• Hey Rysade that rap thingy made me laugh. Here, I'm bored here's a rap about me:

Hey my name is Z
                      Listen to this yo and ya'll'll know me
                      I'm pretty I'm smart. I've got style
                      And on this forum I'll last for a while
                      Z to the G to the IL
                      I'm keepin' just it real
                      SO JUST CHILL! peace.
                      penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• stereotypes SUCK, they are EVIL and must DIE, they give people self-esteem problems, they cause people to misjudge and prejudge and enforce bigotry. Rarrh. *stabs* I shouldn't even joke about them, though I do.

*snickers*
                        e to teh m to a to i to l
                        you left out "!!!111!!!"

Comment

• Well, you can't avoid stereotypes, and you don't notice when you use them. Things need labels. That's what language is for. If you had to give a full description of everything and everyone you talked about every time you talked about it...
                          What needs to be done is: Make people understand that stereotypes are not to be trusted as the truth. They are not infallible. Not some stereotypes, all of them. That way, people can say "black people are cool" and everyone may nod, but everyone will also think: "but are they really?"

thats cool Z but ya gotta see
                          caps are for fools not you an me
                          we type fast cuz thers places to be

Comment

• Okay that rap was horrible let me try again, (I'm getting this from the song tipsy):

Yo, to the 4 to the 3 to the 1
                            My name is Z and I'm havin lots of fun
                            I'm smart I'm stylin and most of all I'm cool
                            I get the best grades in the whole dang school
                            Ya'll know me, Ya'll love me
                            Say it with me!
                            Z to the G to the I to the L
                            I keep it real and I know how to chill.

PEACE!
                            penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• lol Z and may I say u got skilZ?

Comment

• If you had to give a full description of everything and everyone you talked about every time you talked about it...
                                ... you'd be what is occasionally sneered at as being "politically correct," but is more accurately categorised as "someone who's aware and sensitive of others." In a nutshell.

*snickers* rap... I won't even try... but I like Pacifika rap, not the American sort.

Comment

Working...
                                X