No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah. Creativity lessons from Semi. I'm listening.

Gary-Stu, you say? Hmm.

I have heard of Eragon before. I was thinking of reading it.

Comment

• Sounds like some author really likes to powerplay on their character.

I'm dancing right now! Staight A's!!!!!! I just got my report card today, and as you can tell, I'm HAPPY!!! heh. There's always at least one B that gets in my way. Always at least one. Rah! I always manage to forget to turn in a peice of homework or near flunk a quiz. Last marking period I got an 80 on my history exam. Raah! There's a B in history. But not this marking period! (A= 100-93, B= 92-85) I'm worried a bit about Spanish this marking period because I forgot to turn in a week's journal. Aug, not good. I got 6/20 because it was late. The week after that I missed up one of my verbs and got 16/20. Well, I can bring my grade up. Journals aren't the only things.

Never heard of that term before. Heh. I'm loving the Darkangel series, but god! The main character acts so slow... I'm screaming at her! Okay. she has this big long riddle to solve in book one. Book two, a continuation of that riddle. A wing stick, you dummy! It's YOUR winged staff!!!!! Rah rah rah. Other than that, I love those books! I don't think I saw the third one at the library.

I'll look at the hated Eragon. :P It was recommended to me by a sister of my friend who likes to read 'big books'. She said Eragon was really good, but seeing how she liked The Wings of Merlin, I didn't exactly trust her opinion. I HATED the Merlin books by TA Barron!!!! Aug.

Diego! I just looked at the Article you created called 'Introduce Myself'. Avidgamers2 is really weird, so it took me forever to figure this out. Your article doesn't show up because you didn't tell it to go anywhere! Lesse... The first drop down box says 'Restriction.' I always leave it as 'none.' Next is 'In Blocks.' Well, it needs to be in a block to be somewhere! I think you might want to put it at Private_page. Another thing that I found out. If you put text in the body, it won't appear unless you view the article and click 'full text'. If you see my Species article on the front page, the text that you see is in the Intro. There should be a link at the bottom of the article that says 'full text.' You have to click that to see the body.
      Across the top of the Admin bar for objects, you should see:
      Blocks, Users, Forums, Polls, Articles, Links, Pages, Components
      Don't mess with the blocks too much. Whatever you do, DO NOT change their name. It tells them where to be. Users... I dunno if you ahve the power to mess with that. Forums have topics inside them and topics have replies. Polls... voting! Articles are what just about everything with text in, not including forums, topics, and replies. Links are links. Pages I don't think you can mess with unless we have the paid version of avidgamers2.
      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Originally posted by Skitty:

I'll look at the hated Eragon. :P It was recommended to me by a sister of my friend who likes to read 'big books'. She said Eragon was really good, but seeing how she liked The Wings of Merlin, I didn't exactly trust her opinion. I HATED the Merlin books by TA Barron!!!! Aug
        Oh, man! I hate that. Don't you hate that? Some people!

Sometimes in high school, I'd be approached by someone, and they would ask me what book I'm reading. I'd show them the cover. Y'know, I was trying to keep the 'human interaction' thing down to a minimum. Sometimes they'd say things like: "You like to read?" or "That's a big book." or "My brother likes to read big books."

I'd say something like, "Oh yeah? That's nice."

Ug. Seriously. "Big Books?" It's only 3-400 pages! This is standard novel length, hello?! A big book is somthing like 700-1000+ pages. A big book doesn't fit in one volume! I have actually been reading something small, and had someone tell me it was a big book. I tried to hide my comtempt, I think.

RRRRRRRR!!!!!

And I've never watched the FBI warning more in my life! You know, if these DVD players would let you jump past all this intro stuff, then you would be able to WATCH the DVD if it was scratched at the beginning!

Comment

• Ha! That's funny, ppl ask me what I'm reading and I show em the cover, ppl get bugged by that more than I thought.... My friends don't even bother to ask, they look at the cover or ask me when I'm not reading. I hate being interupted while reading.. grr! Ugh. In September lots of ppl were going around saying like; "I finished Harry Potter in 1 week!!!!" And it's like OMG it's so amazing I finished it in a day and half, in my book it's a big book (no pun intended ) But I mean still.... Ppl were amazed when I told them. (They asked, I didn't tell them intentionally) ppl also automatically assume I'm smart. Stereotyping!!!! I'm smart in certain ways..... I'm only smart at things I like so my grades aren't exactly like Gryphons.... sow, Congrats Gryphon!!!!!!!! Ooh! I've told u this before but if u ever need help in History, I can help u!!! I LUV History!!! Same goes for n e one else.
          *Agent~M*
          "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
          "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
          "I could live

Comment

• *snorts*
            "Hey, what are you reading?"
            *shows cover silently*
            "Oh, my sister's read that."
            "Really."
            "yeah. amn you must really like to read."
            "uhm... yeah." (subtext: and, guess what, I actually like eading WITHOUT interruptions!)
            "have you read every book in the library?"
            "No."
            "Are you going to?"
            "Uhm, there are lots of books in the library."
            "Have you read [fill in blanks]?"
            "[Yes/No]."
            "I thought it was really good."
            "It was okay."

And they JUST KEEP TALKING. Nnnnnng. *smacks*

Agent M! *is shocked* There was NETSPEAK in that post!
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Heh. We all seem very quiet and antisocial while reading.... beware when we aren't reading...

heh heh. Srry bout that. It comes from so much instant messaging with Lissa and Gryphon....
              *Agent~M*
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "I could live

Comment

• Hah. Blame it on me. Hey! I used to talk in complete sentences, use capitalization, apostrophes, and puntuation before the summer when my friends showed me AIM. One friend was YELLING at me for it. Heh. And then those poopy heads got me caught onto using 'LOL'. Rah!!! LOL. Laugh out loud. And know I say it just to say something, not because I 'laughed out loud'. Rah.

You don't want to talk to me while I'm reading. Or you'll get GLARED at. Oooo. I know how that is!

"Hey. That's a big book. Do you like big books?"

How annoying is that?!? GRRRR!!!!!

I was grinding my teeth, listening to a friend's interpretation of a fantasy book. People stereotype BOOKS!!!! Rah! She was explaining how the fantasy book she read was so much better than the other ones.

"You know in other books, stuff is just... there. Y'know? Like they'd have unicorns and they'd be just there. But this book they have a reason, y'know? They aren't just... there."

Rah rah rah!!! What do you mean, 'just there?' Rah!

"have you read every book in the library?"
                "No."
                "Are you going to?"
                "Uhm, there are lots of books in the library."
                -Tui
                Hah. I thought that was ammusing. Unbeleivable... How stupid can people get??? hahaha.

My Spanish teacher was explaining a bit about our Spanish projects.

"You could say Applesauce did 52 homeruns--"
                "Who is Applesauce?"

Yes, we do have quite a few blondes in our class that act like stereotyipical blondes.
                Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• heeeh, dual personality depending on whether or not one is holding a book.... I've got that.

RL semiramis with book: hn.

RL semiramis without book: HIYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BANANANANANANANANANANANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! !!!!*

*this said in highest possible pitch. Which is pretty dang high, if I do say so myself.

Comment

• I hate homework so much! I got streesed out over my Spanish assignment and didn't get a chance to go outside. I missed a beautiful day!

Now to Spanish. I am going to rant about how much I hate my Spanish teacher, so be prepared. He's a total butthead! Okay, he picks on students to get other students to laugh. Sometimes it's just funny and stupid. But other times, most of the time, his comments are tasteless and really hurt. He picks on A (I'm naming people off letters now!) because of his grades, which I think is seriously wrong. A sits in his chair off to the side. Big punishment! Go to the AA room, get detention, and loose extra credit points. And the reason? It was nothing! It's like he has something against A. Another student I'll call B was the target of his 'teases' for the first three marking periods and this marking period too. He picks on B constantly if he gets a pronounciation wrong, making fun of him. Constantly! Worse, if the Spanish teacher comes with a tough question, guess who he asks! Either A or B, but usually B. Rah rah rah. That's not the worst of it, but I'm not in such a bad mood anymore, so I'm going to change topics. Rah rah rah!!!

Books... I am reading Inkheart still and now the Hogfather. heh. Sorry Sam, but I picked up a few books while reading Inkheart and it got pushed to the side. The Auditors are great. I might have to type up a section for some people who haven't read Terry Pratchett's books. A question. Was Hogfather supposed to come after or before Reaper Man? Because if it's after, it seems like they're planning some kind of revenge on Death. Possibly. I'm not very far yet. (Death is a skeleton-type charcater with a scythe. Self explanatory name, so I don't need to go too deep) anyway, by the back of the book, it sounds like Death has to play the part of the 'Hogfather' which just happens to be Discworld's slightly warped version of Sant Claus. Am I right there?

Comment

• Ugh. Spanish teachers are all like that. ugh.
                      Srry Gryphon, not trying to blame it on you. Tell me how your homework goes!
                      *Agent~M*
                      "I could live

Comment

• Skitty: Hogfather comes after Reaper Man. The Death/Susan 'sub-series' (for want of a better description) runs Mort, Reaper Man, [I]Soul Music[i], Hogfather, Thief of Time. (The last is only partly Susan orientated, though). The exact order you read them isn't important, though. Discworld doesn'r break the golden rule of sequels ("Thou shalt not to need to have seen the first one to understand what the second one is about").
                        Also, didn't Applesauce play for the Yankees? :-)

Teachers who pick on students should be fired. End.

To me, a big book is one that takes me more than one day's continual reading to get through. I read fairly fast by most people's standards, so I would guess such abok is over 500 pages long. (I remember being quizzed by my teacher on a book when I was nine, because she didn't believe I could've read it as fast as I did.) I generally read more than one book at a time, in order to spin out the enjoyment.
                        "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

• Ah okay. I love the ones that have death in it. Great... character.

Here's a scene with Mister Teatime (an 'unusualy psychotic member of the Assassin's guild' as it says on the back of the book);

The gaurd was cowering behind an overturned cabinet. He cringed back as Teatime stepped over it. "What are you doing here?" he shouted. "Who are you?"
                          "Ah, I'm glad you asked. I'm your worst nightmare!" said Teatime cheerfully.
                          The man shuddered.
                          "You mean... the one with the giant cabbage and the sort of whirring knicfe thing?"
                          "Sorry?" Teatime looked momentarilly nonplussed.
                          "Then you're the one where I'm falling, only instead of ground beneath it's all--"
                          "No, in fact I'm--"
                          The guard sagged. "Awww, not the one where there's all this kind of, you know, mud and then everything goes blue--"
                          "No, I'm--"
                          "Oh, S!, then you're the one where there's this door only there's no floor beyond it and then there's these claws--"
                          "No," said Teatime. "Not that one." He withdrew a knife from his sleeve. "I'm the one where this man comes out of no where and kills you stone dead."
                          The guard grinned with releif. "Oh, that one," he said. "But that one's not very--"
                          -Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

:P I love these books.

Comment

• (groan). Big books. I had to pick up a big book.

It suddenly occurred to me that I'd never properly read Dumas's Three Musketeers series (in order, all in one go). And then I realized I didn't have copies in the house. Which meant that I had to buy The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years Later, The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Louise de la Valliere, and The Man in the Iron Mask.

Oh, well. It'll be worth it. I'm up to the point where D'artagnan shows Athos the ring Miladi gave him.
                            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Shameless Advertising-

www.xanga.com/aurika

My webloggie!!!! ^^ I love my webloggie!! I devote so much time to it, and I think I'm going to start learning some basic programming in my spare time if only because I want to make it look spiffier. Yup. I spent a couple hours on the weekend manually doing a Javascript code because the site only gave me half of what I wanted, screwed up thing...

So (bearing in mind I've never taken a computer course, barely know html- I can do italics, underline and bold, as well basic link- and two and a half years ago I could barely open Wordpad and was really freaked out by computers) I essentially manually programmed the rest of what I wanted done. o.O It was kinda funny because all I really did was look at the half of the code they gave me, and figure it out from there. Very simple.

I'm still very proud of myself.

Comment

• Yeah, I must agree, all Spanish teachers are like that. You basically just described my Spanish teacher. He picked on me like the whole first half of the year because he used to have my sister. Nothing too annoying but he used me as an example for EVERYTHING. he'd always call me up to the front of the room for me to do something or other. luckily now he's backed off somewhat.

Books, books, books. I have so many books to read, but not enough time. By the way, just to warn you all I may disappear for 2 weeks or so pretty much. You may only see random spasmodic posting from me because I'm working in the crew for my school's musical (crazy for you) and I'll be pretty busy these next two weeks. Tomorrow through Friday I'll be at school until 7:30 (possibly later) and then have homework/etc. to deal with when gettng home. Then next week there'll be dress rehearsals from 6-11 every night as well as opening night next friday. Seems so typical my teachers are piling on projectssince my return from break too. Blah.

But I'm very paint covered at the moment. We were painting sets today. Fun but exhausting.
                                ------------------------------
                                Have a cookie. it makes life better. If you don't like cookies, I suggest you seek professional help.

"So why should I take your hand when you can't promise happy endings?"
                                -Amber Pacific "Thoughts Before Me"

Comment

Working...
                                X