No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My science teacher got me with a book in hand, I thought This is it, I'm dead. But instead she asked me if I liked it and the whole group started talking about it.

The book was DaVinci code by the way. Ya'll should read it if you haven't.

READ IT!
    Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• GOOD BOOK!
      Cool Teacher!!!!!!! Can we trade teachers Diego?
      *Agent~M*
      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
      "I could live

Comment

• The last time I fully read it was a while ago, but having read everything else I can find, I've started it again (honestly, I'll read anything with words in it. In an early grade I read an entire dictionary out of sheer boredom. Have I mentioned that already?), so I might enjoy the movie. Then again, lately I find myself going to theaters less for the movie and more for the arcade, the movies never seem to be as 'real' as the books, even if they aren't based on any (does that even make sense?). I'll likely see it anyways. I'm rather more leaning towards Hellboy though. That sparks my interest rather more fiercely.

Comment

• My best friend read the dictionary once, when she was little... but only so she could say "yes" when people asked her if she'd read the dictionary.

Personally, I wouldn't want to try it.

I just read Classical Music by Joy Cowley (neat author. Ticket to the Sky Dance and Starbright and the Dream Eater I think you gusy would all like.) and I'm about to start Umberto eco's Foucault's Pendulum.
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• GMM: can't imagine that Hellboy will be as good as the comics (which, btw, are what I would recommend to anyone who's finished Sandman and wants more of something similar), but I'm also looking forward to it. Guillermo had Mignola aboard for the adaptation, and the darn thing LOOKS the way Mignola draws, which was the one thing I thought they would't be able to do.

Been reading Georgette Heyer again, since Garth Nix mentioned that he loves Heyer (his fave: Friday's Child), and once wrote a thriller/regency romance where alternate chapters were a Heyeresque regency that had clues to a real-life murder that were being picked up in the modern-day thriller chapters. Naturally, no publisher had a clue how to sell it, and nobody bought it.

Tui, let us know how Foucault's Pendulum is. I've been meaning to read it for ages, but I keep thinking that I'm a third of the way through The Name of the Rose and I really ought to finish that first.

Darn. Eco, Heyer, Willis, Wodehouse... either Sayers or Dunnett are gonna be next. I can feel it.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• lol

Hellboy looks great, I saw the trailer.
              Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
              ------------------------------------------------------------
              "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• Hellboy? I think I've heard of it somewhere.... What's it about?
                GodMage: I tried reading the dictionary. I got as far as "atom" But there was a kid in my class in 3rd grade who got all the way to W... lol.
                *Agent~M*
                "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                "I could live

Comment

• From the preview, I'd say it looks like a martian, a pyrokinetic boy and a demon without horns get tangled up with HP Lovecraft's Elder Gods. That's just my initial impression, though.

Books I've recently hugged in a library and then subsequently checked out: The Colour of Magic, by Terry Pratchett. Morgawr by Terry Brooks (yes, that's two of the three Big Terrys) The Wellstone by Wil McCarthy. McCarthy worked for NASA or something, which apparently qualifies him to be an author of science fiction regarding the manufactured elements Collapsium and Wellstone. All things considered, it's <span class="ev_code_red">very, very</span> strange reading. Collapsium is a substance who's atoms are actually micro-black holes. Very good for teleportation grids and artificial gravity, that. Wellstone is a silicon grid of transistors, or something, which can be programmed to take the form of any element or combination of elements that are imitable by a shell of electrons (and thus, all of them). Anyway, it's quite original Science Fiction (or as Asimov would have it, SF).

Comment

• GodMage: I think that you've been reading to much of the Dragonlance series and besides it was Raistlin so I would go into your profile and change you display name...(stupid computer won't let me use the 'Return' key so bear with me) I've heard of Hellboy, from the trailers I thought it looked cool but I think that it might be Holywood run amock.
                    *Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
                    *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
                    *Many have come and go

Comment

• ... ¿-|
                      Firstly, too much Dragonlance? Not possible. Secondly, I know the character's name, but he remains nonetheless both a mage, and a major deity. Thirdly, I can't change anything in my account, due to having a Hotmail account. And finally, are you having a comma shortage or something?

Comment

• Hellboy is a prince of hell, found and raised by humans, who's forgone his heritage, so he's broken off his own horns, and now works for the B.P.R.D (Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense, I think), fighting monsters and other weird things that go bump in the night. Abe Sapien probably isn't a Martian. :-) He's a merman.

It's kind of hard to describe Hellboy. It's sort of a blend of folk legends, dark fantasy, 40s serial action adventure, and superhero. If the movie's half as good as the comic, it should be a humdinger.
                        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Oh. Great. Now Rysadeh becomes a mix of Hellboy and Inu-Yasha. Will it ever end!? All I ever wanted was an original character, and what do I get!? Gonna need some more original tweaks to his past, or this character is gonna go down in the flames of <span class="ev_code_red">Cliché</span>

Comment

• What's wrong with Inu-Yasha?

Inu-Yasha is great! ^^

^^ hehehee... Ears... *reaches over to Rysade and tweaks doggie ears* Which you should have if you're like InuYasha.

Comment

• No no no, got me wrong. In fact, the thing I'm in the market for as we speak is a pair of them. ^^;; Inuyasha is great, and he's funny too. The problem is that <span class="ev_code_red">he came first</span>. So now my idea is unoriginal. I could just Cosplay him, (which I'd probably have tons of fun with) but that would be imitative, as I want to be creative.

Comment

• Okay. ^^

Can I touch your doggie ears then?

*Reaches over to rub them*

ehehehe... *imitates kagome in the first few episodes*

You say you're in the market for a pair of them, eh? Hehehe... Actually... A simple pair if very easy to make. Get some fuzzy cloth (faux-fur or whatever... ^^ Your choice), and cut two fair-sized triangles- Make them about a half-inch to a full inch bigger than you want the ears to be- they'll be smaller because remember, you sew it inside out, and ten you turn it inside out so you can't see the stitches. You don't have to sew the third side, because the third side is the side you sew onto the hair-clips... ^^ hehe... not the flat hair clips, the other ones... Forget their name, but they're pretty common. And then you fix them in your hair. Doggie ears.

^^ How do I know this? Well, Alastair-kun's sister made him some, and the first time I saw him with them on, I attacked him going "AAAAYYYYAAAA KAWAII!!!!!!!!!!!" and I ran up to rub them. I was the twelfth person to do that that day... And we weren't even a couple then- in fact, it was the 30th of October. ^^ And those InuYasha ears would play a large role later that night, as our mutual friend was the first to nitice we liked each other and then pretty much bullied us into getting close- with a pair of InuYasha ears. He stuck them in my hair.

Too bad... someone in his anime club stole them about a month later, they were really nice... his sister made them for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X