No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you read the Redwall books or are you srictly sifi?

*Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
    *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
    *Many have come and gone so we need to leave a ripple before this planet is washed away- Devin
    *Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
    *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
    *Many have come and go

Comment

• *Agent~M*
      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
      "I could live

Comment

• It is funny sometimes but others I want to pitch it against the wall and never see them again.

*Many have come and gone so we need to leave a ripple before this planet is washed away- Devin
        *Many have come and go

Comment

• *Agent~M*
          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
          "I could live

Comment

• I tried reading Redwall a while back, but I couldn't get past the first couple chapters. Talking warrior animals bore me, too. Not to mention that it's a little weird. Very original, but weird.

I usually only go for fantasy, but I'm really getting into the scifi out there. It's very interesting. Also, I've started going to the non-fiction section in my library and just randomly checking out books. I'm adding meaningless little tid bits to my knowledge, you see.

I will rejoice in the moonlight;
            I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
            For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.
            I will rejoice in the moonlight;
            I will dance in the rivers of my tears;
            For I am joyously, wonderfully alive!

Make your own laws or be a slave to another man's. -William Blake

School is hell with flourescent lighting.

Comment

• I'm reading 'Stranger in a Strange Land' by Heinlin (sp? I know I should know how to spell it, but I don't. Bad ppc.) and it's quite good...am only on pg 92, though, so I can't judge properly.
              I've got to read Timeline sometime...it still hasn't come from my library. I bet they only have five copies or something...
              I used to read Redwall a lot. I think I already said that, though. I've still got a shelf of Brian Jacques somewhere...
              This post's randomness was brought to you today by a deceptively decaffienated mocha.

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.
              -- (Terry Pratchett, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents)
              My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
              OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
              --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• I never minded the talking warrior animals concept of Redwall, it's just that the mice didn't seem particularly micelike, and if they're just humans in mice-form, why make them mice? (Granted, this is based on my reading only the first book).

I tried to read Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land when I was in college, but I never made it through the whole book. Just couldn't grok it. Had much better luck with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Managed to finally get into and through Lloyd Alexander's The Iron Ring, and had a lovely time with it. A good, solid fantasy adventure piece, flavored just enough with a specific mythos to hang together well. Have now got to hunt out my copy of Prince Jen...
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I'm reading the "Princess Diaries" series. It's so much better than the movie! Compared to what you guys are reading you make me feel like the girly-girl of the group because I read all these books that aren't science fiction or fantasy. I also read the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants." I love kind of humorous teen books. I'll always start cracking up when we're reading in class and the teacher will always say "What the heck are you reading?"
                  I'm still laughing from this joke in the princess diaries. lol lol lol

The monkey made me do it!
                  ~Z~
                  penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• *Agent~M*
                    "I could live

Comment

• Gosh that's scaring me! We live in the same state, and we could possible glance at eachother at the mall of america and still not know who we are glancing at! Did I remind all of you that I'm going skiing this Wednesday? I'm soooo excited! I love our school field trips. (I hope you guys will all cross your fingers and hope for me to not break my only 2 legs!)(I'm not like Skerret u know.)
                      Hey has anyone heard the Christina Aguilaira CD? It's really good. I like it alot!

The monkey made me do it!
                      ~Z~
                      penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• *Agent~M*
                        "I could live

Comment

• Yippee!! I just got the latest signing schedule from my local sf/mystery bookstore, and March is gonna bring Garth Nix and Laurie R. King to the store!

Probably only Quill's interested, but King's not only got a new Mary Russell novel coming, but also a near-future novel under a nom de plume in June!
                          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• New Mary Russell? Yessss! I also liked her new quasi-series that began with Folly. Made me want to run out and build a house, although such novel house sites are hard to come by. Do you know what the pen name will be, so I can start badgering my boss about picking one up for the library?

Authors rarely come to Hawaii except on vacation, and when they do, they're usually in their "I'm on vacation, please do not disturb" mode. I tend to oblige, because a.) you can never tell if they're actually working on their next book, and b.) if you disturb them too much, you may end up making an unflattering guest appearance in their next book. Although I'm not above geeky fan staring (once I can identify said author.)

DD, the offer still stands to treat you to lunch or dinner if you ever make it out to Maui. We have a new plate lunch place where you can get fish that was still swimming 3 hours previous...

"Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                            "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
                            "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                            "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

• Say what you like about me, I liked The Princess Diaries and The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants.

At the moment, though, I'm reading Life of Pi. It's really neat, I'm enjoying it- I have to say that when it's introduced as "a story that will make you believe in God" I'm more impressed by the insanity of the author than anything else, and read on in a sort of morbid curiosity. (I've always been a bit mocking of things that purport to make you believe. No-one picks what I believe but me, thanks very much.) More seriously, though, I'm really enjoying it: the religion's really funn and funny and, yes, I guess it's moving.
                              But not that moving.

However, what I am reading and what I should be reading are two very different things. I should be reading Sons and Lovers, by DH Lawrence, for English class and I'm rapidly conceiving a passionate dislike for it. This is terrible. I suspect that if I read the book by myself, I might like it. But what I'm doing now is reading it thinking "I have to write essays on this." This is Terrifying me, because it's not like Lord of the Flies, where you could basically plan essays while you read. No, with this when you start planning essyas you stop very quickly because you can't concentrate on two things at once, and you certainly can't identify symbols and themes. I guess this is why Lord of the Flies is an Easy book to study, and Sons and Lovers Isn't.
                              So, yeah, I've had if for three weeks and I haven't even finished Part One. >.< SO NOT LIKING THIS.

As for authors, well, Hawaii may very well be bad. But not as bad as New Zealand Aotearoa, love it though I do.

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
                              --Agent M
                              Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
                              Still the Typo Queen
                              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• By all accounts, nothing can put you off a book more than having to study it for English. My sister detests To Kill A Mockingbird, and one of my school-friends swire he'd never read Lord of the Flies again, for that very reason. They both say that if it hadn't been for English, they would probably read them and like them.
                                My reading matter at the moment is strictly limited. The problem with attending a university so far from home is that it severely limits the amount of luggage you can take back and forth. Consequently, I have no (reading) books, other than those I have bought here.
                                I am looking forward to the next Discworld book The Hat Full Of Sky. It is being marketed as a 'sequel' to Wee Free Men, and I forsee an Aching sub-series, like those with Death, The Watch, Rincewind, etc.

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation
                                "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

Working...
                                X