Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *squees excitedly* Sphere! Yay!
    I just read Crichton's 'Sphere' and loved it so much. Perfect sci-fi fix.
    My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
    OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
    --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• PPC: Another Crichton fan!!! Really? Cuz I couldn't decide between Sphere and Congo... I chose Congo. It's good, and I think I'm getting Sphere on Thurs.
      Diego: Poor you No authors really ever come here either....... DD came here once, but I was in Baltimore. GRRRR. A lot of adult authors I've never heard of come to the bookstore around the corner.... but theres never any really good authors, and there's only ever been on "teen" group author, and only like two little kids picture book authors.
      Gryphon: I think it's Lireal.... Sabriel, Lireal, and Aborhesan (sp?) I haven't read them... maybe I should try to..
      kli and Gryphon: Keys to the Kingdom was good! I've only read the first one cuz the bookstore near my house doesn't have it.. grr. But maybe Borders does.... *is thoughtful*
      *Agent~M*
      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
      "I could live

Comment

• Skitty: yeah, it's Nix's latest. And it's Lirael and Abhorsen. And I agree, that series had diminishing returns, but I still enjoyed all three books.

ddb--the basic way to get an author to come and sign is find a store that can guarantee a crowd of people will show up, and then get them to bug the publisher to put them onto the signing tour. If a specific author's got a yen to visit your home town, it might work. (It's how Neil Gaiman ends up signing in Norway and the like).

I'm actually surprised we're getting Nix, since he's an Aussie. Figured Tui would be seeing him first. Anyways, if anybody else is in California, Naperville IL, Glen Rock NJ, or NYC, here's the signing tour schedule.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Did I not mention, Agent M? I read Timeline, and I liked it. It was good. I also saw the movie on the plane- it was okay. Not as good as the book, but it wasn't a bad movie- just a really bad adaptation. I mean, what was up with Kate? And Chris? Marek was the only one who retained his character intact and the smae gender!!

Meh. As for book signings- I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You guys don't know how lucky you are just getting someone, anyone, in the same country as you, forget about city or state...

Skitty: Lirael. I think. I liked it- Lirael had such a cool job- though admittedly Sabriel was cooler. Still, don't forget that at least Lirael's journey was mildly realistic- Sabriel was semi-perfect, almost a Mary Sue. Abhorsen was definitely the weakest- it felt more like the last three chapters of a book, expanded way beyond their deserved length.

Meh. Nix. Meh.

Oh well. Bic Runga's finally coming back here!!! (I so need to get a tour schedule...)
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Tui, do I need to point out that Terry Pratchett was on tour in NZ in 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, and 2002? Compared to five tours in the US?

BTW, the Nix signing was really fun. He showed us all the notebook he wrote Mister Monday in, read us the prologue to Drowned Wednesday, and gave away a magic ring with a story, and had us all laughing and riveted on his every word. I think my favorite thing he said was, "Even if you only write on Sundays, around your day job, if you stick with it, you'll still have a book in a year and half."

And I was wrong about the metals that can kill a Scoucher. He had no idea about the fountain pen connection.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Tui, Coolie!!! (silently praises Timeline) Gender? I think they all kept their genders........ But your right, Chris adn Kate, they weren't supposed to like each other until like the very end, unless that's not what you mean? They didn't really keep character either....... Kate was WAY cooler in the book. The Proffesor was NOT Chris's dad either, and Lady what's her face, Sophie? Something like that, was English, not French. I'm pretty sure.... I think she was like the English guys niece or something... And they brought Francious and what's his face back. And what's his face didn't die. And that one guy, the guy that had to stay back cuz of transcription errors, his scene in the book was soooooooo fun, but then in the movie they totally screwed it up......... Okay I'll shut up now. I told you guys you didn't want me to get started with this.
              Ha! I finally got Grim Tuesday, my grandpa took me to the bookstore today!!! I got Sphere, Eaters of the Dead and Grim Tuesday. Happy Happy Happy!!!!
              *Agent~M*
              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
              "I could live

Comment

• Kli, that's as may be, but let me point out that I was
                -3 in 1990
                -5 in 92
                -6 in 93
                -7 in 94
                -9 in 96
                -Hadn't read any pratchett in 97, 98 or 99

and went to the signing in 02. See? I was young! I remember not?

but you're right, pTerry's good, he comes here. <i>excepting</i> Pterry, it seems to me to be very rare to see an author here <i>at a time when I ahve heard of them.</i>

As for gender, M, my best friend said that whathisface, you know.. Doniger's head honcho? wasn't that a woman in the books? Not Doniger, but his codirector or whatever???

It was Lady Claire, btw.

Oh, one thing: the guy who played Doniger, David Thewlis? he's playing Remus in Azkaban. >.< He wasn't a bad actor, but... he kinda doesn't look right. Meh.

Comment

• He is?? Your right, he wasn't a bad actor at all, but....... He looks like a military guy... lol

Head honcho.... Um... By that you mean whats his face that went back (That wasn't supposed too!!!!!!!) And then he died (Which he also wasn't supposed too!!!!!) And <span class="ev_code_RED">SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER</span> he became the president of the company at the end of the book (because he didn't die) END OF SPOILER END OF SPOILER
                  <span class="ev_code_RED">END OF SPOILER END OF SPOILER</span>
                  If that's the guy you mean, then no, he was a guy in the book too. There was a woman though, who went back with them and got her head chopped off almost as soon as they got there..... But she was in the movie wasn't she?
                  *Agent~M*
                  "I could live

Comment

• Say what...????

Ah well. I'd just like to say that TERRY PRATCHETT RULES!!!! So, yeah. My favortie two were Mort and Reaper Man. Hehe. Death is a funny chacater. By he's completely different in the books with Rincewind. Funny.

I have a book signed my Jane Yolan. I LOVE her books!!! You have to read the Pit Dragon Trilogy by her.
                    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Gryphon, I'm still wondering, is there actually an author called Jane Yolan or are you talking about Jane Yolen? Cuz I've read Jane Yolen but never hear about Jane Yolan...
                      *Agent~M*
                      "I could live

Comment

• No, I mean, the other woman- though you're right, there was a military woman, Gonzalez, and she wasn't in the movie, there was a guy named Gonzalez... but there was also Kramer. You know? Actually, I think she was completely replaced by Gordon in the movie. But eh.

Also, what happened to Elsie? And as for the way they massacred Kate (and Chris! hello, he was most likeable in the books when he was being all archeologist and they actually took those bits out, what on earth?

Comment

• Yeah... I agree about Chris, he sounded a little bit like a pretty boy in the book, but only a little bit, they made him a real pretty boy in the movie.
                          Gordon was in the book though wasn't he? I can't remem.... OH!!!! lol. I think I remember now!! The woman who repeats Donigers sentences when he's angry??? I think I remember... I swear I only just remembered as I was typing. But I'm pretty sure she was the one who got her head chopped off in the book...
                          I think they had Elsie for a short bit in the movie but not much if they did....
                          *Agent~M*
                          "I could live

Comment

• What the heck are you all talking about?
                            Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
                            ------------------------------------------------------------
                            "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• What he said, what in the heck are you talking about?
                              *Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
                              *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
                              *Many have come and go

Comment

• I think they're talking about the movie, Timeline. Careful rereading of past articles can unearth these things.

Currently working my way through P.G. Wodehouse's The Code of the Woosters in lieu of sitting about reading nothing waiting for the new Pratchett. I'd forgotten just how much fun Wodehouse is.

Am also re-reading Connie Willis's To Say Nothing of the Dog, because while I was at the Laurie King signing, I ended up handselling someone a copy (she was complaining now there wasn't anybody good to read in the vein of Sayers and Laurie King and foolishly insisting she didn't read science fiction [sigh]), and I remembered how much fun it was, and by golly, it's just as fun as I remember, too.

Man, I want Willis to write her London Blitz/Dunworthy and the Oxford University History Department time travel book.

Comment

Working...
                                X