No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dangit! dangit! dangit! Missed it by two hours. BBC 7's Drama group is doing an adaptation of Pratchett's Guards! Guards!. And they started on Monday. Dangit. I'm always missing these things. At least I'll be in time for Wyrd Sisters.

Ooo! Found the Listen Again link! (yay!)
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Why is that as soon as I have a decnt radio of mine own (the Roberts R881 to be precise ) Digital Radio comes good.... do you know if they'll be making it available online afterwards?
      "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

• All the BBC radio stuff that's on-demand is good for one week, and then it disappears into the ether, so you have a one-week window to grab something.
        ---
        Anyway, to get back on subject, is anybody else here an E.R. Eddison fan? I never would have guessed that DD was one, but judging by her last blog entry, she's a big one. I'm stuck about halfway through The Worm Ouroboros--the language was so rich, I was getting literary indigestion. But I loved it. I seriously need to find a copy of Mistress of Mistresses.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Bump. (C'mon, I can't be the only person who likes talking about random non-YW books! .

I'm still chugging my way through the Three Musketeers books. I've finished Twenty Years After and begun The Vicomte de Bragelonne, which is pretty funny since I just finished watching A&E's The Last King last week, and have the whole restoration of Charles II on the brain, as it is. I have to admit, I really like the editor of the Oxford World Classics paperbacks, because he's having so much fun writing notes, like, "At this point, Dumas's chronology is wildly out of step with history..."

What are you reading?

Comment

• Currently? One of the Henry Reed books. I read it over and over and over again. It's under my pillow. It's like a familiar salve, so that I can sleep.

Also Reading: Circle of Magic by Tamora Pierce, and umm...Oh yes, the Harry Potter books again. Michael Crichton is always good for color (but the old stuff, not the new stuff), and then I was reading this book about the Welsh prince back in the 12th century, that married the English princess in an effort to stop the war (and I can't for the life of me remember what it's called), but I lost the book. Which makes me feel terrible.
            http://superdrea.net/

Comment

• I've never read Tamora Pierce. What are they about?

(I went used bookshopping this weekend and FINALLY found a copy of Mistress of Mistresses. Now all I have to do is find the brain power to get through it...)

Comment

• Could it possibly be this one? (It turned up in the library catalog when I searched for "Welsh Prince"):
                Brave his soul; the story of Prince Madog of Wales and his discovery of America in 1170 by Ellen Pugh.

Comment

• Happy dance! Happy dance!! My local SF bookstore just called to let me know they're holding a copy of Terry Pratchett's A Hat Full of Sky for me! I'm gonna be reading about the further adventures of Tiffany Aching tonight!!

Comment

• All of Tamora Peirce's books take place in one world. Most of the stories (not all of them) take place in a country called Tortall. My favorites of her were the Song of the Lioness Quartet. They're not exactly long, but they're wonderful and packed with adventure. I love them! The main character is Allana. Another Quartet came after those called The Immortals with Daine, a wild mage. Then Protector of the Small, yet another quartet. My, she writes a lot of books in fours! The Circle of Magic is also a quartet. I didn't like those, but the previous ones that I listed were pretty good. Then the Circle Opens. I think that on is a Quartet. The only book that she wrote that wasn't a quartet was Trickster's Choice. Though it is threatening to be one. A book follows it and possibly more.

The Song of the Lioness was excellent. I love it and occaisonally reread it. Though some of her books, like Trickster's Choice, seem to take place in a mild world. It's almost as if she attempts at bringing in sorrow of some sort, but it's not working. I love books that feel real, the ones with both joy and deep pain. I love that books that, when you finish them, make a person gasp at the beauty of the complexity and deepness. Meh... Tamora Peirce's books don't do that for me. To cheery. The bad that happens is mildly bad.

I'm currently reading The Mallorean by David Eddings. The first book sucked. Completely. The entire thing was a waste. But after the first book, it got better by a lot. Stuff is happening; the book is moving forward. Now I'm on book 3.
                    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Eddings worked for me, but he's never been near the top of my list. Thanks for the Pierce rundown.

Dunno if you'd like her, but one of the authors who routinely flattens me out like a steamroller with the emotions is Connie Willis. Her last book, Passage (about near-death experiences, disasters, and the Titanic in equal measure) damn near killed me. I had stayed up until 4am reading it, and promising I'd put it down soon and go to sleep to get up to go to work in four hours, and then she did something so incredibly evil (if you've read the book, you know exactly what I'm talking about) that I had to stay up the rest of the night to finish the book.

And it was worth it. I can't wait for her next book.

Comment

• Whee, new Pratchett is out??? The first- no, wait, seco-no, okay, alright, fourth thing I do tomorrow is going to my bookstores to check. *crosses fingers*

Thanks for the heads-up, Kathy.
                        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• De nada. I got into work incredibly late today (I'll be in the office into a good chunk of primetime for that), in order to read "...just one more chapter" which, naturally, transmogrified into half the book.

It is, needless to say, really really good. Possibly even better than Wee Free Men. And I've hit the part where Granny Weatherwax shows up. More than a cameo this time.

Comment

• *bounces eagerly* It's not there yet, but, hopefully, very soon- at least they all knew it existed and have it on order. *sigh* I hare shipping times.
                            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Bump.

So who wants to talk Terry Pratchett?

BTW, I found an old interview with him about Thief of Time.

Comment

• Terry pratchett? Good Omens?
                                in what do you work kli?
                                Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
                                ------------------------------------------------------------
                                "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

Working...
                                X