No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No I haven't sry but I did like The Blue Sword, and Hero and the Crownby Robin McKinley and were very good but not very popular.
    -Devin Caster
    I thought the Hero and the Crown was great! But The Blue Sword... I dunno if the fact that the library copy I got was moldy effected my opinion or not, but I realy din't like it. It was all kinda stupid how it turned out. What did Harry do? Ummm... Okay, the mountain fell. That's a kinda lousy ending. And what else? I hated the guy she married. GRRR to him.

M: That was another of my typos. Jane Yolen came to my school years ago, and I have a signed book.

Aurie, they think that? Oh god. *Shudders* Half the males and 40% of females think that... And where did they get that info? Hopefully that isn't true. Oh, god!

-MaThFrEaK
    "What's a solar system? Am I a solar system?"
    "Hehehe. You smell funny."
    ~Gryphon~
    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• The book's called "Teen Violence" and the author is "Susan S. Lang" if you want. It's non-fiction, and it was printed in about 1994. There's no information there newer than 1994. So I'm a little suspicious of facts, but yeah, they said that, and typically you cannot publish a non-fiction book with inaccurate information. The most wavering room you have is that it was printed in 1994 and things have chamged since then. Maybe a lot, maybe a little, but things HAVE changed. Whether kids still think that, ten years later, I don't know.

Then again, America is built on a culture of fear. So says "Bowling for Columbine." And metal detectors at schools and stuff, that's interesting. The first stabbing or shooting in my town was in a high school in a fairly safe part of town, A-kun goes to that school... I've been there, for a dance, they frisk you. That's checking you for weapons. I can see why, I think they've had a couple attempted stabbings and stuff...

*completely desensitized- most of us are pretty much like "Hey, I get shot and die, what can I do? Whatever." sort of thing. Most of us know it could happen to us, and we've accepted the fact.*

Kitsune Rei ~kisses taste nice~

Comment

• Slight tangent... how many (fiction) books do people have, and does anyone else other than me have serious storage problems?
        Secondly, has anyone here read Dianna Wynne Jones' The Merlin Conspiracy? It's come out in paperback here recently, and I am debating with myself whether to read it. (I am nearing the end of term, and need something for the long train journey home).

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation
        "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

• Wilf... Heh. Storage is nearly a problem for me. ALL of my shelves are packed with books so I don't have much room for anything else. But if I bought every book I read and didn't get rid of the ones I didn't like, then I'd have a BIG problem. My mom's book shelves HUGE and every row has three rows of books (in front of each other).

Have I told anyone that I've started A Wizard's Holiday finally? Oh, I did... I remember talking about crabs. See, I don't have hard cover for any of the other books, so I wouldn't've known that they had that.

Wouldn't've... Heh. I don't think I can do that. Would not have => wouldn't've. Funny.

-MaThFrEaK
          ~Gryphon~
          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Hey, Lee?
            Everytima I try to enter chatter it says
            Did not find any data for THAT message.
            Why's that?

And the oscar goes to...The Lord of The Rings!!!
            Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
            ------------------------------------------------------------
            "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• ...I have the same problem, only with me it's with entering Chatter II...

Everytime I click on Chatter II, it comes up with an error message saying that it could not find any data for that message... o.O

So I've been clicking directly into the topics, and using "Previous Topic/Next Topic" to get around...

Kitsune Rei ~kisses taste nice~

Comment

• *nods* Yeah, me too...but I've been using 'Find' to get to whatever topic. It works...

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.
                -- (Terry Pratchett, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents)
                My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
                OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• Aug, I hate all these problems. The shoutbox is driving me mad!!! I can see what everyone else says, but I can't say hi back!!!!!

-MaThFrEaK
                  ~Gryphon~

Comment

• Hopefully the new forum 'ware will solve such bugs...we will have to wait and see. I am currently wondering whther or not I'll be the last person to post in the 'old' forums - we shall see.

Comment

• Maybe but I've already have had some errors but that maybe because it is new so we have to give it time to ajust to the the forum it will proplby take a week or so.
                      *Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
                      *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
                      *Many have come and go

Comment

• Wilf, The Merlin Conspiracy is great, but it's a semi-sorta-sequel to another DWJ book, Deep Secret. You don't have to read them in order, but it's more fun if you do, like Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Air.

BTW, for anybody who was interested in the Mike Ford collection, I have to warn you, I damn near got a hernia I laughed so hard, when I got around to one piece entitled, "Glitz in the Afternoon."

[This message was edited by kli6 on 16 March 2004 at 12:36.]
                        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I know I've said this a million times before but I just bought another Michael Crichton book and I'm bored, this needs to be posted as much as possible.
                          YOU GUYS NEED TO READ HIM!!!!! (For ppl who haven't) He's the best!!! Congo is really good, TIMELINE, Jurrasic Park, and I'm willing to bet all my money (Not much.......) that all his other books are awesome too. Read them!!
                          Do I get overly obsessed with books I like?

You know what's gonna happen? Someone's gonna read a Michael Crichton book on here and then hate it. Boy will that hit me... But no one could hate Michael Crichton book!!! *gasp* The horror!!!! JK.
                          *Agent~M*
                          "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                          "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                          "I could live

Comment

• Preparing for an upcoming Garth Nix signing, I plowed my way through the first two volumes of "The Keys to the Kingdom" series, and really enjoyed it. It's definitely stronger than the Seventh Tower series, and I like the whole idiom of days of the week. I agree with Tui that it's not as strong as the Sabriel series, but I think it's aimed at a different audience.

I also like that all the metals that will stop a Scouger(sp?) are the metals used to tip fountain pens.
                            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• No writers ever come here... I'll read Keys to the Kingdom, I loved Sabriel...
                              Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
                              ------------------------------------------------------------
                              "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• Keys to Kingdom... is that by Garth Nix, too?

I like the Seventh Tower books. Wait, did I? I think I did. Hmm... Another series that I ahven't read in forever. And how long ago was this one? I think I got the last few several months (years) apart. Not a good thing if you want to remember what happens.

Sabriel was pretty good, I guess. Necromancers are cool. But I thought that Lireal kinda... stunk. Lireal? That doesn't sound right. Ugg. I forgot what it's called!

Comment

Working...
                                X