No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah. Thought I'd try using my chop again. Hoping nobody else steals it. Welcome back, PPC!!

My favorite time travel book is probably Connie Willis's To Say Nothing of the Dog. It's funny and fun, and the time travelling portions are completely believable.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I read Timeline! Finally! It was very awesome. Yes. I am officially addicted to Crichton.
      I know what you mean. I've been addicted to Chrichton since Jurassic Park. You should read others of his, like Prey.
      "Deceit shall have its reward." - Timeline

Comment

• Oh, Jen, believe me, I have. Prey, Congo, Sphere, Airframe, Jurassic Park, The Lost World...all these sit on my bookshelf in addition to Timeline.

Incidentally, on a completely unrelated yet still sort-of-on-topic train of thought, I discovered a Discworld MUD at http://discworld.atuin.net/lpc/ and have been playing joyously. ph33r my m4d thi3f skillz.
        My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
        OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
        --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• On an equally unrelated note, Amber!!! Hello! long time no see.

Er... *hunts around for on-topicness* Um, anyone read any Ngaio Marsh lately? What do you think of Alleyn? And what about Troy- love her or hate her?

had noticed that Robin McKinely had been married, but hadn't changed her last name. And then I found her author husband! It wuoldn't make sense to change her name if she's well known with her original one.
          Or maybe, you know, she likes her own name. I mean, there is always this mad fringe group of women who don't feel the need to change their name to their husband's...</sarcastic feminism>
          *sheepish grin* my mother didn't change her name, now I have hers and the boys have dad's, it all works out and doesn't that as a system make sense to you???

...no??? *sighs*
          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Tui, it makes perfect sense. As does a couple who hate their last names BOTH choosing a new, different married name. It's apparently something of a kick for the husband to be able to fill out a "maiden name" on forms.

I like Ngaio Marsh and enjoy the heck out of Troy and Alleyn, but I can't help thinking of them as a pale echo of Dorothy L. Sayers's Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane in a twisted kind of way. And the BBC tv series bore only a titular resemblance to the books--kind of like James Bond movies.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Ah, I knew I wasn't insane. And the picking-a-whole-new-married-name idea is wonderful, too... *grins* of course I suppose it depends what kind of guy you marry.

Mm, I like them too, and I see the resemblance... of course the novelty of Kiwi murder mysteries is too much for me to resist, but you're definitely right there.

Comment

• OTOH, you only got to follow Harriet and Peter until their eldest kid was like eight years old or something. Whereas with Troy and Alleyn....

A mystery series I always meant to get back to (I only read the first two) was the Michael Bond "Monsieur Pamplemousse" series. It follows the common formula of detective-with-another-interesting-profession, (Pamplemousse was a restaurant critic for the Michelin guide). But the books were also really goofy, given that Bond is the same guy who wrote all those Paddington Bear books.

Comment

• I just want to throw in a recommendation for Michael Dorris' Sees Behind Trees. The basic plotline is a Native American teen with what appears to be severe myopia, but neither the plot nor the writing style were at all typical. I was very impressed. Haven't read anything else by that author, but I wouldn't turn up my nose at it should I see it.

Comment

• Tui! I missed you! :glomp: Yay~
                    Anyway...
                    Ugh, I feel awful now...I can't think of anything to say about the subtopics at hand. I did buy a lot of Terry Pratchett recently...but that's hardly post-worthy...
                    OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                    --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• Incidentally, on a completely unrelated yet still sort-of-on-topic train of thought, I discovered a Discworld MUD at http://discworld.atuin.net/lpc/ and have been playing joyously.
                      Never tried an MUD before, but I love it already. Did you know there was a classic point-and-click puzzle Discworld game? Good stuff it is.

Comment

• I always find a mud...become adicted by it...then forget it after one month or so...however, a really good one is named Achaea. It's roleplaying. What's discworld?
                        Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
                        ------------------------------------------------------------
                        "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• *glomps back* We missed you too! It was peculiar because you vanished, you didn't say goodbye... Where were you (uness it's presumptuous to ask)?

Hmm, on-topicality... right! A Hat Full of Sky. I've only read the first few chapters, but I'm really enjoying them... "a real witch can make a shambe out of anything." If that's the criteria, I'm definitely in the running.

Comment

• Yes papercrane! I miss our most posts races!
                            Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
                            ------------------------------------------------------------
                            "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• Tui:
                              Short version: My computer got a bad sickness. I could not access anywhere for a while. And then for some reason it was blocking here too. But I suppose I could have stolen someone's computer and come back here...I just sort of got into the habit of not, you know?
                              Ohh...I want A Hat Full of Sky so much. ^_^ I'm at a nearby university studying creative writing, or I'd be reading it right now.
                              Come to think of it, there's probably a bookstore around here somewhere with it...I know Barnes & Nobles doesn't have it, but...yeah.

db! Haven't seen you for a while...

GMM: Isn't it the best? I'm so in love with it.
                              --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• hee hee. Post races... You remember those don't you Tui?
                                Barnes & Noble doesn't have something??? *gasp* I love Barnes and Noble... It always has everything... lol.
                                *Agent~M*
                                "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                                "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                                "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                                "I could live

Comment

Working...
                                X