No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooo TAKE ME! Legoland California rocks! The monuements are so cool. The rides are a little boring but I have a little brother so I went on all the rides anyways with him.

Pops...don't you have a niece or something??? Drag them along...or again PICK ME!
    penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• Stressed, stressed, stressed... *deep breath*

If you didn't notice, I really freak when I'm stressed. So now is the time to avoid annoyingly short posts to avoid my wrath. Also, I get very mad when people's opinions clash with mine.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to do something about that side of my personality.

I started reading The Amulate of Samarkand. That book rocks. Whoever recommended it rocks, too. So glad I bought it. Is the second one out in paperback yet, anyone know?

Lego monuments? They don't have lego monuments? Well, I remember visiting this lego thing in Disneyworld. Lego monuments there at legoland.
      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Just feel like mentioning that if anybody wanted fantasy with a decided English/Regency period feel to it, I've finally managed to locate a copy of Susannah Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and I now understand what all the fuss is about. I'm about 20 pages in, but it's good already. I see get why Gaiman was obliquely referring to Hope Mirrlees's Lud-in-the-Mist when he reviewed it: a very specific feel for the language and mannerisms of a specific era/location.

And (although I doubt anybody's interested in knowing), I got the white cover.
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• re Going Postal: *want want want* I don't buy hardbacks on principle, and my library doesn't have it yet...and I don't have any pratchett-fan-friends who live within four hours. *sigh*
          Have been reading a lot of Michael Crichton (Rising Sun, Timeline, Prey), Orson Scott Card (Songster, Ender's Shadow, Shadow Puppets), Isaac Asimov (Robot Dreams, Naked Sun, I, Robot) and Douglas Adams lately.
          This utterly useless first post in ages has been brought to you by papercrane.
          My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
          OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
          --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• ppc--at least it's totally worth the wait!

And strangely, I'm sort of the opposite. I buy hardbacks on principle. The writer usually gets more money from a hardcover than a paperback, and the more hardcovers sell, the more chance there is that there will be a paperback.

Tradepapers, though, that's another story.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• re: Going Postal: ...WHAT!!!??? The new DW book is out, AND MY LOCAL BARNES AND NOBLES DOESN'T HAVE IT YET!!!??? GRAAAAHHHH!!! *pulls hair out in frustration*

*sniffle* I haven't even been able to get my hands on Monstrous Regiment yet.... *sniffle*

Comment

• hee...I authorWatch (or whatever the verb is) Terry Pratchett, so of course I read and reread all excerpts and wanted it dearly.
                kli: My 'principle' is more based on 'Amber Has No Money' than actually supporting the author. ^_^'
                My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
                OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• Going Postal is one of the better Discworld books... it reminded me of The Truth in many ways... see http://www.discworldmonthly.co.uk/dwm0090.php#S_7 for a review.
                  "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

• I've seen the book version of The Brick Testament. The bookstore shelved it in the kids' section, which I think was a mistake.

Now, what we really need is some YW Lego fanart. I mean, if you can do Darth Vader with a glowing lightsabre, why not the Lone Power with crackling blue lightning?

Comment

• Oh, you really should be more careful what you ask for... because you might just get it...

*ponder ponder* what's a good scene to do first...?

Just out of curiosity, have you seen the Harry Potter cartoons in Irregular Webcomic? Though if I did try doing YW fanart, I'd be tempted to use a Lego library in 3D software instead.
                      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• Hm, yes, should have phrased that a little more carefully.

Well, if you're going to do one of the really big Lego sculptures (like at the theme park) you could start with "monuments" from the books: the statues of New York going into battle, or TLP on Its eight-legged horse.

But those Lego comics are great! I've never seen those before! Is there really a Harry Potter Lego figure available, or did someone alter one? If you're going to do a scene with little figures it might be fun to try one of Ponch's universes. Is there a Lego dog that looks like Ponch?

Hey.... I bet there's a scarlet and blue macaw somewhere in the pirate ship set.

Or there are Star Wars Legos, I think. You could do Dairine among the Jedi.

Comment

• talkingbeast:
                          Hey.... I bet there's a scarlet and blue macaw somewhere in the pirate ship set.
                          There is! Wait, it has yellow and green in it too, I beleive. Hmm.

Triggers memories. I remember sticking lego parrots and other things (I think one was all gray) in play-do or whatever it's called, then being upset cut I couldn't get all of the play-do off.
                          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Lego have made Harry Potter sets to tie in with the three films, so yes, they're for real. All David's Harry Potter figures except for Steve, Cthulhu and the crocodiles are from the Harry Potter sets.

They've changed the skin colour to pink for the PoA sets, but without changing most of the rest of their range. To see the difference, click on Fan Art and then the picture next to the text about pink-skinned figures.

There are dogs, but I don't think I've got any - they don't look like my mental image of Ponch, anyway.

There are cats, but I only have one of the two versions, which is a pouncing kitten type. That's not going to work for all the main characters in TBONWM .

I forgot about the parrot! Oh, yes. And yes, Lego do a Darth Vader figure for Dairine to meet...

*takes list of wizards who need to be made in Lego from the http://wwww.youngwizards.com site's sidebar*
                            Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• I too am craving Going Postal. *kicks around the boards sulking miserably* I have no money, and no chance to busk any up for a while either. I wish I had a more regular job...

*sigh* But anyway, the library will get it eventually, I know. *muttermuttergrumble* I want to own it... woe...

Hmm, and ABARAT2. Exciting.
                              I think I've heard of The Dark is Rising...
                              Agent M, you... I am SHOCKED! SHOCKED AND HORRIFIED! You go out and read them right this second, miss! Susan Cooper.

*sigh* Ahh, TDIR... I always used to love Greenwitch. Still do.
                              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Yes! The Dark Is Rising is a very good cycle; you all must read it!

I read Guards! Guards! for my next excursion into Pratchett-land, and am suffering from withdrawal. *mutters* Must get more Pratchett. Fire up the library computers! Full Speed, and more coal!
                                "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                                "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Working...
                                X