No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sure, but then we'd be talking Neil Gaiman, too! I love the concept that all cassette tapes left in the car turn into Queen tapes. And I think my favorite two bits are, "I think I'll call you Dog." and the bugger-all-this bible.

What I work in? I work in an office.
    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• You know that Project Gutenberg includes a King James Bible? How tempted were you to download it and make the changes ? At least, the three extra verses that Aziraphale added?

I can't remember if I realised the first time through Good Omens (must have read it at least five times now) that Adam's friends parallel the Four Horsemen.

[Added]
      You know, this is the only way I'll ever be able to afford a Gutenberg bible!
      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• Oh, pfeh. Who wants a PG version of the bible?
        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I'm reading the prequel quartet of The Circle Opens Quartet. Or rather, I finished it the day my fouth book came from amazon. In addition, I got the second Artemus Foul book. I loved the first one desperately. I'm a sucker for an easy read with a unique plot.

Tamora Pierce is among the Who's Who of Science Fiction novels. She's brilliant. A little young, but brilliant.
          http://superdrea.net/

Comment

• After the chat on Saturday, I wandered around the library and grabbed Oliver Sacks's An Anthropologist on Mars. I'm about halfway through it. I rarely read non-fiction, so this is my first Sacks, and it's been rather an intense ride. The weird thing is that I can see all the story ideas that have been launched by reading Sacks, (Awakenings (obviously); frontal lobe damage => Touching Evil; regaining sight => At First Sight; etc.) And it was startling as hell to see Francis Crick's name used in a completely non-DNA context, as well as learning that the guy who thought up frontal lobotomies with an ice-pick got a Nobel Prize for it (shudder).

Fascinating stuff. I'm particularly loving the way that Sacks doesn't restrict himself to current literature, but uses case studies written back in the last three or four centuries as well. And the huge depth of humanity and empathy with which he writes is awe-inspiring. You really couldn't see this without him leading you by the hand. I'm going to have to pick up all his other titles.

Comment

• We have to read Watership Down for my Honors English class, adn thus far (about page 20) it is eexxttrreemmllyy boring. I really hope it gets better, 'cause that sucker is at least 450 pages long. Has anybody read it?
              Ask not for whom the dog barks. It barks for thee.
              :wigglesmile:
              And really bad eggs...
              Go salaí cúnna ifrinn do chuid calóga arbhair.
              S.P.R.B.I (Semi Puke Related
              Barf Incident)
              Weak Sauce!

Comment

• Yeah, I've read it, but I remember enjoying it from the beginning. And having tons of difficulty even getting into Shardik (Adams's next effort with bears instead of rabbits) and The Plague Dogs, so you may just be in for a long tough haul. There is an animated film version of it that gives you about half the book. Might be worth a viewing to get a boost up on the reading.

Comment

• Hmm, thanks I'll keep that in mind. I might not be trying hard enough to enjoy it. That happens sometimes. I was also REALLY tired when I was trying to read it, so that could have some effect also...
                  Ask not for whom the dog barks. It barks for thee.
                  :wigglesmile:
                  And really bad eggs...
                  Go salaí cúnna ifrinn do chuid calóga arbhair.
                  S.P.R.B.I (Semi Puke Related
                  Barf Incident)
                  Weak Sauce!

Comment

• Bump. So, I've worked my way through Sacks's Oaxaca Journal and am well-started on Uncle Tungsten. I'm really really loving Sacks. I've decided he's PTerry's secret identity.

I also finished The Vicomte de Bragalonne and have begun Louise de la Valliere. Dumas's just planted the idea for The Man in the Iron Mask in Aramis's head...

What are you reading?

Comment

• crookedfrog + Mutch:
                      We have to read Watership Down for my Honors English class, adn thus far (about page 20) it is eexxttrreemmllyy boring. I really hope it gets better, 'cause that sucker is at least 450 pages long. Has anybody read it?
                      I LOVE WATERSHIP DOWN!!!!! OMG, I loved it, loved it, loved it. I read it the beginning of last summer and loved it from the beginning. *pokes* Maybe it'll get better for you if you go a bit further. The best of books!

Tamora Peirce is fluffy and all, but I just had to love her Song of the Lioness. M, I don't care if you couldn't sink into it. That's one of hers that is good!!! Loved it. But I didn't like the Circle of Magic...

I'm reading The Kin by Peter Dickenson. Earlier I had noticed that Robin McKinely had been married, but hadn't changed her last name. And then I found her author husband! It wuoldn't make sense to change her name if she's well known with her original one.

I'm also in the middle of a ton of other books...
                      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• I had noticed that Robin McKinely had been married, but hadn't changed her last name. And then I found her author husband! It wuoldn't make sense to change her name if she's well known with her original one.
                        Nope it would not. Just like a certain DD we all know...

Comment

• My new favorite book is called Downsiders by Neal Shusterman, (I think that's his last name.) He's very good, his writing makes you think. EVERYBODY should try this book!
                          penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• I'm bored. So I'm gonna list some good books

hee hee hee... More Dan Brown books... He's second best to Michael Crichton. Digital Fortress rocks!
                            Ooh... and City of Bones was good too... though really weird.
                            When was the last time I recommended Timeline or City of the Beasts? Hmm....
                            TIMELINE AND CITY OF THE BEASTS ROCK!!!!!!!!! READ THEM!!!!!

*sigh*.... *bored*
                            *Agent~M*
                            "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                            "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                            "I could live

Comment

• I've been reading Awakenings and boy was the Robin Williams film the Disneyfied-pretty version of the story. The book is much more deeply disturbing and fascinating at portraying what really happened with L-DOPA, particularly in the "tribulation" phase when there was no such thing as a stable dose, and the reactions were varying all across the range of Parkinsonisms and schizophrenias. I love Sack's eloquent essay (complete with quotes from Donne) about seeing the disease as part of the entire system, about describing the patient's experience both in clinical and metaphysical terms, of getting to know the individual and listening, as a physician to what the patient has to say. I can see why this is the classic of science/medical writing it's become.

Comment

• kli, I see you're using your name again?

I read Timeline! Finally! It was very awesome. Yes. I am officially addicted to Crichton.
                                My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
                                OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                                --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Working...
                                X