X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald View Post
    What are you trying to do, get me caught?????? *grin*

Yes!

Wolf: Love the pic! I have a friend who's a wolf lover- I'll have to find this poster for her. Okay, gotta go get ready for an orthodontist appoinment

To the ToGR in general: What the heck does this smilie mean? I've been trying to figure it out for ages!

Does it mean you're a frog? Or you want to be a frog? Or....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wolf View Post
      Hey Garrett Fitzgerald... I"m having trouble seeing your picture. I go to flicker, I had to make a flicker name through yahoo or something, and when that was all finished, it said I didn't have permission to see your picture cuz it was a private album??
      Oh. That's kind of annoying. :-) I had set it to friends-only because of the other kids in the picture. In any case, it's the same picture that's on my Profile, so I changed the link above to point there. Thanks for the heads-up.
      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• SilveredBlue: Looks more like a chamaeleon to me.

Wolf: What was that a poster for? Or is it just a generic "I love wolves" one?

...and talking of wolves, one of the books I have which is catalogued only be me on LT is Greyback (by E.M.Watkins), a story about a boy and his dog in Norman-occupied Britain. It has a picture of a very wolf-like dog on the cover.

Oh, and if you buy just one book a week, it'll only take you 20 years to amass a collection of over a thousand.
        -- Rick.

Comment

• SilveredBlue- my mom found the poster on allposters.com.... i believe she just searched "wolf." I looove this. It's so mystical and wonderful. ^_^

Leopard- It's just a "Hey, do you want a wolf poster?" "UhhYES!DUH." moment poster. =) I have a car poster, an andromeda galaxy poster, an earth poster, the horsehead poster, a Star Trek:TNG poster, a Chobits poster (which I've never actually seen!) and the wolf poster I showed. I love them all. =)

I list them all cuz they're actually all the posters I have.

Oh, and SilveredBlue... it's a froggie! Teehee.

Sooo... it's 2:30 am. I have no idea why I'm up. I haven't eaten anything since lunch, so I had a sandwich, but I don't really know what to do now, so... hmm. Guess I'll go to bed. Again. Hm. Sleep is necessary, right? Well, I guess if I stayed up all night, I'd have nothing to do. I'd read, but my poor room mate is asleep. Guess it's podcasts for me!

BTW, I could never get used to liking the idea of books-on-audio. I always like reading them myself. I don't think I could ever listen to a book. Thoughts? I know people have mentioned audio books very recently...
          ..................~*Wolf*~..................
          AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
          Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• Audio books can be very useful when your hands hurt too much to turn the pages, or when you have to be in the dark because of photophobia, or when you're driving and can't take your eyes off the road...
            Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• Audiobooks: Most of the time, I listen to the books after I read them. It's fun to hear the book while cleaning, etc, since you can fill in any parts you miss from your knowledge of the book. But I'm really picky about the readers. I don't listen to YW on audiobook, for example, because the voices of Nita and Filif and Ponch don't match MY ideas of what they should sound like.
              Because, you know, Ponch speaks Cyene with a Spanish accent, according to SYWTBAW....and that doesn't happen in the audiobooks.

I really like Jim Dale's narrations, though, and the guy who narrated the Hobbit and LOTR, and the lady who did Blackbringer (because of her fantastic Scottish accent).

Yeah, I'm just way too picky. It makes my audiobook choices...um, limited.

So the weather we've been having has been strange. Yesterday, it was all this wet wind and pouring rain in the morning, and then there was a tornado warning a few miles away, in the area where I was supposed to be for a violin lesson. Luckily they let it lapse before we had to be there.

And then, while we were cautiously driving, the sky actually got clearer! Crazy California weather. I mean, here's the place where they said there would be severe thunderstorms and possible tornados, and it's a blue sky with the sun glinting off the roads.

Crazy.

Comment

• Okay, a page or so back Wolf said that "it's only 11:20 PM" I would never get enough sleep if I went to bed then. I have to be in bed by like 10:15 and then I don't get enough sleep anyway...I get up at 5:40 to be at the bus stop for school by 6:20. Yes, feel sorry for me. On the other hand, I get home really early.

I listened to part of The Book Thief (really good by the way) on audiobook and then finished it for an English assignment. But from the first few chapters of audiobook, I couldn't get the narrators voice out of my head. The book is interesting because it's narrated by Death, and the audiobook narrator had this deep voice and a heavy British accent. So the whole book, I couldn't get his voice out of my head.
                "This will look great next to my restraining order from Leonard Nimoy!" ~ Sheldon, Big Bang Theory

Comment

• Silveredblue: Did you have to evacuate your house, I heard some people had to because of mudslide risk.

Well since we are all crazy in one way or another I think each of us should say our personal craziness. Mine would probably be going out in cold weather and staying out for hours on end. I also happen to manage to get into an all girls choir as the accompanist but yet remain single with out knowing why.
                  "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• I think SilveredBlue might be JUST out of the range... but I turned on CNN today and they were going on about how like, half of CA is flooded. O_o So I hope SilveredBlue's okay, too... tornadoes, floods, unwanted sunny skies... oh my! Am I allowed to say I'm jealous? We don't get many actual floods here on the East Coast, I would LOVE to see a tornado, and man what I would give for a sunny sky and some nice weather! (Although yesterday wasn't too terrible.)

Estar- it's just past 11pm right now, and I have an 8 30 class tomorrow morning. And then work at FOUR. So... needless to say, I think we all know who's going to come back here and sleep. I might go in my pj's if I was the kind of person that wore sweatpants outside of her house. (I have probably one pair of black sweatpants that I'll wear out, but that's about it... I'm a strictly jeans kinda gal)

SilveredBlue- strange, random question forya... do you live anywhere near Pasadina? I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong. It's right near LA?
                    ..................~*Wolf*~..................
                    AIM: CeliaWells8 / Twitter: Scifi_Nerd
                    Won 2nd Place for Topic Of The Week 04, January, 2010!!!

Comment

• I was actually thinking about that when I heard about the mudslides in southern California. Hope you're out of the way SilveredBlue.

So I finished a scarf for my dad. I was going to upload a picture and brag (it was my first try with this pattern) but I realized that I can't find the software for my camera since I wiped my computer a couple of month back. And they don't have it on Canon's website. They have updates, but not hte actual software. Jerks.

Estar, I can totally relate. I used to get up at about 5-ish to get on the bus at 6:20, and then I had to be at school by 7 for NJROTC practices and 6:30 for staff meetings once a week. Early mornings really suck.
                      I have been enjoying college and no early classes. Except for this semester when I have an 8am Sociological Theory class, and I have a 40 minute commute. Boo.

So my random contribution to TOGR tonight concerns the Nazca Lines. I'm sure that many of you have heard of them even if you don't know that you did, especially if you have seen the 4th Indiana Jones movie. (they There was a Discovery channel show on them on tonight which I watched while working on the new scarf for my mom. It is really amazing that the lines have survived this long, but sadly they are being slowly damaged by tourists. I was excited to learn more about them since we only briefly covered them in class.

PS. I didn't label them as so, but I think everything kind of could be labeled as crazy, or at the very least weird. My family thinks it's crazy at least. Knitting especially. And I have a bit of fanaticism for learning about older cultures. I'm ADD about it in a way, but only because I bounce back and forth.
                      And if you think about it, everything could be seen as crazy, depending on your perspective. I don't really see yours as being crazy NickRyan, or SilveredBlue's. If you want to read some really crazy habits, read about the Nacirema people. ( Brownie point to anyone who understands this.)
                      Last edited by illiriam; January 21, 2010, 01:43:23 AM.

Comment

• Heehee. I'm okay, I didn't have to evacute. Wolf was right, I live just outside the danger zone: the area is not very hilly. And I live about 2 hours south of Pasadena, in a town a bit away from San Diego.

Flooded? Hmm. Not here, although it's extremely wet and squishy. I went outside for a little while because I had cabin fever, and I stepped on our grass and pushed it out of place. Really. You could actually smoosh a clump of grass around whichever way you wanted, because it was mud heaven out there. I spent a few fun minutes sliming grass into bare spots- of which there are many, since our grass is very spotty. It loves the middle of our backyard but not the edges.

I wonder if Lake Hodge has filled up. It's a man-made lake that cycles between being a grass-covered swamp in the summer and a giant, um, lake, in the winter. One year there was not enough rain to fill it, and it turned into a sapling forest, which then suffocated next winter and left pathetic bare-armed skeletons sticking up out of the middle of the lake. It was...interesting.

The rain was coming down in BUCKETS for a little while earlier! I've never seen anything like it. For about ten minutes, the whole house felt like an tiny island or something surrounded by the ocean. It was ROARING down and hurling itself sideways into windows. Then it settled down to a drip, and now it's gone- 2 hours later. Crazy. Live in CA in the winter, and you won't be bored. Now it's 50some degrees here, but we went to the beach for New Year's Day- case in point!

Okay, crazy things I do....I hate putting on pj's. I'll wear my jeans and shirt as late as possible, because I really prefer being ready to go anywhere, agreeing with Wolf on the -pjs-in-public-issue. And occasionally, at night, I make up very long stories that can go on for months, one installment per night....most of them tend along fan-ficcy lines. Not YW fic, but Anne McCaffery and Paolini fic: friendly dragons figure prominently. Yes, it's silly, but it's fun.

PS: I love your second crazy thing you did, Nick. It's funny (in the friendliest possible way).

Illiriam: You wiped your computer?? That's seriously no good. I hope you had important things saved on USB!
                        Last edited by SilveredBlue; January 21, 2010, 01:56:13 AM.

Comment

• I don't know why but I just remembered something that happened a while ago and felt like sharing it. So my cat, Frickle, goes out side alot and one day he was scratching on the door wanting back in. My mom opened the door and Frickle came in only to drop a dead mouse in front of my mom and completely freak her out. A couple weeks later he did the same thing except this mouse was alive and basically uninjured so my dad and I had fun trying to catch a mouse that was trying to get behind the piano. Frickle wasn't aloud to go out for a while but the next time he did he brought home a live uninjured bird and let it go in the house. Luckily the bird was too shocked or frightened to fly. The amazing part about this story is that my cat has no front claws and weighs about 15 pounds.

Silveredblue: thats good that you were hurt. Thanks I guess for thinking it was funny.

Wolf: I'm the exact opposite. I wear my pjs until I have to change to go somewhere.
                          "These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."-Groucho Marx

"What is scientific fact? An oxymoron. Science does not deal in facts. It deals in hypotheses, which are never fully and finally correct."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Hmm, craziness? Well, I hear voices, does that count?
                            Las Vegas Boulevard is jammed, and I'm in love...

Comment

• Nick: Your second crazy thing is awesome, in some way or form. And your cat is amazing! The cats in our neighborhood only leave dead things.

SilveredBlue: Yay, I'm not the only one! About the pjs and the stories, that is. I never write down any of the stories at all, but they're really fun to think up and continue every night! I think story installments like that somehow go hand-in-hand with the "Not able to fall asleep without reading" quality.

Okay, so I have the short story collection "Sixteen" which includes a story by DD, called Midnight Snack (It's about a girl, well, her dad came down with the flu so she had to go down to the subway to feed the unicorns). In the short story book, on the "About the Author" page right after the story, it noted that the story had been adapted into a half-hour long animated television special. I've gone to google about this and found pretty much nothing at all.

I wonder whatever happened to it... Anyone else heard of it?
                              Last edited by kk; January 21, 2010, 10:41:34 AM.
                              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Originally posted by NickRyan View Post
                                Silveredblue: thats good that you were hurt.
                                *sad face* now you don't like me because I thought your second thing was funny.

No, no, don't worry! I knew what you meant. At least, I HOPE you meant "weren't"...otherwise, I would be sad!

Haha, no front claws and weighs fifteen pounds? That's one spunky cat! I wonder how she killed the first mouse- maybe she pounced backwards!

Now it's raining again....I predict our grass will start floating soon...

Last night, my dad was driving home from work and he saw a guy on a motorcycle on the highway, with the rain pouring down and the wind blowing...
                                Poor guy. I bet that he had a hot shower when he got home. That must have been a lot less fun than riding a motorcycle usually is.

Really? Midnight Snack was made into a special??? What I wouldn't give to see that!

Trialia: Voices? Like hallucination voices, or first-sign-of-madness voices, or just friendly ones like Tiffany Aching's Third Thoughts? (From A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett)

EDIT: I just realized I've been spelling your name wrong for a very long time, Trialia. I thought that it was "Tri-al-a" but now I realize that it is "Tri-a-li-a". Sorry!
                                Last edited by SilveredBlue; January 21, 2010, 02:00:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X