No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dai all! I haven't been around for a while... The semester ending brought on a lot of homework, and now that it's over, I can finally relax. Starting with my birthday! It's on Sunday, and my party's tomorrow.

We also had a band/orchestra concert. There were only the kindergarteners and the parents there, but no one really cared. We had to get al dressed up i black and white, and I had to change into heels. Aaah. The straps were digging into my feet the whole time. At lest I was first chair viola.

Happy holidays everyone!
    "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

• Wow...I haven't been on in a while! That's because of dial-up internet. It just...doesn't like me!

Life is...interesting. We're all getting used to my grandfather not being around, and now my little 10-yr-old cousin (he's young for his age) is in the hospital. It doesn't look so good right now -- he has cystic fibrosis (sp?) and a bunch of other stuff. He needed to go to the hospital about a month ago, but his mom wouldn't let him (her exact words were "What good would it do?" She's so horrible!)

So, now I'm worried about my cousin. sigh...

But I have good news!

1) I have found my own way to use the old smileys! Well, the ones (like the grin) that didn't get moved here. And...

2) I found another version of Mr. Bobbles! (aka , or "Wiggle2," or "George") Here he is:

If Mr. Bobbles was named George, then what will this one be named? I vote for "Fred." Ahahahaha...
      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• kk: Best wishes for your cousin! And how do you get the smileys? I can't find any...at all...meh. I think the new forum hates me as much as I love it.

Zirsta: Happy birthday!

Stormwind: Thanks! I had to take an IQ test yesterday...it was very weird. One of the questions I was asked was this: "If a child younger and smaller than you starts to pick a fight with you, what do you do?" I'm not sure if they were testing my intelligence or trying to figure out whether or not I'm morally decrepit. Maybe a bit of both?

I'm knitting a hat for my mom for Christmas on one of those Knifty Knitter looms. It's working out well, but I'm having a problem with the hem. I think it's mostly due to the fact that the instructions I'm using are extremely vague...but I'm figuring it out.

I really don't want to go to school Monday and Tuesday. I've got to present my 10-minute oratory Tuesday for speech and debate, and I haven't even written the thing yet. Blech. I also have to write my con case for PuF debate. Blech, again. I had to go Christmas shopping/making all day today, and so haven't done either one. *dies* My mom asked me if there was anything she could do to help, and I told her to give me food poisoning. I was only half joking. :/

Dai everyone, and happy holidays if I'm not on for a while!

Comment

• yay! a topic of great randomness.....
          Always my favorite topic.
          call me crazy...
          I don't care

Comment

• Alla: Who finally got you to read Twilight? XD Also, I can't remember if I ever asked, but have you read anything by Gillian Rubinstein? She lives in Aussie

Has anyone seen the topic by DD that asks what we want to see in upcoming YW books? I read her post and got all excited...but I don't know what to say! I'm mostly excited that there are going to BE at least three more books. *does happy dance* In a lot of ways, I guess I mostly want her to surprise me...I can't think of any decent suggestions off the top of my head.

The weather has been strange around here (southeast TN). For awhile it got really cold, then it was cold in the morning and warm later in the day...then for a few days it was really warm, like 65F. Now I think it's gotten cold again...though mostly I've been staying inside. My house has been fairly cold 90% of the time, sometimes downright freezing, because the furnace is on the fritz. It's too old and we're going to have a new one put in, possibly this week. Hopefully it'll get warmer around the house soon!

I only have one week off for Christmas, and that's this coming week. Next week I have to work Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, then school starts back on the 5th. It's my last semester though, and I only have 4 classes: Producing Web Content, Literature of the Bible, Spanish 214 (intermediate Spanish; it's a continuation of 213, which I just finished. Same teacher, so I can use the same book and online stuff), and Screenwriting/Playwriting. The semester ends in April, and graduation is on May 3 I think. I'm not going to walk, though...I don't really care about the ceremony that much. I won't get my paper copy of the degree until 6-8 weeks after graduation anyway. I really hope I can keep working where I am now. I'm sure they'll hire me if at all possible, it all depends on the budget. The thing is, they keep having a bunch of budget cuts and hiring freezes. Everyone in my office loves me though, and they're always saying how they don't know if they could manage without me It's nice to feel appreciated.

This past semester I finally wrote a complete draft of one of my stories! I have to start revising sometime soon...though I swear it's going to eat my soul. It's so hard! I'm sure I'll figure out how to polish it up, but it's going to take forever. I hope I can get a bunch of people to read it and let me know what's working and what isn't. I have it all posted on a website, so if you want to read it send me a PM (private message) and I'll send you the link. Oh and it's a young adult sci-fi/fantasy novel about a secret agent organization, set in an alternate universe.

I can't remember if I was going to say anything else...so I guess I'll end this long post now. Nice to see all of you guys here! *hugs all around*

**Edit**
            Quick question...is the member status based on number of posts or how long the user has been a member? For some reason, I thought mine said Senior Member before, but now I see it just says Member. Am I missing something?
            Last edited by Rad; December 21, 2008, 02:37:51 PM.
            ~Rachel

Comment

• Rad: *TACKLEHUGGLES* Haven't heard from you in aages, mate . I went and saw the movie with a friend and felt that it was missing quite a bit, so I've been reading the books pretty much flat chat as I can get my hands on them... they're better than I was expecting.

Ugggh, I have to go and log more core today. I want a holiday...

Comment

• ...Oh... wow. its the TOGR...

I am shell shocked...

HI everyone! XD *waves*

Rad if you thought YOUR weather was freezing and cold x.O it's been snowing since friday there's probably close to about 20 inches now...

Which isn't so so much but its only december, we're not usually hit this hard til January...

STILL. wow. this new board is so fancy! I haven't been around in forever...

*excitement*

...and I just realized how pathetic it is that I only have 94 posts...

Comment

• Eowyngirl: I saved all of the old smilies as image files, and uploaded them to photobucket. Then, all I have to do is use the insert image thingy, and I can use the old smilies! And a bunch of new ones that I found, like the other one that I had, the second Mr. Bobbles.

*needs a better technical term for the insert image thingy*

I feel really really happy today. Why exactly do I feel happy? Well, that's because a really close friend of mine came to hang out with me today! I'm so glad he came, I haven't seen him in forever...Well, it's been a while.

While we were hanging out, I was reading through the forums, and when I went to reply to something he pointed to this smiley, and said "An angel, like you!" I laughed a little, before saying, "Sure, but that's the Tumbleweed of Doom..." Then he looked at me really strangely... haha.
                  Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Rad: Yes, I've read some stuff by Gillian Rubenstein. I've read Galax-Arena and its sequel, I think, and the Tales of the Otori books that are published under Lian Hearn.

Originally posted by Nella View Post
                    ...Oh... wow. its the TOGR...

I am shell shocked...
                    Amazed at how much it has grown? Good to see you back. I think this board only counts the actual posts that you've had, rather than the posts that people can read, as well as those that have disappeared with time/hiccups.

Anyone who wants to with cooler weather than 35 degreesC in the shade; I will trade with you. A white Christmas would be a nice change .

I've been logging core today. There are only so many times that I can log a sandstone/siltstone/coal/mudstone/siltstone/sandstone sequnce before i go nuts... *sigh* and I still have a couple hundred metres worth to go.

kk: TWoD!! How I miss my tumbleweeds... Were you around for them? Or did you hear about them from other people. TWoD brings back memories of Telaldalin, though She wrote his theme song... http://www.youngwizards.com/forums/s...+doom#post1364 <<- under the link.

Oh wow... I'd forgotten about the Aussie Christmas Carols that I posted (they're about half way down the previous page to the above link). *wanders off humming Aussie Jingle Bells*
                    Last edited by alla; December 22, 2008, 05:15:19 AM.

Comment

• TALES OF THE OTORI WAS WRITTEN BY GILLIAN RUBENSTEIN?? omg, I never ever knew that. !! Awesome. (I love Gillian Rubenstein's SF-y books, and I've read a couple of her short stories in compilations and really enjoyed them - IIRC, "Annie's Brother's Suit" is fantastic.)

Randomly, is anyone else doing Yuletide this year?
                      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Yeah, I know how you feel about the Otori books. I was surprised when I found out too (about a year ago now). They're just so different to the rest of her stuff that I've read/had shoved at me to read.

Not doing Yuletide. I'm not a big fan of writing fanfic... I'd rather play with my own characters. Speaking of writing. How many here competed in and completed NaNo? I tried, I didn't get very far though. Stupid honours essay made me not want to sit at the computer for hours on end typing out 40000 words in five days...

Comment

• I kind of like my white christmasses Alla XD. That and I hate any temperatures higher than 80 degrees I don't think I'd do well in Australia this time of year.
                          But you can totally come live with me! Or maybe I can send you some snow in a box. Some lady did that last year... I don't know if any other states people heard about it, but some woman took a bunch of snow and put it in boxes and sold it. The sad and not really surprising part was that she made a crapload of money...

As to Nano no... I didn't even start writing one... Mainly because I have another big project going but also because I had a lot of school work. Rad did though! And she won... Which is really really cool... I've yet to read hers yet.. *is sheepish* because of all the work.

And what exactly are you doing Alla that requires "logging core"... Not that I know what that is... I'll look it up.

kk: I'm really jealous of all your old smilies ability.

Comment

• Alla: I was there for the Tumbleweeds...just as they stopped being used, I think. And I've read the explanations. I wasn't really allowed to use the chat except twice, so I missed most of the tumbleweeds.

Oh well... I've seen them used in ToGR before, and maybe once in chat, but that's it.

I think they're great, besides!

I think the Tumbleweeds should be reinstated...Haha... And if they are, this should be a new tumbleweed: It's a tumbleweed that's actually tumbling!

Nella: I can give you the links to the old smileys if you want. Just PM me, and I'll send them
                            Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• kk that would be fantastical....

Once I figure out how to use pm that is... I'm so technologically challenged when I get out of my comfort zone...

The sky is blue today! I'm so shocked...

Comment

• Hehe, it's cold where I live. As in, if it gets above 0 degrees, people start wearing shorts.
                                AND I'M SO HAPPY TO BE BACK! I don't know anyone anymore. *cries* Except for alla. I remember you. And your avatar. I don't know how I remember it, but oh well. This place just keeps sucking me back in. I leave for a half a year, and then I come back.

I can't believe this thing got so big...I remember when we had a party for 50 pages. It was so cute back then.

And I totally love the Tales of the Otori.

Has anyone read Paradise Lost here? That book is AMAZING! I just finished a huge essay on it that made my brain explode, but it was quite satisfying.

And I remember the tumbleweeds. Oh do I remember the tumbleweeds. Does anyone remember the funfuns? I hope I've finally lived that down...
                                The Taiko Dodo and Mitten of Insanity
                                I promise not to funfun anymore
                                Be happy cause life is good

Comment

Working...
                                X