Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"All right, show her up, it's Miss Jo," said Laurie, going to the door of his little parlor to meet Jo, who appeared, looking rosy and kind, and quite at her ease, with a covered dish in one hand, and Beth's three kittens in the other.
    - Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

and

There are places where the world is quiet, but the enormous lobby of the Hotel Denouement was not one of them.
    -The Penultimate Peril, A Series of Unfortunate Events book #12, Lemony Snicket (which I'm sure is just a pseudonym). THat would be cool if we knew him, but didn't know it was him...that dude is secretive!!

and I have a whole buncha Sherlock Holmes besides me....but that would take forever: it's a boxed set.
    just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

*mutters and shuffles* Oh, there's a book underneath here!
      Hold down the Ctrl key and pick to the right of the bottom-right GeoSphere.
      -3ds max 4 In Depth by Jon McFarland Rob Polevoi

's not mine...my dad borrowed it from a friend and wants me to read it...

Lessee, there's another computer book, a physics text, my fairy tale book that doesn't even have enough pages for me to quote from...

A compiler takes your source code, converts the whole thing into machine language, and then stores these equivalent machine language instructiong is a separate file, often called an executable file.
      -Beginning Programming for Dummies by Wallace W ang (a library book on my card...)

Figure 2.20 In the absence of air resistance, the maximum range of a projectile occurs when it is sent off at an angle of 45 degrees.
      -Modern Technical Physics (Sixth Edition) by Arthur Beiser
      (My dad wants me to read this book too. Go figure...)
      -Tell me and I may remember; show me and I'll understand; involve me and I'll never forget. Thank you, PM. Your light lives on.

Comment

Just my good luck: the closest book to me is Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens.

(He had worked at the Chernobyl Power Station, and at Windscale, and at Three Mile Island, always in minor jobs that weren't very important.)

He had been a minor but valued member of a number of scientific research establishments.

(He had helped to design the petrol engine, and plastics, and the ring-pull can.)
        Such a good book. So funny.

(Just so we're all clear though: I'm only on about page thirty, I've just started it.)

EDIT: Hmm, reading through the topic, it looks like someone's beaten me to Good Omens. Whoops. Though it seems to be a slightly different edition.

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

She discovered she was holding her breath. As she breathed in, Polly Perky blew her whistle, and the niose of the children washed over her again. Whatever the spell had been, the wistle had broken it. Miranda felt perfectly normal again. Ahe blinked away the tears and gave her head a shake. Taryn's aid, holding the hand of Todd, a boy who never seemed aware of anything exept his fingers, which he constantly twiddled in front of his eyes, bustled up and snatched at Taryn's arm.

Welcome to the Ark by:Stephanie S. Tolan
          This is honestly the best book I ever read!!!
          Don't take life so seriously- you wont get out alive anyway.
          I just got lost in thought…it was unfamiliar territory.
          If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Comment

Harry sah, wie es ihn juckte, den Fernseher und den Videorekorder in Augenschein zu nehmen.
            "Die laufen mit Eckelziträt, nicht wahr?", sagte er mit Kennermiene.
            (Harry Potter und der Feuerkelch, von JKRowling, German translation of GoF by Klaus Fritz)

Yes, I'm a dork -- but it really was the nearest book to me! I'll grab the nearest English book too, just because.
            In this respect it is like a conversion experience. We cannot decide on the fourth position [I'm OK, You're OK] without a great deal more information than most people have available to them about the circumstances surrounding the original positions decided on so early in life.
            (I'm OK -- You're OK, by Thomas A. Harris -- pop psychology book from the '60s)

Edit: to fix tags

Comment

This is a dream! i told myself in panic. Someone cant have made of with my body! Can they? - The merlin conspiricy

Latly i have been on a merlin craze. Ive read about 15 books about merlin so far. Help me! im giong insane.
              (\__/) "Be amazing"
              (+'.'+)
              (")_(")

Comment

Ooh, The Merlin Conspiracy. Don't you just adore DWJ? *sigh* She's amazing. Have you read Deep Secret, then? It's really great. Anything about her is pretty great, though, so...

I Am The (Semi-Original) Roshaun Fan. Yay for Prince Unlikely!

Comment

Exploring Ideas In Groups (Peer Review)

Prepare a Breifing: For this activity, prepare a written breifing of your essay ideas. Your breifing should be less than 100 words long and include the following: the main support for your main idea, and an explanation of why your ideas matter.

- The Composition of Everyday Life: A Guide to Writing, John Mauk and John Metz
                  ---
                  seabiscuit1009: there is nothing wrong with getting snogged by Andrew

Comment

"Just as I thought," she said, "Desiderata says we are to give Magrat all the help we can, what with her being so young and everything. Didn't she, Magrat?"

Yeah, it's Witches Abroad. I'm a huge Discworld fan, especially the witches. Go Granny Weatherwax!
                    Bright star that was, dark star that falls, in your downward arc we greet you. Do your poor worst!

Comment

A First Book of C++ From Here to There Third Edition
                      by: Gary J. Bronson

Thus, the division is done first, yielding the expression 5%3*4. The modulus operation is performed next, yielding a result of 2. And finally, the value of 2*4 is computed to yield 8.
                      ~~~
                      No Comments...Wait, that's a Comment!

Comment

The day that had seemed mild....
                        -W@W. I`m not gonna say more. Someone already quoted W@W.

However, there was no trouble; though they had so many requests for encores that they arrived at Little Foldings very much behind schedule, and had to gulp down their drinks and hurry out to the shooting brake, which sped away through the dark across Gramercy Wold with the unicorn easily keeping pace beside it. Even so they arrived at the Chase well after half-past eleven.
                        -All But a Few, By Joan Aiken. *scurries off*
                        "Accomplishing the impossible means only the boss will add it to your regular duties." - Anonymous
                        Nita, Kit, pay attention to that one!

Comment

Other RCA Opera Treasury Discs

yes, I have an opera CD....that isn't in English. Cummon, Hansel and Gretl rocks! AAnyone who's been in a choir ever has probably heard of Evening Prayer.

Oh, and Magicalmike, before I forget: You should read The Lost Years of Merlin. They're so good, the end of the series made me cry. Honestly. Well, because of what happens, but...Ok, I'll shut up now.
                          just let your heart take over and sign with a flourish

Comment

"Is she a mage?" I asked Hannay after she had gone.
                            "You are wondering why she has not become one of Miryum's knifes," Angina guessed. I nodded for Merret's aggression and skill in martial arts was almost legendary and she consistently won the contests staged during our own small moon fairs.

~The Keeping Place, Isobelle Carmody

I haven't started reading it yet, but it's sitting in front of me on the desk and my current book is on my bed, so I picked this one.
                            ------------------------------

Et meme si la route est bien longue a la fin,
                            Et meme si la doute nous fait serrer les poings
                            L'amour nous rassure, brise les murs d'incertitude...

Comment

the book that is near me only has ...61 pages and the 51 page says ("Well li'l short why dont you run away" Kim yelled) in the book A life as a looser and how to servive by Kim Linggerstund....
                              wate when did I have this book? must be my brothers?

Comment

"She was out early the next morning, as (to her relief) Iaehh was: on morning when the weather was fair, he did his jogging around dawn, to take advantage of the city's quietest time."-To Visit the Queen by Diane Duane.
                                "Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance!" I would rather be hated for who i am than be loved for who i pretend to be!
                                "People...stop being mean to each other.
                                Especially for the sake of laughs. IT SPEEDS UP ENTROPY." -Diane Duane in chat.
                                "T

Comment

Working...
                                X