Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It sounds to me like something from Mythology, but I honestly wouldn't know...

The only books I have with me are a sketchbook, and AWD, which I'm sure someone has already done...
    Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Yay for new books!

"'You are rather bitter for someone so young.'
      'That's easy for you to say when you're forced on a dangergeld for a reason you don't know by a group that enforces unspoken rules in unsaid ways.'
      That stopped him long enough for me to step around him and past Myrten. Tamra's back was in front of me as she passed by the table. No one was left there. Even Krystal had left several of the delicately-cut apple slices on the plate, where they were now turning brown."

The Magic of Recluce,
      L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
      "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
      -Terry Pratchett
      Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• "...And so: Siddhartha is not satisfactory to you as he is,wiith oil in his hair, but no clothes, no shoes, no money?"
        Laughing, Kamala excalimed: "No, my worthy friend, he is not satisfactory. He must have clothes, lovely clothes, and shoes, lovely shoes, and lots of money in his pouch, and gifts for Kamala. Now do you know, samana from the forest? Have you noted it?"
        From Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse. Not the most interesting in my opinion but my sister's summer reading happens to just be hanging out on the floor.
        ~We're the kinda friends that kill each other for a handful of Doritos and in the end we don't say sorry we say Haha! Too bad!!~. Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Comment

• This one's funny and it's really on page 51:
          "'Your welcome to look it up yourself,' she gestured at the huge stack of journals beside her bed.
          'I'd rather drown' Seth admitted.'smarter people than you have tried to trick me into reading'"
          Fablehaven, #3, Grip of the Shadow Plague Brandon Mull
          Good series.
          "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

• page 51
            "The day that had seemed mild earlier seemed chilly now, as the spring breeze whistled down the street and rustled the maple leaves"

guess the book
            Dai!

P.S. gone libraring

Comment

• "We had no difficulty finding the broad elephant trail, which Ventvogel, after examination, pronounced to have been made by between twenty and thirty elephants, most of them full-grown bulls."

King Solomon's Mines, by H. Rider Haggard. A classic.
              "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
              "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

• "It's an interesting thing to be both critical and expendable to humanity's efforts to populate the stars. On the whole, I thought, I might have been smarter to stay on Huckleberry."

--The Last Colony. John Scalzi.
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• "No, magic is the only way," said Ponder Stibbons.
                  "It worked when we brought him here, didn't it?"
                  "Oh, yes," said Rincewind. "Just send me thousands of miles with my pants on fire and you don't even know where I'll land? Oh yes, that's ideal, that is."

Interesting Times-Terry pratchett.
                  “I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”
                  -Groucho Marx

Comment

• Here's my two cents:
                    Kai, who was from Titan, where there wereslippery slopes, had been feeling the same way. "What natural process would form something like this?"
                    Quoted from Alpha Centauri by William Barton and Michael Capobianco
                    It's an SF set in 2239. Sounded interesting--and is.

Comment

• Lately I have been rereading all of my favorites, but here is what I'm reading at the moment.

Her song went bitter, acquiring a rasp that hurt Nita's ears. "Now I'm stuck handling it all myself. It's not easy: You have to pick each whale-wizard carefully for each part. I don't know who he had in mind to do what. Now I have to work it out myself- and I need help' from wizards who can handle trouble if it comes up"

- Deep Wizardry, by Diane Duane

I have been rereading the Young Wizards series lately, and this is were I am at the time being.
                      Ars longa, vita brevis
                      (Art is long, life is brief) -- Seneca

Comment

• "Eusa shoots up then he says, 'Erny youre the 1 whats getting in front of your self and going to fall over your self and all if you dont go careful. Youre getting in your oan way is what youre doing Erny.' Eusas face cant change its all ways the same but when youre watching him move a roun and lissening to what hes saying and the torch fires shimmying and all hewl look pernear any way hes talking. This time he looks like hes getting his serkits jus that little bit over loadit."

--Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban.

This book so totally rocks.
                        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• OK, heres another one I found:

"Lionkit woke in his nest, A draft ruffled his golden pelt.
                          'Where's Jaykit?'
                          Jaykit usually slept beside him, but there was an empty space there now."

Warriors, Power of Three, #1, The Sight
                          Erin Hunter (who is actually Cherith Baldry, Kate Cary, Victoria Holmes, and India Holmes Coulson)

If you're confused, this book is about cats, and the two characters are brothers who are kittens at the moment. An OK author, but a little long winded. (She has three series' all on the same group of cats, in different generations.)
                          "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

• Here is the Book I just finished:

Feeling cheated, Alanna followed Gary to the next yard. Archery was a little better, but only a little. Because she already knew something about archery, she was permitted to actually string a bow and shoot it.

-Alanna: The First Adventure, by Tamora Pierce

And here is what I am reading at the moment:

"Why, why wasn't it destroyed?" cried Frodo. "And how did the enemy come to lose it, if he was so strong and it was so precious to him?" He clutched the Ring in his hand, as if he already saw dark fingers streaching out to seize it.

-The Fellowship of the Ring, BY J.R.R. Tolkien
                            Ars longa, vita brevis
                            (Art is long, life is brief) -- Seneca

Comment

• Dark Lord of Derkholm , by Diana Wynne Jones

Comment

• "Stupid, arrogant, selfish people. Dipping their toes in a country they despised in the name of entertainment"
                                -In her Good Name
                                Josi Kilpack
                                "Doctors help you to live, the Arts give you a reason to live."

Comment

Working...
                                X