Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave: yeah, I understood that.

Papercrane: if you told me what that meant, I'm sure I could connect words together. But as for now... dije probably means siad or say or something. respondi probably means respond or reply.
    T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
    Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
    Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
    Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
    My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
    Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
    Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Translation:
      But, Senor (there really isn't a translation for Senor. I wish this thing had tildes.) that answer is why I said 'You're so funny I forgot to laugh.' I was not responding (actually, I said 'I did not respond' but now it strikes me that it would have flowed better if I said 'I was not responding') to the word 'Spanish'

I am what I am
      I'm super fortified hundred proof girl with a band
      and I'm a velveteen rabbit made of steel with a plan...
      I'll save the planet change the world
      I'll make a one girl stand
      --Superchic[k], 'Real'
      My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
      OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
      --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

reir!! That's like rire! Which is french or latin, or possibly both, for to laugh! haha!

Yes, yes, OK, bear with me.
        T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Well, it makes a tiny bit of sense if you take into account that both French and Spanish are descended linguistically from Latin...and English comes in somewhere...but my brain isn't working right now. So this message is rather weird. Hey look, I'm a 'member' as opposed to a 'new member'! I just noticed that! Like I said, my brain's encountering technical difficulties.

I am what I am
          --Superchic[k], 'Real'
          OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
          --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Comment

That's the kind of thing I would love to be able to quote, but never will...*sigh* The first paragraph, anyway. I kinda got lost in the second. Oh well.

I am what I am
              --Superchic[k], 'Real'
              --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

papercrane: Oh, yeah, I know. That's why learning Latin gives you a jump on French (and I guess Italian) and French gives you a jump on Spanish.

Rysade: I confess, I do not understand your description of the chart. But the book sounds interesting.
                T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

It was the other way round for me--I started Spanish first, then Latin (tho I've forgotten most of it) and then French. But I'll prolly only keep taking Spanish. Es mi lingua favorita.

I am what I am
                  --Superchic[k], 'Real'
                  --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

*grins* Well, same difference.
                    T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

lol yeah. It's a Romance thing.

I am what I am
                      --Superchic[k], 'Real'
                      --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

'He was a picturesque person, but he wasn't dangerous, as far as I can make out.'
                        --Agatha Christie, via Superintendent Battle in 'Cards on the Table'

"That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am."
                        -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
                        --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

The opposite wall contained a clothes locker and a door apparently leading to the head. Above the bed was a mounted case containing a collection of dueling swords. The third wall contained a built-in bookshelf and a niche which held a small stylized image of a ferocious, fanged beast.
                          May not sound like much, but those are the quarters of the future ruler of the Klingon Empire.
                          Pawns and Symbols by Majliss Larson

And maybe almost as close to me, but in a different direction:

But apologies are easy, especially for sins not yet committed; let us get on with it. E-P, then 37 and in the Middle of the Journey, both in career and life, was posted, so the Major-General who introduces the Akobo piece to its military audience instructs us, to one of the least-known parts of what was then the frontier between Italian-occupied and British-held territories in East Africa, six hundred miles south of Khartoum, four hundred miles north of Lake Rudolf, five hundred west of Addis Ababa.
                          Well, that's only two sentences, but I think it's enough.
                          Works and Lives: The Anthropologist as Author by Clifford Geertz

A full-cast audio drama featuring the tale of two Jedi Knights investigating the assassination of a Trade Federation Viceroy in the days nine centuries before the Battle of Yavin.

Comment

The Fall of the House of Usher(By Edgar Allan Poe)--"For several days ensuing, her name was unmentioned by either Usher or myself; and during this period I was busied in earnest endeavors to alleviate the melancholy of my friend."
                            Ronan's my role model. He's cool, smart, and has a pen that can destroy whatever he wants it to. If only life were that easy.

Comment

Farenheight 451 by Ray Bradbury
                              "Mildred how would it be if I quit my job awhile?"
                              ---------------------------------------
                              YW Chat room link. http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/ Type in nickname and #youngwizards for channel.
                              "in remembrance of Peter Murray,5/16/06,dai stiho

Comment

Haha, this is a funny topic. XD

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince:
                                "Fortunately," said Dumbledore, "there is a simple test."
                                He placed his empty glass on a small table beside his chair, but before he could do anything else, Uncle Vernon shouted, "Will you get these ruddy things off us?"
                                *Big grin and a laugh* Not spoilery, but still a funny quote. XD Madam Rosemerta's oak-matured mead anyone? XDXD

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

Working...
                                X