Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?

Post the First few sentences on the 51st page of the book nearest to you. Please include the Title and Author of the book. THis is fun.

" But I might as well not have bothered with the spell," he said, looking at Nita. "It got caught. It's not working. You know anything about this?"
    -So You Want to be a Wizard, Diane Duane

I think these are fun (but why 51?) (unintentional rhyme).

"Even with the extra weight, the pavement remained firm under Dean's work boots.
    'That's a relief,' Diana noted as she set Sam down on the concrete pad outside the door and began scraping the felted layer of orange cat hair off her arms. 'If it's only affecting us, it hasn't spread as far as we thought.'

-Long Hot Summoning, by Tanya Huff (The Keeper's Chronicles #3)

"Is the glass half full or empty, I ask her as I fill it; she said it doesn't really matter, pretty soon you're bound to spill it" Indigo Girls
    "Is the glass half full or empty, I ask her as I fill it; she said it doesn't really matter, pretty soon you're bound to spill it" Indigo Girls

Comment

the book: Sword and Sorceress XII, edited by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Particular story: A Lynx and a *******, by Karen Luk.

"He swore as she laughed harder. 'I'm going to get back at you for all you did to me!'
      "'All I did to you was keep you safe,' shot back Marial. 'Think about it, Ralstone. I could have fed you to the cats, owls, let you get captured by a rat trap....'
      "'Fine, I see your point,' he grumbled. 'But a BATH!'
      "'If you insisted on sleeping on my pillow, you should have expected I would wash you,' smirked Marial."

Comment

HAHAHA!!! You asked for it! You see, this computer is in my dad's study, and he's a doctor. The nearest book is his. Here goes...
        "It is obvious that the percentage of patients expressing the marker is also of major importance. A significant association with a marker that is present on only a proportion of patients implies either that the disease is heterogeneous with only one form associated with a MHC determinant or, alternatively, the the MHC determinant identified is a clue to the presence of an allele of another locus with which the disease has a more complete and perhaps mechanistic relation..."
        That was from the Textbook of Rheumatology (second edition), and it was written by a whole bunch of doctors, I think. Can you understand it? I don't...

"Food for thought requires a mind with teeth" ~Vollys the dragon from "The Two Princesses of Bamarre"

Comment

Comment

LOL @ rysade.

"HUD BRACKET
            on the HUD, the AOA bracket looks like the letter E and moves up and down in relation to current aircraft AOA. On-speed AOA is indicated by the centerline on the AOA bracket."

the book is FA-18rescision strike fighter, which is the instruction manual for the flight simulator game belonging to my stepdads. confusing huh?

METEORA-'Lying away from you'

Comment

Oh, come on now, Gedanken, think. Ypu measure the length of the cabin before takeoff and get some value- say 300 feet. In other words, you lay your foot-ruler down end-to-end 300 times to get from the front of the cabin to the back, right?
              -The Time and Space of Uncle Albert
              Russell Stannard.

Good book.
              T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
              Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
              Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
              Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
              My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
              Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

I know I just replied to the other one with a quote from T.A.Barron's The Mirror of Merlin, but I set it down on the far end of the bookshelf and now the closest would be:
                "I am Tualha Slaith, a princess of the People," she said, rattling it all off in a hurry, "a bard and a scholar. And who are you?"
                "I'm Nita Callahan."
                "Nita?" said the kitten. "What kind of a name is that?"
                --Diane Duane, A Wizard Abroad...but you already knew that, I hope.

I am what I am
                I'm super fortified hundred proof girl with a band
                and I'm a velveteen rabbit made of steel with a plan...
                I'll save the planet change the world
                I'll make a one girl stand
                --Superchic[k], 'Real'
                My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
                OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Comment

Esta tan divertido, olvide reir.

I am what I am
                    --Superchic[k], 'Real'
                    OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                    --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Gah. Spanish. Par*** en francais, tout le monde, je peux le comprendre! (kinda, anyway... )

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

er...je parle un peu francais, mais je ne parle pas as much as spanish. I kinda ran out of vocabulary those last few words--I only took french for a year. Besides, me gusta espanol mas que frances.

I am what I am
                        --Superchic[k], 'Real'
                        --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Par***? ***? Oh, right, I get it, excusez moi s'il vous plait...
                          Oh well, I like French.
                          *shrugs* And my best Spanish is Hola! Though i am capable of translating easy passages (I know because an acquaintance takes Spanish and I was reading her stuff when I was bored in French.. I managed quite an accurate translation. Though I did know the syllabus.
                          T

Tuibird in Aotearoa

Comment

Comment

Pero, Senor, esa respuesta es por que yo dije--'Esta tan divertido, olvide reir.' No lo respondi a la palabra 'spanish.'

I am what I am
                              --Superchic[k], 'Real'
                              --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Working...
                              X