Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one is from Mythology, by Edith Hamilton;

"Demeter had an only daughter, Persephone (in Latin Proserpine), the maiden of the spring. She lost her and in her terrible grief she withheld her gifts from the earth, which truned into a frozen desert."

Kind of dull to begin with, but it gets better.
    Lover of Most Books...
    Finder of Lost Things...
    Eater of all Sweet Stuff...
    Wonder of the West...

Comment

Cassandra125:
      This one is from Mythology, by Edith Hamilton;

Haha, I just read that page in English class; we're doing the whole Greek mythology thing right now, and that book is one of our main resources...

" "Coram's been very talkative," she said dryly. The older man flushed. "Liam's been about these parts a bit, Miss. If he can advise us on the road to take, so much the better!" Alanna turned to Liam. "Well?" "

Lioness Rampant, by Tamora Pierce- one of my other favorite books...I'm re-reading it for the millionth time...

-seabiscuit, a.k.a. hungry

Comment

"...She`ll be along on her own in a little while."
        "But they`re holding her prisonor!" I insisted.
        "You think so?" Aahz grinned.
        -From Myth Directions, by Robert Asprin.
        "Accomplishing the impossible means only the boss will add it to your regular duties." - Anonymous
        Nita, Kit, pay attention to that one!

Comment

Okay, this is fun, I've done it before. Four books close to me (surprise surprise)Actually five... but one I just started and I haven't reached 51 yet... "Dies the Fire" really good so far, but I'm on like page 20... anyway:
          "Jennifer, clearly you could benefit from a rest before returning to active duty" -Jennifer Government
          "THE OCCUPATION- We did not have time like the German Jews did, from '33 until the war broke out in '39, for step-by-step adjustments." -Witnesses to the Holocaust
          "That was a disappointment" -The Faery Reel
          "Lena went into the kitchen to praise and investigate" -Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
          Oh, and I have a National Geographic here too.... : "A hunter becomes the hunted."
          I like the looks on the Librarians' faces when I check out stuff from the library... they seem to think that such diversity must be for pleasure and schoolwork. NO. All pleasure The schoolwork... yeah that's basically my science textbook with crap about Charle's Law and Boyle's law... blah blah blah... I like EARTH science, Physics is soooooooooo boring....
          *Agent~M*
          "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
          "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
          "I could live

Comment

haha. believe it if you will, the dictionary's sitting right here in my lap. (well, it's either that or the Half Blood Prince):

antidepressant: (adj)(1961)used or tending to relieve or prevent psychic depression

~and to the right-hand side,~

antimonial: (adj)(1605)of, relating to, or containing antimony--antimonial(n).
            eh...where would i be without my trusty dictionary.
            ~the unreality of reality~

Comment

This fourum's fun, and I actually have two books of equal distance to me.

First book is The Voyage of the Dawn Treader-
              "You have lived on broken hearts all you life," said Caspian, "and if you are beggared, it is better to be a begger than a slave..."
              Second is Star Wars: Traitor-
              Then the blur in her hand resolved into that wicked hook of Bone. The Force, he thought, panic surging his heart. She Force blurred it-she's been carrying it all along!"This is your new home," she said, and sttabbed him in the chest.

Comment

It's been a while...
                Page 51 is an illustration titled "Hearts of Oak"; the facing page begins: "Jack Aubrey is the complete seaman and also the complete naval man. As such, the very essence of his being is to be found in the sea and the ships (notably the warships) that sail on it."

Paging Sreeee... paging Sreeee...
                "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

*shudders* From the book I'm supposed to be studying...:

Chapter

Energy, Life, and the Biosphere

:P Chapter pages are boring.
                  Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Just putting in my two cents
                    Searching... searching....

Ah, here we are...

lemon. They just hang around beggimg. And now this terrible business about the mines and the holes in the road.'

Doesn't make much sense does it?? Oh well....

Comment

He was almost close enough to grab it... WHANNNNNNNNG! A burst of noise exploded out of the Kohrok-Kal just as Lewa reached it,knocking him to the ground as solidly as any physical strike might do.-Makuta`s Revenge, by C.A. Hapka.

Even with the glow cast by his fire sword, the darkness seemed to huddle around him, suffocating in its closeness. Taking a deep breath, he forced himself to move on.-Tale of the Toa, by C.A. Hapka.

Nita peered at it as it followed Dairine back into the living room. "Am I confused," she said, "or is that thing getting smaller?"-The Wizard`s Dilemma, by Diane Duane.

This is long enough, I think. *goes off to the chat room*
                      "Accomplishing the impossible means only the boss will add it to your regular duties." - Anonymous

Comment

the sentece begins on page 50 so i'll start at that sentence.

"Arkarian produces a rake and uses it to wade through the rubble. I have to be careful to skim the surface only. That's all I need to 'see' below it, anyway." - Rochelle
                        BOOK-The Key
                        AUTHOR- Marianne Curley
                        "Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance!" I would rather be hated for who i am than be loved for who i pretend to be!
                        "People...stop being mean to each other.
                        Especially for the sake of laughs. IT SPEEDS UP ENTROPY." -Diane Duane in chat.
                        "T

Comment

Okay, page 51 is a pic, so I`ll give you some of what`s on p. 50.

'BIRDS OF PREY

Falcons are streamlined birds of prey with long pointed wings and longish tails. There are 52 species in the world; we have 6, plus 2 accidentals from the Old World.'- Birds, by Roger Tory Pterson.

Comment

Well, I'm in my room right now, and there are no books on my desk so I went to my bookcase, which is very close to my desk. I closed my eyes and randomly picked one and here's the one I got.

"Sign of the Spook"

"Show a lump of sugar and a pencil. Write the letter "S" on the sugar."

-Spooky Tricks By Rose Wyler

Comment

Suddenly, activity, voices. "Get him back on the bed!" Strident, unrecognizable. A softer tone: "It's started."

Wraeththu - The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit by Storm Constantine

Comment

The day that had seemed mild earlier seemed chilly now, as the spring breeze whistled down the street and rustled the maple leaves. "Well," Kit said, "even if our parents don't completely get what's happening, it's not like they can stop us." "I know," Nita said.

-Wizards at War, by *cheer* Diane Duane
                                Dai stiho, cousins.

Comment

Working...
                                X