Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In his years as a snooper, Caxton had learned that secrets could often be cracked by going to the top and there making himself extremely unpleasant. He understood that twisting the tiger's tail was dangerous...
    From "Stranger in a Strange Land", a very strange (how surprising ) book that I'm having to read for school.
    "I am Tualha Slaith, a princess of the People," she said, rattling it all off in a hurry, "a bard and a scholar. And who are you?"
    From "A Wizard Abroad", which just happens to be sitting next to the computer Who'd have thought? And "stranger in a strange land" has been sitting in my lap as I websurf, that way it feels like I'm almost doing schoolwork
    "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
    Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

"...size of a large paperback book, spidered into the kitchen on multiple spindly legs. Nita peered at it as it followed Dairine back into the living room.

'Am I confused,' she said, 'or is that thing getting smaller?'

'You're always confused,' said Dairine as she headed for her room, 'but yeah, he's smaller. Just had an upgrade.'"

Obviously Young Wizards, but which one?

It is in fact, WD which I am re-reading.
      Look closely at your next subway token... and talk to strangers...
      Darth Vader, look out. Here I come.
      iPsych- The Website for the Only Psych Podcast

Comment

"The Death Knight is a melee unit that can attack other land targets. He can learn the following ablites..."

That is the first sentence on Pg.51 in the "Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos" game manual.
        Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
        Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

Page 51-2 proper has pictures on it, but page 53, the next texted page, says:
          "Dear Larry -- went to NY Times and bearded them for a review, got interviewed by Harvey Breit, and will, I think, get HOWL reviewed there. Few stores carry City Lights, generally unobtainable unless you know where, but one review in Times or Tribune or Saturday Review could break the ice maybe. As ever, Allen

From HOWL on trial; the battle for free expression
          "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
          "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

"...might be from his photograph and his dog, and he was. An intelligent, sensitive face with wide gray eyes, a high and slightly bumpy forehead and unruly, leaf-brown hair. She liked the lines etched into his face to give it maturity and strength, the courtesy with which he spoke."

--A Countess Below Stairs by Eva Ibbotson

A very good book might I add.
            Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
            Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
            It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
            Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Whee I love getting new books:

"The party was noisy, red, loud and laughing, and despite himself, Mark enjoyed it."

-Excerpt from "Life Goes to A Party" by Michael Crichton, from the collection First Words edited by Paul Mandelbaum
              ---
              Interesting (adj.) - Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?

Comment

"Anoyher passage! Do you know what I've already done? Do you know that it took me four years to make my tools? Do you know that for two years I scratched and scraped earth as hard as granite? do you know that i had to dislodge stones which i would never had thought myself capable of moving?" The preist, Faria, The Count of Monte Cristo. I love this book.
                -"Though speach be unlearn'd, The wisdom be earn'd,"
                Cairpre, the bard, The Lost Years of Merlin book 3
                http://inheritanceseries.freeforums....ce41240a2f1add

Comment

First off let me start by saying I loved "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "The lost years of Merlin".

"WHERE THE DEVIL IS EVERYONE?" GILAN BROUGHT BLAZE to a halt and looked around the deserted border post. There was a small guardhouse by the side of the road , barely large enough to keep two or three men sheltered from the wind."

Pg.51 Of "Burning Bridge" the second book in the "Ranger's Apprentice" series.

Comment

as they had ended the parade, the elephatnsts also ended the show. i calpped as hard as anybody as all twenety pachyderms exited on their hind legs, each, except for the leader, with it's huge feet on the back of the elephant in front. freaks. bu annete curtis klause
                    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• LOOK FOR VALUABLE COUPONS IN THE GREEN SECTION_____Bail-Bank
                      Yes, the book nearest me is a phone book Ah, here's another book, well, hymnal actually...
                      "I was there to hear your borning cry - I'll be there when you are old - I rejoiced the day you were baptized - to see your life unfold" 2051 in The Faith We Sing (with a music director daddy, what other book would be next to the comp? )
                      "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
                      Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

• Ungen havde grædt for nylig, men var heldigvis holdt up nu. To rødrandede øjne stirride tomt op på ham. Mr Underwood rømmede sig.
                        I can create a world, out of letters and words. I can make you believe something in a paragraph. I can make you love someone in a page. I can make you go places that don't exist in a book. That's all the magic I need. [url]http://melpomene.freeforums

Comment

• "I'm a what?" Gasped Harry
                          "A wizard o' course," said Hagrid, sitting back down on the sofa, which groaned and sank even lower, "an' a thumpin' good' un, I'd say, once yeh've been trained up a bit. With a mum an' dad like yours, what else would yeh be? An' I reckon it's abou' time yeh read yer letter." Pg.51 of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"

My little brothers wanted to play the game. I let my brothers pick a couple of smilies. They finished the Harry Potter book and now they're excited.

Comment

• i don't know whethre the never ending soitry, or stardust is closer to me at the moment...*picks the one on top*

III
                            Morala Athe Aged One

yep. that's all there is...be glad it wasn't the empty page before it. :P
                            I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                            For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• "It was all right, then; the program had been instructed to supply a value of its own if the user didn't specify one. Dairine let out a breath and resolved to have a look at this thing's manual. Maybe the company had made changes in the software."

-High Wizardry, by none other than the famed Diane Duane!
                              "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Haven't actually got to this part yet because I haven't been assigned this chapter but here it is...

...pap come over to de town en say you's killed. Dese las' skifts wuz full o' ladies en genlmen a-goin' over for to see de place. Sometimes dey'd pull up at de sho' en takes a res' b'fo' day started acrost, so by de talk I got to know all 'bout the killin'. I 'uz powerful sorry you's killed, Huck, but I ain't no mo' now...
                                Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Yes, that is exactly how it was written...

Yay for English 11!!
                                Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                                Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                                It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                                Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

Working...
                                X