Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dai Stihó, cousin! - Introduce yourself here!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Town - I have NEVER seen you around, or post, at ALL!

Whoa, Jen.... That avatar's a little big. On this site, avatars can be 100 x 100 at most. If you're having difficulties getting it smaller, you can send a moderator a private message and I'm sure they'll be glad to sort it out for you.

Anyhow, now that that's sorted out, welcome! *Passes out a fresh supply of cookies, brownies, Cranberry/Raspberry juice (a personal favorite of mine ), etc. for everyone to enjoy*

Usually, I get my welcome letter sent to a newbie BEFORE they start posting. You beat me!
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Thanks for the advice. I have a quick question though. I found this really nice pic online for my avatar, but how do you put pix from your computer on for the avatar? Can you?
      Jen (aka VampireInuFreak)

"Reading one book is like eating one potato chip." (Mrs. Lesser) (So You Want To Be A Wizard)

Comment

• You can upload the picture to one of the file-sharing sites, such as Flickr, and link to it there. Let me know if you need help with the details. :-)
        ----
        Originally posted by EricG1793:
        Small Town - I have NEVER seen you around, or post, at ALL!
        Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, Eric.

Consolidated double post by mod - gf
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• I'm new and I'd like to ask how to make an icon to put next to my name. I'm also wondering what the "Goodbye" greeting is. In the books, DD sometimes abbreviates Dai stiho! to Dai! Is it like Dai stiho is hello and Dai is hi? or can Dai mean goodbye too? sorry if I asked too many questions.*blush*

Dai!.....I think
          ----
          Sorry to post twice in a row, but I have one more question. Am I still considered a newbie if I have read some of the posts before I became a member and read all the books in the series except for the one that I'm waiting to read until it's in stores? I have to say also that my favorite character, besides Nita and Kit (so far) is Roshaun. My friend who I am recommending the books to wants to know how to pronounce Ronan. Sorry, that was 2 questions.

Edit to combine posts - gf

Comment

• Eric - *clears throat* "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

---

Gwendi - Dai stihó, translated loosely, means 'Go well', and is interchangeable as greeting and farewell.

Ronan is pronounced (as far as I know) Row-nen.

And as for newbie-ness, I wouldn't worry about labels.
            Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
            Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean L.:
              And as for newbie-ness, I wouldn't worry about labels.
              As far as most here are concerned, you're only a newbie if you act like a newbie. Otherwise, you're a fan, like the rest of us. :-)

As far as "making an icon" goes, that's a pretty general question. I could tell you to download Paint .NET or The GIMP, but that wouldn't get you a pretty picture. :-) What do you have in mind?
              "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Originally posted by EricG1793:
                Small Town - I have NEVER seen you around, or post, at ALL!
                Yeah I haven't been on in forever. I have been a member since '04 or '05 though I don't remember.
                The Answer to life the universe and everything: CREW 42!!!!!!!!
                DON'T PANIC!!!!! *two seconds later once the plan does not work* OK PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                I have a spelling problem. SYWTBAW

Comment

• Luna's actually ON? *Gasps* ANd i certainly hope you have a dark corner with your name on it, considering how many i've given you! :P

NIce to meet you, by the way. *hands you your straight jacket, and other neccessities* We're a weird mix of inane people, but i hope you enjoy the place anyways. (Particularly since you should be insane yourself by now)
                  I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                  For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• This forum has changed for me. It used to be a major portion of my life, a site that I would check and be on daily, though always more for the people...and less for the books.

Lately, I am drawn away more and more, with days or even weeks before I check back. And checking back, my engagement is limited to occasionally glancing at the new posts, sometimes commenting to ToGR. For the most part though, the reason I was here is lessened, if not completely gone. I was part of another generation, one that has mostly moved on, and let me tell you: it's the people.

But as all things change, the forum lives on evermore, with fresh faces to replace those that are gone. To you, newbies, I say that this is a wonderful place. Cherish it, learn from it, give to it. Share and grow.

To the oldbies: I have not been the most patient or most kind. I have committed my fair share of errors, my measure of mistakes. But that does not stop me from still holding true to my words. If I were given the opportunity to write it again, I would, though I find myself perhaps a touch less naive now. But the overall message - the spirit - remains. I regret the mistakes I have made. I do not regret the time that I have spent here.

And as always...dai stihó; go well, to whatever paths that take you. I have AIM, frequent the IRC channel...and when aWoM comes out, I'll probably be back with a passion, talking up a storm. Who knows when our paths might cross again?

But even if they don't, no worries. There's always Timeheart. Rest in peace, Peter.
                    Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
                    Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

• Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

In the room the women come and go,
                      Talking of Michelangelo...

And would it have been worth it, after all,
                      Would it have been worthwhile,
                      After the sunsets and dooryards and sprinkled streets,
                      After the novels, after the teacups, after the skirts that trail along the floor--
                      And this, and so much more?--
                      It is impossible to say just what I mean!
                      But as if a magic lantern threw the nerves in patterns on a screen:
                      Would it have been worthwhile
                      If one, settling a pillow or throwing off a shawl,
                      And turning towards the window, should say:
                      "That is not it, at all,
                      That is not what I meant, at all."

No! I am not Prince Hamlet, nor was meant to be;
                      Am an attendant lord, one that will do
                      To swell a progress, start a scene or two,
                      Advise the prince; no doubt, an easy tool,
                      Deferential, glad to be of use,
                      Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
                      Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
                      At times, indeed, almost ridiculous,
                      Almost, at times, the Fool.

I grow old... I grow old...
                      I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
                      I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
                      I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

-- "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock", T.S. Eliot (more info)
                      Sorry. Be well, do good work. Come back and visit when you can, the door is always open.

[edited to clarify attribution of the quote]
                      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Wow, I really like that poem Kathy.. It's like wicked deep.

Sean, even though we don't really know each other, I hope you come on as much as you can. I like having the "oldbie's" on here it makes it so much more... I don't know, interesting. It makes it interesting to see what you guys went through being on this site before I came on. I read your thread and I have to say that it almost made me wish I would have seen this site on the back of my book sooner than now. But being on this forum for the short amount of time I have been has changed me in little ways. I didn't know there was a thread like that, so thanks putting it up. It was nice to see how you guys all changed.

Dai stiho!
                        Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                        Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                        It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                        Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• Originally posted by Emi:
                          I read your thread and I have to say that it almost made me wish I would have seen this site on the back of my book sooner than now.
                          Emi, I agree with you on that. I read all of the YW books through W@W and didn't notice the website on the books until I was looking to see if there were any more in the series. I am glad that there is going to be another. I believe it's called A Wizard of Mars. Unfortunately, I got the books from the library and had to write the website down on a piece of paper. I wish I own the books, but since I can't read them all over and over until I remember every single part, I went on the website.

I don't even know when the books were published because I just started reading them December, 2008. I read fast, yes, but I read faster the better the book is, so as you can tell, finishing all 8 in less than 3 months means that they are <STRIKE>really good</STRIKE> by my standards. No, wait, they are awesome! I don't know any words in the speech to exclaim my enthusiasm at this point, but if I did, I highly doubt that there would be any words strong enough, even in the speech.

Does anyone happen to know what font DD uses for the italics? It's been bugging me that I can't figure it out. She has good taste BTW.

Comment

• Hi, Gwendi! And A Wizard of Mars is the title of the next book, and DD has said in the chats that she's got plots for at least three more, although no titles yet.

As for the font, I think the publisher chooses it, not DD. She just chooses what gets italicized.

SYWTBAW was first published in 1983. DW in 1985. HW in 1990. AWA in 1993. Then, there was a gap until Harry Potter made some publishers think that publishing all the YA fantasy they could get their hands on was a good thing, and W'sD came out in 2001, WA in 2002, W'sH in 2003, and WAW in 2005.

Then a switchover of editors has caused a delay in AWoM. The manuscript's been finished and at the editor's for, what, over a year, now? And we're getting impatient.

You may want to check out the Books FAQ to get a hint of some of the other books DD's written, to help fill the wait. I'd recommend the STAR TREK books.
                            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Originally posted by kli6:
                              The manuscript's been finished and at the editor's for, what, over a year, now? And we're getting impatient.
                              HeeheeheeHEEhee! So someone FINALLY outrightly says it!
                              Thanks much, Kathy, that was my laugh of the day!

Anyhow.... I know that most of you new people have gotten my welcome letter (I have stopped for the time being to restructure it) already, so you know me, but for those of you who don't, dai! It's great to have you here, and I know that we all look forward to seeing each other in chat when it's open!
                              "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• I hope to see you again here, Sean. You've been here almost as long as i have (So long that the almost part shocks me almost as much as your leaving) and while at times we've clashed...I'm happy to know you, and talk to you, so I hope to still see you.

And while i'm here: Hey newbies i haven't talked to. *Passes you the now traditional cookies, milk, and straight jacket, and hopes to see you around the forum*
                                I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                                For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

Working...
                                X