The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alive again, thanks to forum move

so hello all, I've not been around in forever, and I actually forgot my info for this account so I couldn't get into it at all until I got the message about the new forum. So here I am again, the one, the only, original BP. lol, so most of you don't know me and I don't know most of you, but I was around for a couple of years, then I had some... interesting times, so I took a break from here and most other things I used to do on the great wild interwebs, but seeing as I happen to have some more free time now, being in college and all, and free internet, plus my account back, I expect I'll be around more now, so say hi.

Especially anyone who happens to remember me, alright, talk to y'all later,
    "Absurdity is the spice of life, the little things that always make the one being absurd laugh, and no one else"-me, being serious
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set him alight and he's warm for the rest of his life ~ Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Comment

• No power. It's freezing cold, and we have no power! Why must we be punished?

Friday I had no school... woke up to no power, and had to sit through a cold house. I ended up going to my Uncle's house who's like five minutes away from us and had power, to take a shower. And that's where I am now. Yup, we still don't have power at my house. It kind of stinks. It is said that we won't have power for several days, so I don't know if school is going to be open on Monday or not.

We were supposed to take a test on Hamlet on Friday too. I had all the information on Hamlet locked in my brain for Friday and we had no school. Hopefully I'll remember some info on Monday... or Tuesday.

New Hampshire is in a "state of emergency" right now. We have a shelter at our elementary school. It's kind of weird because everybody is in like a state of panic. Rushing to get gas in their cars and bins (after the storm mind you) and getting gallons of waters at the grocery store (I work at one). Why no one bought anything like that before the storm, I don't know. I guess we really didn't think it'd get that bad.

Hm.

I'll report back later about how I'm doing.

Dai,

Emi
      Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
      Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
      It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
      Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• Lol

I don't know about everyone else, but after reading the messages before this one, I got four Google ads for water damage repair. :-)

I'm in central Maine, and we didn't get hit nearly as bad as people north and south of us. I'm not sure why... yes, we got the snow, freezing rain, and ice, but it didn't build up much, and we had temperatures in the 50s later that day. Go figure.
        "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Um, what? I read the first and last post in this thread.

So I'm in Raining, and it's LA outside. And I have to go and get coffee.

This is my first post ever.

Comment

• Update!

Ah, my power's back. Thank you Public Service workers from Maryland, Ohio, and Canada!!! Haha. My house is still a little cold, but it's warmer. Thank goodness. I think everyone in my family is happy that we're back in our own home.

I'm still not sure about the school situation tomorrow. I don't know if everyone in town got their power back or not. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Garrett: Hahaha, got any water damage? I can't believe you actually got snow. We got ICE. I'd rather have snow than ice.

Bookwyrm Poet: Welcome back! You don't know me probably... but glad to see you back.

Zee: Welcome to The Topic of Great Randomness and to the forums for that matter... (I'll probably welcome you in the Newbie thread too).

I'm becoming a big tea drinker now. I love, love, love jasmine green tea. I'm in love with it. Haha. I first tried it in my Contemporary Asia class, and it's the only tea I'll drink now. But I do still like to have some in the morning, too. Only on hot days (iced coffee).

Well I just wanted to report that I have power now. And it's warmer outside... go figure?
            Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
            It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.

Comment

• Welcome Zee: and what a good place to post your first post Welcome to the Topic of Great Randomness, and to the new YW forums. I hope you enjoy your stay.

All you guys are talking about ice. I wish it was that cold here. I've been spending days out on an exploration drill rig on a coal mine, logging core for my honours project. Its kinda fun; I have a collection of core pieces that are either going to be useful for my project, or are just simply cool . I'm trying to work out the depositional environments for major Middle Jurassic coal measures in SE Queensland. Its interesting, and I get to play with some cool sedimentary features.

Speaking of the weather, though, it seems like the drought that SE Queensland has been suffering for the past 7 or so years has finally begun to break; and began in spectacular fashion. We had a huuuge sub tropical storm form from the merging of two storm cells over one suburb. They reckon that there was more damage done ($$ wise) than from a Category 4 Tropical cyclone that hit northern Queensland a couple of years back.

So are all you northern-hemispherians enjoying your winter while I'm stuck in sub-tropical southern summer?

Comment

• Originally posted by alla View Post
                So are all you northern-hemispherians enjoying your winter while I'm stuck in sub-tropical southern summer?
                Unfortunately, alla, most of the responses that come to mind would get me moderated at best. :-) I think sticking with a simple "not particularly" will be safest....
                "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Originally posted by alla View Post
                  Ick. No. I live in Missouri, and we've just got our first bit of winter. It's not nearly as bad as anyone else's, but school was canceled today because of ice, which means that we'll have to go to school next week. I want my Christmas break back, please and thank you.

I'm very glad people are starting to get power back!

Comment

• We're really not having Winter here. Just some weather that's around 40 degrees in the daytime and a ton of rain.

I love the snow, absolutely love it, but if all the rain we had last Thursday night/Friday morning were a massive amount of snow, my opinion might be changed.
                    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• You know it's weird when Houston Texas gets snow... That's why I moved from my previous state, so I could get away from the cold... It makes being sick just that much worse...
                      There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                      "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

• Weather... and more Randomness

Alla... no I do not like this weather at all. Haha. But that's what you get when you live in New England.

It snowed last night. And I just cleaned off my car because I'm supposed to be hanging with my friend who just got back from college later tonight. I don't have school for the rest of the week and I'm not scheduled for work until Saturday and Sunday. Yippee.

Garrett!!! I love your signature. The Catherine Tate and David Tennant skit was absolutely hilarious! My favorite sketch.

Stormwind: I hope you get better soon!

So, I was supposed to sing the National Anthem last Friday and this Friday and we had no school last Friday and no school this Friday... I think I'm cursed?

I was supposed to get a letter from the Young Americans today... and we got no mail today. NONE. I'm really beginning to think I'm being cursed right now. So not cool.

Other than that... I'm just soaking in the time away from school before I have to go back on Monday for two days.

Comment

• Hehe, I started a discussion of the weather. I spent the day outside today. 34degC temperatures, and no shade in sight, except for the ute that we took out to the drill site. I've finally finished logging the core though. Was interesting. I saw some sedimentary features that I've only really heard talked about and seen in text books (Some of them ad nauseum).

I still haven't done my Christmas shopping. I went to try and do it tonight, but there were just too many people in the shops. It took me about 20mins to find a park! I'm going to go shopping in town tomorrow; more varied shops and (hopefully) less people.

I have caved. I've read Twilight now. I enjoyed the book more than the movie (surprise, surprise). I can't wait for my housemate to get back with the next one.

I'm so tired. I don't think I was made for 12 hour shifts.

Comment

• bad day

To start off with, my day was okay...i woke up and got ready for school. Then, as I left my house and went to school, some idiot (using this as a noun) that I hate decides to ruin my day. I sat in my seat on the bus, and we had an awesome substitute bus driver for school, and I was happy. YAY! Not for long. Then the person I hate, as mentioned above, moons everyone and then pulls his pants halfway up and sits in my seat, next to me. Needless to say, I didn't like that and gave him the death glare...If only a death glare could actually kill someone. Everyone on my bus said something like, "Did you see her face?" so...yeah. I am really mad, and people kept annoying me all day, and I felt like I was going over the deep end. So yeah, I just needed to write this to take out all my anger and now I'm going to play WOW. (World of Warcraft) Hopefully I'll relax a bit...

Comment

• Emi: I hope you get your Young Americans letter soon...and preferably un-ripped-in-half. My mom and I got a Christmas card in July once. It was ripped in half and put in a little plastic bag with the USPS's apologies for losing it...I wasn't sure what to think about that.

alla: Don't stress too much about Christmas shopping--or at least, take comfort from the fact that there's always someone further behind than you. I.e., me.

Gwendi: *hugs* You play WoW? I had no idea...RPGs have never really appealed to me.

I'm going through the process of applying to Missouri Scholar's Academy. 'Tis a long and lonely road...and gives me a third essay to write. Fortunately, unlike the rest of my essays, the MSA application isn't due until February.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emi View Post

Stormwind: I hope you get better soon!

I was supposed to get a letter from the Young Americans today... and we got no mail today. NONE. I'm really beginning to think I'm being cursed right now. So not cool.
                                Thanks Emi! And good luck I hope your letter shows up soon.

Gwendi: *HUGS* Some people never grow up, but they always get what's coming to them in the end... hang in there. I have a friend who plays WOW - I play Morrowind offline, and Legend of the Green Dragon online....

eowyngirl: Good Luck!
                                There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                                "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

Working...
                                X