No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umm...I said 'Diego puede hablar espanol mas bien que todos de nosotros.' It translates to 'Diego can speak Spanish better than all of us.' 'Hablar' is the infinitive--'to speak.' 'Poder' is 'to be able to' and is usually translated to 'can.' It's conjugated 'puede' for el, ella, or usted, and is always followed by an infititive in all tenses. Therefore, if I wanted to say 'I can study,' I would write 'Puedo estudiar.' I would not write 'Puedo estudio.' Because that makes no grammatical sense.
    Btw, what were you trying to say? To me, that reads 'Like/how the soup. I wish the egg and the tocineta! (implied 'you,' informal) Suffer/are suffering! (implied 'you,' informal) Suffer/are suffering!'

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.
    -- (Terry Pratchett, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents)
    My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
    OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
    --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• *Agent~M*
      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
      "I could live

Comment

• Uh woopsie. Yeah, I'm not all that great at spanish.

I can't kick my brother! He left for school... No, wait, that's not right. I leave for school before he does. I am being bran dead!

To the White Forest!

-MaThFrEaK
        "Hehehe. You smell funny."
        "I love fish and chicken and turkey and ham and squirrels and pork and..."
        "Izza mousey!"
        ~Gryphon~
        Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Actually, poder+infinitive works rather like gerunds in English...whatever verbs are used as nouns (I like singing) are always infinitives (me gusta cantar, as opposed to me gusta cantando or me gusta canto). Spanish does use infinitives quite a bit more than English, so it's a common error to conjugate something that should be left alone.

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.
          OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
          --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• *Agent~M*
            "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
            "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
            "I could live

Comment

• Aww M! I hope you feel better tomorrow. It stinks to be sick.

Unless, of course, you miss an awful math test.

I got a 100 on my Spanish test! 40/40 Heh. I'm handicapped at Spanish...

-MaThFrEaK
              "Izza mousey!"
              ~Gryphon~
              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Skitty: What level of Spanish do you do?

Meh...Spanish is my worst subject, barring history. Tis very depressing.

--Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• I don't learn Spanish in school, I have a tutour. He's from Mexico, he doesn't teach us by levels or anything. We go out to eat or go to the mall or sometimes stay at his house and only speak Spanish. So we learn by doing stuffrather than staying in a classroom.

The monkey made me do it!
                  ~Z~
                  penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• I'm all right at Spanish, but Celtic...qeyruia? That's what it feels like! Glargn. And Welsh! Fliwrol ganoloesol nuria niaeth gawr. WHAT? Something about a historic Castle on my brochure...???
                    Poor M...in the hallway? Couldn't you have run to the WC? Or was it a cookie toss?

brokencello
                    the crinkled paper bag
                    "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." "But why is the rum gone?" --both from Captain Jack Sparrow, "Pirates"
                    brokencello
                    the crinkled paper bag
                    "Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." "But why is the rum gone?" --both from Captain Jack Sparrow, "Pirates"

Comment

• Z: Ah, an immersion thingy...but surely you couldn't have just known Spanish out of the blue? What tenses do you know? (my favorite level indicator)

--Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• Heh. Lesse, last year I took a marking period of Spanish. This year it's all year long. I think Spanish 1. Heh. I'm not all that great. Oughta stick to English...

-MaThFrEaK
                        "Izza mousey!"
                        ~Gryphon~

Comment

• You know, my parents keep on talking about making me learn Chinese through immersion method by shipping me off to China over the summer to be a tutor to someone (naturally, I just MUST be doing something productive, no?)...

I am Lionfish. HEAR ME ROA-- ....um, bubble. Blub, blub. *sweatdrop*

If you can't spell my name, go ahead and call me semi or S-chan. I don't mind, really.

Comment

• I want to learn jappensse (sp). All I know is French, but everybody specks spanish.

Lissa
                            "We pray for our sorrows to end,
                            and hope that our hearts will blend.
                            Now I will step forward to realize this wish.
                            And who knows:
                            starting a new journey may not be so hard
                            or maybe it has already begun.
                            There are many worlds,
                            but they

Comment

• You're not the only one, semiramis!!! My parents tried to do that twice to me through "family vacations."

You're of chinese background? ^^

WEll, all they succeeded in doing was making me rather not happy... ^^ Very unhappy, actually... Its their disappointment... Everyone else in the (extended) family speaks Mandarin, they want me to be like them... But I probably won't... watching so much anime makes me able to swear aptly in japanese though!

then again, everyone else in family follows tradition. I refuse to conform to their ideas of what a girl SHOULD be like.

Kitsune Rei ~kisses taste nice~

Comment

• My folks never really thought to teach me Chinese...prolly because my mom speaks a very localized dialect and my dad speaks Cantonese...
                                Oh, random tidbit--when some people in our neighborhood moved in, they came over to meet us/whathaveyou because we're Asian and really look it, but lost interest when they found out we don't speak Mandarin. All in all, very amusing.
                                Another random tidbit--my friend, who's really really into anime, can swear fluently in Japanese but is generally unsure of what the words mean.
                                I am in a random mood tonight.
                                Then again, aren't I always?
                                Things to ponder.
                                Or not.

--Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

Working...
                                X