No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heh. I have a friend who swears in Japanese a lot... but she can swear VERY fluently in English, with (I think) little tidbits of German, French, and some other random languages, too, because both of her parents are multilingual....

Wow, ppc and Aurora are of Chinese descent, too? Huh. My mother speaks STANDARD standard Mandarin (i.e., Shian-ish dialect), and my father's family speaks the Wuhan subdialect... which means whenever I visit them, they sound to me like they're speaking Chinese in (bizarrely) a very thick Irish brogue with a few other odd things thrown in (e.g., instead of "du shu" for read books/study, they say something that sounds just like "dao shuo," with lingual tones that make it sound vaguely like they're saying the phrase "topple speak") and are impossible to understand T.T... well, no, not impossible. I understand about 10%, compared to my usual 80%, but oh well. But it's irritating my mother slightly now, that, because half of my Asian friends at school are Taiwanese, I'm starting to pick up their dialect... and she says it sounds like I'm saying "scold" or "horse" every time I say "Ma" for mother ^.^

I wanted to take Japanese, too, but my parents say it's useless... although I get the distinct impression that that opinion is somewhat influenced by the typical "us vs. the Japanese" attitude many Chinese, Taiwanese, and Koreans I know seem to have.

Although, something odd... has anyone else noticed that most of the Asian countries that have been politically powerful at some point or another have a big, blood-of-my-children-on-the-threshold-type quarrel with almost all of the others?

I am Lionfish. HEAR ME ROA-- ....um, bubble. Blub, blub. *sweatdrop*

If you can't spell my name, go ahead and call me semi or S-chan. I don't mind, really.

Comment

• That's interesting: is ther a huge difference between Tawainese and Chinese Mandarin? I have a friend who's Taiwanese, but the other Mandarin-speaking students at my school are Chinese, and they seem to talk fine- at least, I know they talk in Mandarin a lot. I suppose that, since my practical knowledge of Chinese starts and ends at nihao, I wouldn't really be able to tell...

You know, I personally would LOVE to leanr another language through immersion. Don't think of it as "learning some language and conforming to tradition," think of it as "learning another language! being able to communicate in the language that's spoken by the most people in the world! Many people can't speak mreo languages than their own, including me! Wow! What An Opportunity!"

Er, okay, maybe not. But you get the picture.

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
      --Agent M
      Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
      Still the Typo Queen
      Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• *Agent~M*
        "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
        "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
        "I could live

Comment

• Wow! What An Opportunity!
          Lol. Tui, you make me laugh.

And I must confess that although both my parents came from Southeast Asia I have had a remarkably un-Chinese life, so to speak; all I can say is my name and the numbers 1-99. And we don't really celebrate traditional Chinese holidays or anything. I don't even like Chinese food, mostly. So...I'm not the best person to represent the American-Chinese population. Yeah.
          Moving on...
          random tangent re immersion: I wish I could go to a Spanish-speaking country--that would be so very awesome. *sighs wistfully*

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.
          -- (Terry Pratchett, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents)
          My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
          OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
          --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• By all accounts, Chinese is horrivbly dialectal. I hit a similar problem with Welsh - I learnt 'standard' (valleys) Welsh, and had a fair bit of difficulty understanding the accent up in the hills. They go in for long vowel sounds a lot more. (Vowels in Welsh can either be short or long. Short is the default way of saying them).
            The biggest difference between French (which I did at school) and Welsh is that verbs are *so* much easier in Welsh. You only ever use the infinitive with the relevent bit of "to be".
            On the other hand, unlike English or French, the nouns in Welsh mutate (in the posseive case) according to the person. It's simple enough - it's just the leading conastanant, and the mutations are the same for all nouns begining with that letter.

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation
            "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

• Hahaha, I'm in PPC's boat... I'm of Chinese descent, yes, but like her... I know hello, Sorry, Thank you, and the numbers to ten or more (never bother counting!), that's it...

If there were less pressure on me to learn it, I'd be remotely interested. As it is, I frankly don't care either way... Je menfies! Ah, however you spell that...

Chinese traditions... heh... Honestly, some I like and others I don't. The traditional gender role, for instance... *makes face* Sure, I can't cook without supervision... but A-kun can cook and very well at that!!!

Kitsune Rei ~kisses taste nice~

Comment

• ?? but, technically, if you know numbers 1-10, you should know 1-99, because past ten, it's just like "ten-one (11), ten-two(12), ten-three(13).... two-tens-one(21), two-tens-two(22)...."
                (I LOVE Asian-style counting systems... I'm currently taking French, and some of the numbers don't make any sense whatsoever... ninety-six as "four-twenties and sixteen????" AARRRGHHH! SOMEONE STRANGLE THE GUY WHO THOUGHT OF THAT!!!)

Tui: yes, Taiwanese and Chinese Mandarin are almost the same... the difference is basically the same as that between British English and American English, or suchlike. My mother just gets annoyed because some things are just different enough that they sound a lot like other words... (like how a British-English speaker saying "say" would sound almost-not-really like they're saying "sigh" to an American, and would be interpreted thusly by someone who only knows American English... for an example, my parents, who, dspite speaking English for seventeen-plus years, still can't understand what British people are saying half the time).

I am Lionfish. HEAR ME ROA-- ....um, bubble. Blub, blub. *sweatdrop*

If you can't spell my name, go ahead and call me semi or S-chan. I don't mind, really.

Comment

• Sorry, this is off topic...
                  Today was my school's Romeo and Juliet play! Yay! I actually HATE the play, but for some stupid reason I was assigned to be Juliet. I didn't forget my lines!

~*Eliana*~
                  "A man walked into a bar and said 'ouch'."
                  "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Rosevelt

Comment

• Heh...I don't even know Hello, Sorry, or Thank You. I can say 'Happy New Year' and, um, my name. And that's it for vocab. Prefiero hablar en espanol mas que todas las linguas.
                    I've got pretty much the opposite problem with regards to pressure, tho...my folks never really felt that I needed to learn, and I only developed an interest when I was ten or something. But nothing ever really came of it. Except the numbers 1-99.
                    Love, Joy, Peace, and a White Chocolate Mocha.
                    And death to French counting systems.

Eliana: Good for you! Juliet? Yayness! Wish I had a leading role in my school's play...*is a chara called Solanio whom nobody remembers*

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.
                    OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
                    --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• I'm glad I made you laugh, Amber, I liek yo make you laugh.

I feel special: I have more French and, I suspect, Maori than Kit and Amber do Chinese. I feel slightly less like a cultural flop. As for other-language-speaking countries, well, none fo that in sight for me, but I am going to another language-spelling country... No, just joking.

Speaking of which: this Friday! The Far Side of the World! Literally!
                      Not enough exclamation marks!!!!!!!!

Oh, so it's like Australians and "six."
                      (Aussies don't say six. They say "sex." Aussie don't say fish and chips. They say "feesh and cheeps." And so on. )

Hey, blue5star, congratulations! That's a pretty big role-how much of it did you do?

Moi, je trouve le francais plus facile de parler que le.... norwegian... qui est la langue do mes anciens. Mais en fait je ne connais pas quelqu'un qui parle... norwegian... alors, je ne suis pas tres anxieuse. ^.^

Love, Joy, Peace, and a White Chocolate Mocha. That's fabulous.

Also, I'd just like to add my feelings about the french counting system. Mille-neuf-quartre-vingt-neuf? J'ai deteste cette annee!!!

--Agent M
                      Still the Typo Queen

Comment

• So, if Australian "six" sounds like British "sex", what does Ausrtalia "sex" sounds like? (No smutty answers, please ).
                        Romeo and Juliet.... I always think it's a tricky play to do, as although it's a fairly straight forward plot (boy-falls-in-love-with-forbidden-girl, both-commit-suicide-over mix-up), it's hard work keeping the audience sufficiently interested. Eliana, did you get a good sized audience, and di they like it?

Comment

• *Agent~M*
                          "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                          "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                          "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                          "I could live

Comment

• Ah, but in my own defense I must point out that my culture isn't exactly Chinese--I don't exactly live in the heart of Chinatown.
                            Yay! El Nuevo York!
                            *skips commenting on languages simply because she doesn't have anything to say, but feels obliged to put something here because she's replying point-by-point*
                            Yes. Amber likes White Chocolate Mochas. Amber likes Peppermint Mochas better, but mean ol' Starbucks doesn't serve Peppermint Mochas except at Xmas. Grr. Nasty Starbucks. But White Chocolate Mochas is good too.

--Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• No, no, not British- KIWI.
                              Sex would probably sound like sex, or maybe seex. Not sure. It's only on certain words that it's REALLY obvious, I must confess.

--Agent M
                              Still the Typo Queen

Comment

• Lesse...
                                I'm still POed at my science teacher. Heh. I'm always POed at her. Who wouldn't be? We learn crap! And by crap I mean pointless, some being false. "Owls don't eat mice because owls come out in the night and mice in the day," is only one of them. God, just about all owls eat are mice.

As my mom says, "It's better to be pissed off than pissed on."

Snort...

-MaThFrEaK
                                "Hehehe. You smell funny."
                                "I love fish and chicken and turkey and ham and squirrels and pork and..."
                                "Izza mousey!"
                                ~Gryphon~
                                Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Working...
                                X