No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One liners... *shakes head* No wonder you have so many posts!

Hey Lissa!

I love ths chats! If only people logged on more...

Yawn... Why am I so tired? It's the weekend, not even 8... Ugg.

-MaThFrEaK
    "Hehehe. You smell funny."
    "I love fish and chicken and turkey and ham and squirrels and pork and..."
    "Izza mousey!"
    ~Gryphon~
    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Originally posted by Skitty:
      The picture has three triangles. They're all similar by AA (angle, angle) congruency, and they're all right triangles.

triangleABC~triangleACD~triangleADE
      (I'd draw a picture of that to help if you wanna try to solve this)

AngleABC, ACD, ADE are all right angles.

The smallest one is a 3, 4, 5 right triangle. I'll call it triangleABC. Side AB is 4, BC is 3, CA is 5. The next triangle has the first triangle's hypotenuse as one of its legs; they share CA, length 5. You don't know the length of the other leg and its hypotenuse. The third triangle sits on top of the second and shares the line segment (side) AD.

Find the length of AE.
      I make it 125/16, but is late. note that you do need the length of BC at any stage. The fact they are simliar is what makes this do-able.
      Harder question... I would suspect those under 16 would have problems, but feel free to prove me wrong:
      Find all polynomials P(x) with real coefficients which satisfy the relation
      (x^3 + 3x^2 + 3x+ 2)P(x-1) = (x^3 - 3x^2 + 3x - 2)P(x)

(^ means to the power of)

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation
      "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right" - Salvor Hadrin, in Isaac Asimov's Foundation

Comment

• *yawns* Coincidentally (or not. Heh heh.) it was a math quiz, on bases and exponents. Not, like, easy exponents, but like: [(2x)^3]^4 x [(4+x^4)] (^ means to the power of). And bases....converting to Base 10, adding, subtracting. I made a list of things in math I hate:

1. Fractions! DIE FRACTIONS!!!!!
        2. Base 16! Letters do not belong in math!
        3. Base 2, aka binary! Too many 1's and 0's!

And there's a whole lot more, but I can't remember them all now. I DO like graphing, and solving equations, and finding the point where two lines intersect, and graphing inequalities on a coordinate grid! (Did you guess I'm in algebra 1?)

I have to get off in 10 mins...apparently I'm not going to be able to stay on as long as I wanted to...I was talking to friends from Ohio (where I used to live).

*accepts chocolate* I'm giving up chocolate again. I know I can do it, I did it last year, and on Easter morning I pigged out...but it'll be hard.

*Ella*

Over 25% of human genes are the same as those of a banana.
        *Ella*
        "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
        There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
        And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
        What could mean more than this?"
        --Bright Eyes

Comment

• If you just relax your assumptions about numerals, the bases past 10 get easier...at least, that's what I did when I learned it...
          My pet peeve is polar coordinates. I can do them, I just hate it. I think I've said this before...but honestly, they get on my nerves so much.
          But working with log is fun. And geometric proofs...ppc likes geometric proofs...and trig...ppc likes trig too...

Re all those lovely problems posted: I will work them out sometime when I'm not craving un-thought. And if I can shake myself out of this lazy stupor, I'll get my maths textbook and post one of my own.

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.
          -- (Terry Pratchett, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents)
          My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
          OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
          --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• Ella- 256x^12 + 64x^16???

I think that's right, anyway. I was rushing that. As for Wilf's one- explain in English, as opposed to Extreme Mathematics, what a polynomial is (I know what a coefficient is, though... ) and maybe I'll do it.

Or alternatively, give me a key word. Like 'differentiation." or "factorisation."

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
            --Agent M
            Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
            Still the Typo Queen
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Heh. The quiz I failed was CIVICS!! CIVICS!!!! The easiest subject. but he had to make a test that was harder than the semester test for a freaking 2 page section.
              The hardest thing in math so far was what we did this week. OK it is easy but... only if your teacher can TEACH it! I know my teacher is a family friend but he cannot freaking teach unless he's really mad! If he's mad he teaches it in a way we can understand. My god, telling us in combonation order doesn't matter, in premutation order matters, and when you use counting principle you want one thing then tellign us to take a test on it. WTC?? I'm one of the best students and I probably didn't do to well because he practically said that my math teachers in the past are wrong.

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
              CRAZY, WEIRD, AND PROUD!
              Why are you trying so hard to fit in, when you were born to stand out?
              Freedom is an illusion, it always comes at a price!
              ~Sam (Hifun55)~
              Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??
              HYPERNESS IS FUN!!! I'M HYPER 24-7!!!
              My being born was NOT a natural disater!!! It was just a bad thing to h

Comment

• *Agent~M*
                "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                "I could live

Comment

• (I acknowledge that this might sound slightly Aurora-ish)

I don't think my friend likes me...

We haven't talked in a really long time. I know that we both have lots of homework, but he hasn't even bothered to meet me at the ceramics studio lately. I miss him so much....

A Jedi Ewok
                  And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and *almost* a new driver...
                  A physics geek
                  And proud of it...

Loyal reader and Young Wizards books, great lover of Moon Cakes, and engineering feminista...

Comment

• G'job, Wilf! That sounds right.

Find all polynomials P(x) with real coefficients which satisfy the relation
                    (x^3 + 3x^2 + 3x+ 2)P(x-1) = (x^3 - 3x^2 + 3x - 2)P(x)
                    (^ means to the power of)
                    -Wilf
                    I think I'm gonna need a pad of paper... I don't see X cubed! I see X with a little thingy above it followed by a three...

Math isn't scary! It's your friend. Hehe.

-MaThFrEaK
                    "Izza mousey!"
                    ~Gryphon~
                    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Originally posted by Birdhead:
                      I think that's right, anyway. I was rushing that. As for Wilf's one- explain in English, as opposed to Extreme Mathematics, what a polynomial is (I know what a coefficient is, though... ) and maybe I'll do it.
                      Lol. Fair enough, I'll try my best. I would say that a polynomial is an expression involving (whole number) powers of X added togther. See also http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Polynomial.html .

Originally posted by Skitty:
                      I think I'm gonna need a pad of paper... I don't see X cubed! I see X with a little thingy above it followed by a three...
                      Me also. BB code doesn't allow you to do superscript, which is a shame. Oh for a forums which allowed HTML code... Sorry, being geeky there

This indirectly reminds me about the INternational Maths Olympiad, with which I have rather tenuous connections. I was looking on the website, and I came across a rankling of the countries that took place last year, based on total team score. I state the results just by way of possiblt discussion point...

1 Bulgaria 227 (out of 252)
                      2 China 211
                      3 USA 188
                      4 Vietnam 172
                      5 Russia 167,
                      6 Korea 157
                      7 Romania 143
                      8 Turkey 133
                      9 Japan 131
                      10= Hungary, United Kingdom 128
                      12= Canada, Kazakhstan 119
                      14 Ukraine 118
                      15 India 115
                      16 Taiwan 114
                      17= Germany, Iran 112
                      19= Belarus, Thailand 111
                      21 Israel 103
                      22 Poland 102
                      23 Serbia & Montenegro 101
                      24 France 95
                      25 Mongolia 93
                      26= Australia, Brazil 92
                      28= Argentina, Hong Kong 91

Comment

• Polynomial... Oh, god! I know what that is; I'm just being brain dead...

Lesse, there're binomials, mononomials... something like that. This is Agelbra 1 here! I should know this.

Woohoo! We're third!

Html would be nice...

The White Forest rules!

-MaThFrEaK
                        "Izza mousey!"
                        ~Gryphon~

Comment

• M: Lucky Duck!! I hate Civics! Math is good when your teacher can teach.
                          FW: *huggles*
                          Gryphon: Yes it is OK but I think they get the point! LOL

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
                          CRAZY, WEIRD, AND PROUD!
                          ~Sam (Hifun55)~
                          Why do I have to keep telling people I'm OK? Oh, because they aren't sure I am... then why do I have to keep telling me??

Comment

• *Agent~M*
                            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                            "I could live

Comment

• Ummmm.... well I forgot the definition of it in the book... *thinks* ... here we go:
                              Civics- a social science dealing with the rights and duties of citizens
                              GRR! The class is easy but my teacher's hand writen tests are sooo hard!
                              Math ROCKS!!! I made a 100 last year in math!! I love math, I'm gonna follow in my bro's footsteps... maybe.

WOW I used ALOT of "..."s FREAKY!! Why have they chosen to invade my life???? WHY?? WHY?? WHY?? ((Sorry, weird moment ))

~Sam (Hifun55) and Dog~
                              CRAZY, WEIRD, AND PROUD!
                              ~Sam (Hifun55)~

Comment

• *Agent~M*
                                "I could live

Comment

Working...
                                X