Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dai Stihó, cousin! - Introduce yourself here!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dai stiho, cousins!
    I just joined yestrday. I was so excited to find this website! All of my friends refuse to read these no matter how many times I try to describe how good they are. I have one quick question for you guys, does anyone know the meaning of this smiley ?

Comment

• Hello Qwertyuiop! Welcome to the forums!

Ah, I see you have discovered something worth finding. That's the "beating a dead horse" smiley (seems weird to call it that, because it is definitely not a happy example of a smiley). Because we all beat certain topics to death. Such as recommending the YW series to friends. It just never ends. (Well, I was amused to have such a good example so close by...)

But I'm glad you found us! Please have a look around!

Comment

• Just another newbie...

Dai stiho! Felt I should get myself to move along over here and stop making myself scarce all the time. (And how do you get the little symbol on top of the "o" for the "stiho" part? I never seem to be able to do it, except through copy-and-pasting...)

I couldn't believe it when I found this place! Made me stay up reading posts 'til one in the morning... So worth it.

Moving on before this strays way too far: I'm your typical "avid reader"/book obsessor (obsesser?) and I read about half of YW a long, long time back, but got re-obsessed with it by the time I reached the end of AWOM. ...Which, of course, made me start rambling about the series all the time and (attempt to) force my friends to get into it as well! Doesn't always work, but I did succeed by telling one of my friends there were whale wizards. So I started going through Out of Ambit and the GWP stuff on Goodreads and eventually found the official YW website which led me to--this. 8D Although I must say I am also a fan of various other fantasy series and trying to slowly worm my way into the fanfiction.net YW community as well--so if anyone bothers to find me there, I'm Crystal Silvera!

Gosh, that's long. Well, I'll be reading older threads for awhile yet, and those chat transcripts also interest me immensely...
        Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate...
        Basic definitions of science: If it crawls, it's biology. If it smells, it's chemistry. If it doesn't work, it's physics.
        I write for the same reason I breathe; if I didn't I would die.

Comment

• Greetings.

I am Levi. At least, that is what I choose to call myself online. It's been my handle for several years now and has served me well. It'll continue to be used in the future.

It was sometime in high school that a teacher of mine introduced me to these books and offered to give a 100% extra credit quiz grade if we read the first book and gave a short oral report on it. (She was the science teacher. While the books were not particularly relevant to the subject we were learning, she enjoyed the books and wanted to offer it. No complaints.) So I read that first one. And then the second, and the third, and the fourth... Odds are good you can see where this is going. Oddly enough, I have never re-read the series. The story and characters have remained in my mind so well, there's not been a particular need to. However, with the New Millennium Editions released, this might prove to be a good time to read them again. They're at the end of the to-read list though.

When I'm not reading, I am usually writing or working on the podcast I help host and distribute. (Or working, but with all the things that need doing, who has time for that? )

Comment

• Dai Stiho, all! [Gosh, is there an echo in here? Not that that's a bad thing to have echo, granted. XD] I actually joined this site last year, but then I never followed up on anything! Bit silly of me, huh?
            Anyway, I'm back now, and hopefully I'll get to talk to all you lovely people here. =)

Comment

• Welcome, Rae, Levi, S.M.F.... anyone else I haven't "met" yet.
              "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Hello, everyone!

Originally posted by Kathy Li View Post
                Guys, I think it might be nice to have one single live thread where newbies can introduce themselves, rather than a proliferation of threads.

If you're new, welcome to the boards! While you may want to lurk awhile or read the Board FAQ to see how we do things around here, you can also just jump right on in to the discussion.
                Hi all, I'd like to introduce myself...my name's Nym, and I may be the most ancient human to join this forum...turned 65 last month. But my friend Eric got me started on the YW books, and I LOVE them! Blown away by SYWTBAW, now in the middle of DW...about to start the "Fearsong" chapter, things are getting very exciting! Dairine is going to have to be let in on everything...how will that change things?? Anyhow, it's great to be here, and I'll enjoy checking these pages from time to time. Thank you, Diane Duane, for creating such a rich and magical and at times deeply moving world!

Comment

• Glad you made it, Nym! Indeed, "rich and magical and at times deeply moving world" describes YW perfectly, I think.
                  "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Originally posted by Nym View Post
                    ... Dairine is going to have to be let in on everything...how will that change things??...
                    The answer to that is mostly in the third book, High Wizardy.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Dai, cousins! I'm Bay, although some of you may know me from tumblr as firebreathing-bookworm. I had an account over here around six years ago that I abandoned, but I figured I'd wander back in honor of the GWP release and the up-coming Crossingscon. *waves*

Comment

• Originally posted by Bay View Post
                        Dai, cousins! I'm Bay, although some of you may know me from tumblr as firebreathing-bookworm. I had an account over here around six years ago that I abandoned, but I figured I'd wander back in honor of the GWP release and the up-coming Crossingscon. *waves*
                        Do you remember who you were around six years ago? Some of us might remember your posts if you remember who you were. Or, we might even be able to find them still. Six years ago isn't that long when it comes to this forum, which has its benefits.

I suspect multiple people will be wandering back because of the GWP release.
                        We will remember you PM. And your little GingerBear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuttle View Post
                          Do you remember who you were around six years ago?
                          I do, but I didn't post much because of being too shy. Also, if there are any posts of mine still floating around here, I'd probably rather not know- I was around 12 at the time, and anything I'd written is probably cringe-worthy.

Comment

• Hello! I'm bookishTomato, whatever abbreviation you want to use works, and I'm actually a little surprised I haven't gotten an account here before this month?

I've been reading Young Wizards for, what, 9? 10? years now, and I finally wandered onto the forum after reading GWP (the day it came out) since none of my friends have read it yet. I'm 17, and YW has been a huge thing for me over the years. My aunt actually loaned me her copy originally, but now I have digital copies of (almost) all the books. Slowly converting my friends to the series, but none of them have read enough to flail about theories with so I figured I should try the forum I've occasionally seen things about.

Looking forward to being here!

Comment

• Welcome (back), Bay, and welcome bookishTomato! May you convert ALL your friends to Young Wizards like the rest of us! I converted my friend Nym (who poked in not too long ago)!

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X