Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dai Stihó, cousin! - Introduce yourself here!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm new! That's probably a big fat DUH, since I'm posting here, but hey!

Um, I must've joined awhile ago, I think, but I've never actually introduced myself! Bad me. I'm lookin' forward to mostly just hanin' around and readin stuff, maybe visiting the chat!

Dai!
    "Sometimes, people build walls- not to keep people out but to see who cares enough to knock them down." -Anonymous

Comment

Welcome, Cait. And it's not so much a big fat DUH as you'd think. Several members will "lose" their old logins and create new ones, so just because your post-count's starting over, doesn't necessarily mean we haven't seen you around before.

Have fun, and jump right in!
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Hey, I'm Cari... I used to come on to this website all of the time... and then I stopped and there are lots of new people who I don't know... *gasps for air* So I just want to introduce myself as a quirky, fun person that enjoys making knew friends!

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm new here
          Caffeine, life blood of the geek.

Comment

Not So Silent One posted:
            Dai cousins! I'm the Not So Silent One. If you're wondering where my name originates it's from the second book, when Nita takes the role as the Silent One. I send greetings to all people here, I hope to have a good time here. I've been wanting to get onto these forums for a time so I'm very excited to finally be here! XD Well, hope to get to know you all better in times to come!

Once again dai cousins!
            moved over here to help head off thread proliferation. Sorry to lose your attribution!! --kli.
            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Dai stiheh, and well met on the journey, cousins.

Come into chat, get acquainted with the more normal members, and start posting on the forums - the most amusing place being ToGR, though posting you favorite book, character, and more is always cool too!
              Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
              Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

What is this? Another newbie of course! Sorry I'm not good with introductions. Let me give you a rundown of me, NEVER INSULT PUDDING IN MY PRESENCE, okay? I am slightly insane, who isn't nowadays? I like pudding. PUDDING!!!!! I'm excited to join your forums. I am obssessed with the series. No sure who my favorite character is though.....Ronan?Cool....Kit?....Naw...Nita?No.... Tualha!
                ............ SPLEEE
                ---------------------------
                I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Call me nasa, it's a tradition.... don't ask...

Comment

Hello. Erm....How to introduce myself?
                  Eh...I have many dreams. Yes, I did just say something that would probably come out of a bad SciFi movie. But let's get on with this.
                  One of my dreams is to eb on Broadway when I grow up. That's probably not gonna happen. Another is to write books. That's a possibility. Um...Being a publisher is one. Ah, to read books all day for a living...Hmmm....If none of those work out, I want to be a reporter.
                  Um...I reserve the right to be a brat when I'm having a bad day and/or have been offended in any way. Y'all will just have to deal with that, sorry.
                  In sixth grade, during testing, I was found to read at an average college students' level. I plan on working on that, and making my reading level as high as I possibly can before the inevitable happens and I die, just like every one does.
                  Before I get too morbid, I should stop. So ta, have a nice day. Or night, depending on when you (whoever you are) are reading this...
                  Adios, das-vi danya. Parting is such sweet sorrow...

Comment

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Dai stiho'~! Ya, I'm Tiamat.
                    I've been here since Feb., but I haven't really-...okay, I've never posted on the forums, but I have gone a Chime a lot. Kinda nervous...and I think I've lost my mind now.
                    I like to read alot, I like RPing (Role Playing), making layouts using HTML...
                    I love magic...and I really do believe in magic, even though no one in my family does...
                    My fav. animal is the wolf...and owl, color is blue...heh, and black, and my fav. season is Winter~!

Okay, I feel like a little kid now. XD
                    I'm 12, I'm a girl, and my name's *loud sound of car back-firing*. =D</span>

Comment

Dai stihó, folks. I'm starkruzr, but you can just call me Kruzr or SK.

Oh, and I'm a dude, and I may be a bit older than some here because I started reading the YW books before they were called the YW books, back in the 80s or early 90s

So I have a couple questions. Does anyone know what the "official" line is on the massive time gap between the first book and, say, the third or fourth? In book 1, it's 1983(?) and Nita is 13, and by book 8, it's at LEAST 2001-2002 and Nita is... 14. Should we just kind of consider it retconned by default? Couldn't find this in the FAQ.

Annnnd... this may be a slightly indecorous question, but it keeps popping up in my head. Are Tom and Carl, well, a couple? I vaguely recall something about Nita saying "look at Tom and Carl, they live together but they're just friends" or something like that, but it seems very unlikely that someone as good-looking (and at least moderately well-to-do) as Tom Swale is often described to be wouldn't at least be attached if he were heterosexual.

Also, Book freak, that'd be "do svidanya." Ti govorish po-russkiy?

Dai, cousins.
                      +++ATH0

Comment

Hi, Book freak.

Tiamat, please review the Avatar guidelines; you've broken two of them: the graphic size has to be 100x100 pixels or smaller, and no copyrighted material without written permission from the copyright holder.

Hi, starkruzr! You're not the only oldtimer around here. You may want to take a look at Peter Murray's YW timeline. As for Tom & Carl, it's been oft discussed, but DD remains noncommittal.

Comment

kli6, is there no facility in eve to let you restrict the size of avatars? O_o That's rather odd.
                          +++ATH0

Comment

Dai Stiho everyone, my name is Kronoan, and I've read all the YW Books 1-8 since the 80's also, and the first 2 Feline Wizard Books, I am so glad to learn that there is a new one of each on the way by DD, she rocks! And for my first newbie question, has anyone ever tried taking the Oath, and did anything happen (Ordeal?) I also happened to find this Website when I first wanted to start searching for it, didn't think there would be one! And, is there really supposed to be an age limit for Wizardry being offered? If the Powers That Be really needed someone who was ready and believed in Wizardry, and could do the job, what makes them have their power so strong in the beginning, couldn't someone who was already an adult somehow have the same or at least decent power? Thanks, I was just wondering! 28 yr. old guy, I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronoan:
                              Dai Stiho everyone, my name is Kronoan, and I've read all the YW Books 1-8 since the 80's also, and the first 2 Feline Wizard Books, I am so glad to learn that there is a new one of each on the way by DD, she rocks! And for my first newbie question, has anyone ever tried taking the Oath, and did anything happen (Ordeal?) I also happened to find this Website when I first wanted to start searching for it, didn't think there would be one! And, is there really supposed to be an age limit for Wizardry being offered? If the Powers That Be really needed someone who was ready and believed in Wizardry, and could do the job, what makes them have their power so strong in the beginning, couldn't someone who was already an adult somehow have the same or at least decent power? Thanks, I was just wondering! 28 yr. old guy, I am.
                              Dai, Kronoan. It seems to be a fairly common theme in a lot of fantasy fiction (though of course YW falls somewhere on the border between sf and fantasy) that "kids' hearts are open and adults' hearts are hard and closed." Your and my presence here (at least) contradicts that, I think. Hell, DD herself contradicts that.

And there is some evidence that the YW story itself contradicts it. Harry Callahan is a great example of this. So are Kit's mom and dad, to a somewhat lesser extent.

Hot damn, I'm good at deep-sixing my own discussion points. ::ahem::

It looks like for whatever reason, the Powers simply *don't* give anyone much above the age of 15 or so the choice of becoming a wizard. Why is a matter only they know, I suppose. I know that if I were offered the Choice right now I would jump on it - it sure would be a heck of a lot better than being a grad student
                              +++ATH0

Comment

Kit's Apprentice wrote (in another thread):
                                I like YW but how did I get into this?I found the very first book on this series in the library. A month later, i try to get a book on this series almost every day i have time. This just freaks me out, how absorbing these books are.

-Dennis
                                Moved here to consolidate first posts into a single thread. Sorry to lose your attribution! --kli

Comment

Working...
                                X