Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dai Stihó, cousin! - Introduce yourself here!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome new ones! ^_^ I hope your stay here is fun! ^_^ Just remember to be nice to everyone and you'll be fine. ^_^
    "People...stop being mean to each other. Especially for the sake of laughs. IT SPEEDS UP ENTROPY." -Diane Duane

Comment

*waves to the newbies* I'm wf, resident lurker and newbie-for-life.

I can't believe togr hasn't been mentioned yet. Newbies, go post to togr (The Topic of Great Randomness). It has its own forum and no one notices it. Go. Post. It's dying, I swear, it'll only have grown a page in the space of three weeks.

Togr is a good place to get to know people. These days chat's better (with it being so full and togr being so slow) but togr's great, honestly. You don't have to read the whole thing before posting (I did, and a couple other people did after me, but we haven't had the reading-the-forums sort of insane newbie lately), but it's fun.

If you take the time to read the first post, or if you find a random welcoming post or ancient FAQ, you'll notice that togr is generally referred to as the topic where anything goes. That's basically true, but pleeaase don't assume that this means one-liners/content-less posts are okay there. All the normal rules still apply (except off-topic-ness, obviously).

</rantspeechthing!>

(Forgive the incoherency; it's 6:30 AM.)

Comment

Hey,i'm Ezra, or WRR, or Wiz,or pretty much whatever you feel like calling me at the time. Hope you have a lot of fun here. I've been here for more than a year-but it doesnt seem like that long ago. Eventualy you will loose your sanity and you will be just a crazy as the rest of us. Sometimes i'm so crazy that I scare myself. Just like a scared myself with how much I read yesterday, I read for almost 6 hours yesterday, a really good book called Blink. Its really fun here!!!! Happy to have you!
        Dai stiho cousins
        ~~~Ezra

Comment

Dai to all the new people! *waves* I have a question (being the newbie that I am) I can't figure out how to pronounce Dai Stiho, can someone please help me? *feels unsmart*

-Dai, Shandurai
          ~What are we, but alive Just To BE~

Comment

At the risk of posting a one liner:

Dai is pronounced "die", Stihó Stee-Ho, I believe.
            Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
            Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

Hi everyone i'm new here my name isn't really hi it's bob no its not i'm kidding my name is hannah dds books are so cool i've read em all 8 and memeki are the best

Comment

Hi Hi!--I mean Bob--I mean hannah. (if you want to change your login at some point, you can send an e-mail to Lee, our admin). Welcome to the boards!
                New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Hello, everyone. I'm jemidan. Currently reading Wizards at War. Have read entire series and enjoyed each book.

Comment

*Turns around, stumbes, and finds herself on Newbie boards* Why, hello! I LUFF the books, and am a bookworm. I think Darryl is awesome. Gimme a WizPod!!!!! A question about avatars: Do you HAVE to either choose a premade one or use an image hosting website, or ccan you use ones you have saved?
                    I LOVE RONAN!!!!!!!
                    And I'm Carmela's evil twin. :happymad: mwahaha.
                    You stay away from my cookies, candy, and any other sugary products, and we're good. :winkthumb: If not, well, then: :hoppingmad: You go byebye.
                    'Nuff said. :)

Comment

Providing you can put them on some webspace somewhere, you can use ones you've made. (See example at left .)

If you don't have any webspace, the older system was to email the avatar to Lee; but she's often busy, so you may have to wait for it to be available.

Hi Cheeto!
                      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

Thanks!!!
                        My teacher's husband has your name. Weird....
                        I LOVE RONAN!!!!!!!
                        And I'm Carmela's evil twin. :happymad: mwahaha.
                        You stay away from my cookies, candy, and any other sugary products, and we're good. :winkthumb: If not, well, then: :hoppingmad: You go byebye.
                        'Nuff said. :)

Comment

Um, okay. Well then. My name is Great Scott. At least it is here. In other places its something else. Obviously. I have spent a great deal of my life reading books about wizards. Other girls wanted to be princesses, I was going to be a wizard. I've been reading the series since high school (nevermind how long ago that was).

What else? My World Lit professor claims he suffers from "a lack of an edit function in my mouth." meaning he often says what he thinks as he's thinking it. I tend to suffer from some disease, except mine affects my typing fingers. So, fair warning, my posts may make no sense whatsoever, or be completely confusing.

I also have a tendency to ramble and have been known to lecture at some length to poor unwitting victims on why the Young Wizards and other "wizardly" book series are not , I repeat, not "rip-offs of the Harry Potter series."

I suppose that's all for now.
                          "I happen to know that every word in your book was published years ago! Perhaps you've read... the dictionary!! "

"What color is the sky in that little world of yours?"
                          "Seafoam green, why?"

Comment

Hi ya, My name is Slash m. Plazama ... in the wizard world it is! And I like to eat people!... on chat!

but lets get to the point ... My name is Slash and... I LIKE FUGE!

Comment

Dai again guys, how's everyone? Speaking of other 'non rip off' books, does anybody know another wizardly series that I can read until all the new sequels come out? Or any good poem books that don't talk about buttercups? Not that I'm against buttercups, but I want deeper stuff! I'm in desperate need of reading material for my Litterature class! Thanks much you guys!

-Dai, Shandurai
                              ~What are we, but alive Just To BE~

Comment

Oh. Oh. I know this one. I know it. Me, Me Pick me! Oh Pleaaase pick me! * waves hand around wildly *

My first Wizardry books were children's books. A series called, the Circle of Magic, by Debra Doyle and James MacDonald. I'm not sure if'n they're the right length for literature though. Let's see now.

Spell for a Chameleon by Piers Anthony deals with a magical world and the only person who doesn't have it.

A sort of Sci-Fi, magic if'n you will, is Roger Zelazny's Series The Chronicles of Amber (starting with Nine Princes in Amber). It continues in another series, but I only realy liked the first series.

Tamora Pierce's Series..es... The Lioness Quartet and the Immortals have magic (and knights, which I suppose has it's good points).

Oh let's see....oh yeah...blah blah blah Lord of the Rings...blah blah Narnia (not that their bad series, I'm just trying to think of less "obvious" ones")

Terry Prachett's Discworld's got magic and humor.

There's A College of Magics by Caroline Stevermer which I could never really get into, but you might like.

Anothology wise-if'n that's what your looking for, or you just want a break from novels for a while--there's Familiars, Murder by Magic (some person called Diane Duane has a story in it. I wonder who that is. ) and its I-didn't-get-in-that-book-so-I-wrote-my-own-collection counterpart Powers of Detection (Honest to Betsy, that's what happened. It says so in the introduction). Then there's Sorcerer's Academy (which...is..essentially a pseudo-rip-off of Harry Potter, but has a few good points) and Apprentice Fantastic.

If your tired of anthologies, or you find you want something a little thicker than the "kiddie books" previously mentioned (though, I don't htink Amber quite qualifies as "kiddie" but whata I know?) There's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (with an -e. I always forget the -e.)That book'll take you a week or so to finish. Unless you're like me, in which case, you'll read the first few chapters, than put it onto the pile when you remeber you've stil got all those other books to read first, plus it might be a good idea to do your reading homework at soem point.

There are probably tons more that I'm missing, but my acess to my BookCase O' Magical Stuff, is curently blocked by my piles and piles of other books and unfinished jigsaw puzzles.

Oh, Oh. And there's also this book series by this lady called Diane Duane. She writes these box about these kids who're wizards...but maybe you already knew that.

Dai, cousin
                                Great Scott.
                                "I happen to know that every word in your book was published years ago! Perhaps you've read... the dictionary!! "

"What color is the sky in that little world of yours?"
                                "Seafoam green, why?"

Comment

Working...
                                X