No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most of my discussions period, are where I am on one side arguing for something I don't believe in completely. If I say I believe it I do but most of the time when I argue I pick up a thought that I have no firm belief in and enter the discusion to try and make a belief by learning why others believe as they do. For me, I hate to know something works without knowing how and why it works that way.

On the topic, my Dad used to be a Mormon and therefore I used to know several who attended the church. I came away from the experiance with a bad oppinion of Mormons in general. My family has moved out of the state and then move 3 times since being where we are now and were totally unconnected to my Dad's old Church. Despite this, these people tracked us down and called up 5 years after he had stopped attending trying to get him to come and talk to them. Even after he talked to him on he phone and told them he had stopped attending, some gus showed up at our house trying to reconvert him.

-IV-
    Ipha
    -IV-
    Ipha
    Dai Stihò

Comment

Just to throw in a little randomness, one of my favorite blogs on the net is Teresa Nielsen-Hayden's Making Light. She's an editor for Tor and all around way-cool person, and she was raised Mormon, and has a very entertaining tale about the day she was excommunicated.

BTW, if you're thinking of becoming a professional novelist, you might want to check out her book about publishing from the editing/copyediting point of view: Making Book.
      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

Ella: what do they wear if they can't wear pants? Shorts? Also, why not Fathers Day, why Mothers Day? It doesn't make any sense.And SOOOORRYY about tommorrow, I'll change it.

And also just a Little off topic, I'M AT ONE THOUSAND!!!! SECOND ONE TO IT!!!! I WILL CATCH UP WITH YOU BIRDHEAD!!!! I'm only 196 posts away!!!!!!!
        Live your life as if there's no tommorow, for all you know there might not be, in more ways then one.
        *Agent~M*
        "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
        "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
        "I could live

Comment

i know... I'm a confused person...

Well, actually, I'm perfectly fine with gay or bisexual people...

I don't know why, but to me, religion is a deeply personal thing...

Resident Otaku, Martial Artist, and Miko. Do not anger me-the consequences could be... dire.

Comment

Oh, I'm sure you are... I was trying to find a comparison that would make sense. I wasn't sugessting that... sorry!
            T

Tuibird in Aotearoa
            Conservationist, Scientist, and proud of both!
            Chocolate lover extraordinaire...
            Ahahahaha, ahahahahaha, ahahahaha...
            My mission: Bringing Maori to the world!
            Spelling Freak and Typo Queen
            Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Ah, s'alright...

Resident Otaku, Martial Artist, and Miko. Do not anger me-the consequences could be... dire.

Comment

Talking to yourself are you?

Live your life as if there's no tommorow, for all you know there might not be, in more ways then one.
                *Agent~M*
                "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                "I could live

Comment

*Slaps self on forehead* I meant that they have to wear pants and they can't wear tank tops. That was pretty stupid...

*Ella*

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle."
                  -Plato
                  *Ella*
                  "But the night rolls around, and it all starts making sense
                  There is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
                  And so I do what I do, and at least I exist;
                  What could mean more than this?"
                  --Bright Eyes

Comment

One thing I don't like about many religions is the fact that the doctrine of faith implies that if you love someone, you should try to convert them. I personally beleive that if you love someone, you should NOT try to convert them, because you should love them for who they are.

So you could generalize, and say that all christians try to convert people, or you can say that some christians try to convert people, but I prefer to say that christians are ENCOURAGED to convert people. You don't see wiccans on tv, or going door to door, because there is nobody telling them to. Atheists try to convert people because (in my case anyway) it's lots of fun to argue.

I'd bet that any christian could (if only breifly) be persuaded to try to convert a friend or family member if their spiritual leader was emotional and charismatic enough, and gave them good enough imagery. It would probably be something like, "Imagine your loved one in the depths of hell, blah blah blah, you could have saved them, God loves them too, and it's up to you to save them."

This only works for a week or so. Even the Jehovah's Witnesses that were trying to convert me a few months ago gave up, even though I was more than willing to talk with them. Religious fervor only lasts a little while, and remember that if somebody is trying to convert you, somebody else probably put them up to it. You could just outwait them.

--Dai Stihó

Yes, Yes, I know... I missed the chat.

Comment

Ugh, I hate that, I would never make such an advance onto someone's beliefs as to convert them. It's their personal business, and, like you said, if I care about them so much I don't want them to not like me for trying to convert them. And I wouldn't want someone to try to convert me.

Wow, Rysade, you type fast. I have to get off now if I want to negotiate for more media time, which is absolutely crucial.

*Ella*

-Plato
                      *Ella*
                      --Bright Eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Rysade:
                        Atheists try to convert people because (in my case anyway) it's lots of fun to argue.
                        Somebody obviously hasn't met my mother. She (attempts to) converts people because she thinks Christianity is idiotic. No lie. You can see how difficult it must be for me to be tolerant of religio at all and Christianity in particular, growing up as I have in the heat of atheist fanaticsm.

T
                        sig trim - gf
                        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Hahahahahaha...

Arguing IS fun!

Well, many christians DO attempt to convert, and it usually annoys me... which will inevitably end in a debate...

I still remember that Geography class half a year ago, on the evolution of the earth and the 4 eras...

Teacher: (after explaining) And read pages (insert numbers) on the Precambrian, Paleozoic, Mesozoic and Cenazoic Eras, and do the questions on page (insert number).

Student: I refuse to do this because it is against god! I don't think this should be taught in school!

Teacher: (protecting name) S******, just do the work. You don;t have to believe it if you don;t want.

S******: I refuse to do this!

And it went ON and ON and ON for about an hour...

Comment

I myself am a Christian and when it comes down to conversion, I believe there is no way to make someone believe in God except by praying to God and asking him to speak to that person and give that person the knowledge that He exists. Even then, the person may reject God.

OK... Time for a Paradox.
                            This is how I believe real belief in God is born. At the start God will choose ones to follow him. When he chooses a person, he reveals himself to them. This person can either accept or reject God. When God is accepted, the accepter will long for God with all his mind body and soul. But if the accepter does not seek God out then he will lose that longing to know God. So, First God chooses, then he shows himself. Once the chosen have made a choice, God gives the person the wish to know God. If the person strives to know God and follows him then God gives that person the power he needs To follow him daily. If the person does not follow God then he loses his want to know God and may even turn away. So basically, the more one seeks God the more one will want to seek him and the more one doesn't look for God the less one will want to find him. To complete the thought, all this in itself comes from God. Therefore, no one can find God on his own and for anyone to know God at all, he must first have God reveal himself to him. Thus comes the importance of prayer. If a man is to be an evangelist he must pray, and if a man is to be converted, he must be prayed for. It is for this reason that I believe a man cannot be converted in the way commonly thought of but must instead be prayed for. Each type of Evangelism however does have its purposes. However, I disagree with people who want to barge in a shout about hell fire and brimstone and invading other's privacy until either the police are called or the people present are give in and convert themselves.

Oh by the way, I love to argue also.

-IV-
                            Ipha
                            -IV-
                            Ipha
                            Dai Stihò

Comment

That's certainly a less intrusive way of doing it. I'm a nOOb

ignore that man!!!

--Dai Stihó

Yes, Yes, I know... I missed the chat.

Comment

Rysade? What are you talking about?

*Ella*

-Plato

"Pane boze! Mam sekeru v hlave!"
                                [Bonus points if you know what that means, and what language it is!!]
                                *Ella*
                                --Bright Eyes

Comment

Working...
                                X