The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth the Tui:
    oh, help, can I say Elizabeth? She wasn't actually the one who kicked the Puritans out, but she's the one who changed the Church
    Actually, it was Henry VIII that switched from Catholic to Protestant, and was not nice to heretics (people who hadn't changed their minds). His son Edward the oh-I-can't-remember kept the country Protestant as long as he lived, Edward's cousin Jane did her best for not very long at all, Henry's daughter Mary went back to Catholic, and was very nasty to heretics (people who changed their minds once and weren't going to do it again), burning a lot of them. (No witches were burnt in England - you had to be a good Christian to be burnt at the stake.)

Finally, Elizabeth I came to the throne, switched the country back to Protestantism, killed a few heretics (people who changed their minds twice and were getting fed up with the whole thing). Phew!

Nowadays, people don't seem to care much. I suppose that's what happens when everyone's descended from people who changed their minds three times.

Anyway, my father was Catholic, my mother was Protestant (but converted), I was brought up as Catholic and then turned atheist. Wasn't that boring.
    Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• OH! I feel horrible! It's eleven oclock, and I can't get to sleep!

I don't have a clue what we're talking about. Something about church/government/state/whatever-else-we're-talking-about. Personaly, I have no opinion on any of the discussed topics. For me, "ALL HAIL ANARCHY AND WATEVER-THE-FANCY-TERM-FOR-NONRELIGIOUS-PEOPLE IS!"
      Reality is for those who lack imagination.

Comment

• *wry* Believe it or not, Peter murray, I'm studying the period, I know that... I mentioned Elizabeth because
        - I'm studying her, James, and the Charleses.. we looked at Henry too, of course, for about a week.
        - Henry was basically only interested in a divorce and while he created the option in England, his form was almost identical to Catholocism- he wasn't even excommunicated as Elizabeth was, IIRC.
        - Edward made more reforms, being a devout Protestant, but he didn't live long enough for them to "take."
        - Jane... *snerk*
        - Elizabeth, though, had an unusually long (for the time) tenure, and so most of what she did stuck. James modified it a little- he was extremely successful with this balance. And he came up with the King James Bible, which most people know of.

Er, the term for non-religious varies. Atheism is one, literally "without gods;" I usually identify myelf as atheist, for ease, but I prefer Humanist and/or Bright. Brights (*plugs*) are those who have a naturalist world view- they believe in God no more than they believe in Santa Claus. Check them out at http://www.the-brights.net

As for anarchy... *sigh* Anarchy is SILLY. Sorry. It really is. I mean, WHY? Why would you want to, basically, get rid of everything we've been gifted with in the modern world- ie electricity, roads, laws, schools, offices, corporate lawyers (okay, I can see why we mihght want to lose them), the internet, libraries, city councils, science, central heating, plumbing... and everything connected.
        Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• NOOOOOOO! I COULDN'T LiVE WITHOUT SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY!!!!! I just mean that I don't exactly like the way things are run around the world! Oh darn, I have to go to school, oh well. Dai.

Comment

• tui:
            I don't know what you have in America that is analogous to treason, but I am willing to bet you have one- crimes against the State, possibly.
            Trashing the mail truck. *shakes head* If four cars were stopped at an intersection: a police car, a fire truck, an ambulance, and a mail truck, which would go first? The mail truck would!!! How insane is that? The government values mail more than lives. Raaahhhh...

Biw:
            For me, "ALL HAIL ANARCHY AND WATEVER-THE-FANCY-TERM-FOR-NONRELIGIOUS-PEOPLE IS!"
            Oh, if anyone has covered anything that I've said, sorry. I'm going post by post, replying at one before reading the next.

Biw, I have to disagree with anarchy. I feel that people need a government of some form tom keep things together. People need laws and rules. Or at least guidelines. However, the "WATEVER-THE-FANCY-TERM-FOR-NONRELIGIOUS-PEOPLE IS" I do beleive in. Atheists!!! People who don't have a religion/don't beleive in god.

Heh. What would I do without people who know stuff? I post something and everyone else fixes it. :P So... it was Protesten?

Tui:
            Er, the term for non-religious varies. Atheism is one, literally "without gods;" I usually identify myelf as atheist, for ease, but I prefer Humanist and/or Bright. Brights (*plugs*) are those who have a naturalist world view- they believe in God no more than they believe in Santa Claus.
            Hey, that's me! That's me!

Oh, and there's more against anarchy. Yep, BiW. Sorry, but you kinda do need a govenment to get that kidna stuff in order.

You do? Hahaha! I have no more school! None! And Tui, I hope your summer comes fast enough.
            Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• BeliverInWizardry, school!!!! When do yall get off? I live in Texas and we have been off for errr, I think 3 weeks. Sorry!!!!

I learned alot on Henry VIII, not in history but on my own. He changed the church because he wanted a divorce from his wife, Catherine of I forgot, Argon, I think. She was the mother of Mary. It was on the grounds that his marrige was never legall in the first place. The pope didn't approve it because it wasent right to divoce in the Catholic religion. So he changed the church to Protestent, I think. He did this so he could marry his mistress, Ann Bollyn, the mother of Elizabeth. She then became the second out of the six wives of Henry the VIII. Ann Bollyn ended up being beheaded at the end.

My father, when he went to church, was Babtist, my mother, she's from Costa Rica, was Catholic. They got married and decided to be Presbitaian. So that's what I am now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
              **Neets**
              CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

• Aw, poor Jane. She does seem to have been named Edward's heir, and she gave Helena Bonham-Carter her first film rôle, too.

Henry persecuted the Protestant movement in England, and got an award "Defender of the Faith" from the Pope as a result. Then, to get the divorce, he promptly revived the heretic Bible (unchanged, apparently) as the King Henry VIII Bible.

I'm happy to be an atheist. I don't believe in any of these gods, not even Cernunnos . Mythology's interesting, though.

Gryphon: That's just really, really strange.

And I've just got to say that Catherine of Argon was a real gas .
                Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• STOP REMINDING ME ABOUT SCHOOL!!!!! I'm in computer class right now. Help me, i'm sitting next to a really annoying kid. YAY! I only have five minutes of school left! YAY! NOW I GET TO LEAVE!!!!!!! DAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• YAY! I'm home from school!!!! I have exactly one week, three days, eight hours, and forty-five minutes of school left!!!!! It's such a long time!!!!!!! I spent half of computer class surfing the web and posting here.

VG Dawn ROCKS!!!!!! JOIN ALL WHO HAVEN"Y DOME SO ALREADY!!

Comment

• Poor BIW *huggles*
                      *Agent~M*
                      "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                      "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                      "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                      "I could live

Comment

• Wher do you live BIW? SCHOOL!!!!! I can't ever do anything in comp. class without getting caught. If I tried posting, I would get in deep trouble!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                        **Neets**
                        CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

• We have two days left of school. I am going to be sooooo Bored until Renissance Faire starts!

I would be MURDERED if i was caught posting here during the day!
                          Ask not for whom the dog barks. It barks for thee.
                          :wigglesmile:
                          And really bad eggs...
                          Go salaí cúnna ifrinn do chuid calóga arbhair.
                          S.P.R.B.I (Semi Puke Related
                          Barf Incident)
                          Weak Sauce!

Comment

• Everyone's getting out of school so late.

Lots of people in my school play games and listen to music in computer class. The teachers will send them to the computers by themselves to type or something, and they'll spend the whole period playing "Catch the Monkey" or something like that.

Comment

• heh heh... *guilty* But I don't play Catch the Monkey!!! What IS Catch the Monkey??? No... I check my email and listen to music sometimes... once a while back a couple people (including myself) went on www.evilsite.com or something like that.... yeah it was really weird... The person who made it up thinks EVERYONE is evil *roll eyes* some people on there really are evil but we tried to find the stupidest ones, like "Toys Are Us" and "Nike"... lol
                              *Agent~M*
                              "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                              "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                              "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                              "I could live

Comment

• The American government, I have to say, has some quirks that really should not be there. The stupid idiots!

The world is ruled by people with issues, not brains.

Ha! Rysade had that in his siggy for the longest time, even with the typo I had in it... heh. I always make typos. But I forgot what typo it was. Might've been 'rule' instead of 'ruled.' And after Rysade got rid of that quote, he replaced it with another of mine!

Wait... I think Nike did something really bad, but I can't quite remember. Might've been making kids work for them in other countries for under dollars per hour. Some shoe company did something like that. And I wonder what they accused Toys R Us of, and if it could be true. I didn't look at the site yet, so I don't know.

Woohoo! I'm getting somewhere in my html book. My webby is already two of wazzit calleds... Bytes? I'm so bad at units.

In computer class I was usually busy, but after school when I was at a computer club (which did virtually NOTHING this year) I went online to roleplay or check up here. VGDawn is the best! PM, you really should join. It's not hard or demanding, but it's fun! And Diegowts actually writes long posts there, which has to mean something.

BiW, you should get AIM so that we could know when you're online and chat about roleplaying. A lot of the other rpers are online a lot... IM is free. Go to www.aim.com. My screenname is IzzaGryphon.
                                Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

Working...
                                X