No announcement yet.

The Topic of Great Randomness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lol, Diego it's the seperation of Church and State, in England especially the Church was pretty much the government... *shudders*
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

• M: It "was" the government? The United Kingdom is ruled by the queen - she has to ask the leader of the party who gets the most votes in an election to form a government.
      The head of the Church of England is the Queen. Yes, she's in charge of both.

Drea: Were you expecting people to disagree?
      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• M, I don't drink milk at all, eat veg., salad, ect. My mom says that it's really unhealthy. I know it is but, I hate it! I gag every time I try to eat it. As for the eating less thing, my parents tried the Weight Watchers and it worked pretty well for them. I tried it and lost 5 pounds, and you can eat anything you want. It's like a point system thing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
        **Neets**
        CAUTION: Being a member of YW forum may result in loss of sanity.

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

• whew, yall blew right over my head with the church/state thing!
          **Neets**

Kathy, me and G - I love you, chime, I hate you, chime, I can't live with out you.

Comment

• Ugh... poor nitafan...
            *Agent~M*
            "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
            "I could live

Comment

• Today at camp we packed food for starving children in Malawi! I feel good! We also went swimming and now my hair's all messed up... (I'm a girly-girl and I'm proud!)
              penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• Wait.. Peter I thought that the Queen had no power in the UK? I thought the PM was more powerful? Even if the PM's not richer...
                *Agent~M*
                "I could live

Comment

• nitafan:
                  whew, yall blew right over my head with the church/state thing!
                  I'm laughing really hard right now. As soon as you said thgat, I burst out in laughter. Something my friend said once...

Okay, there were three people involved in this. I was there, but I'm not gonna be one of the people who I'll be talking about. Anyway, there were three kids. Brandon, Josh, and Joe.

Josh was rambling on about violins, his all-time obsession. After he finished, Brandon stared at him for a moment, speachless. Then he said, "that went way over my head." And (haha) Joe said, "That's 'cuz there's nothing there to stop it."

Hahaha... I'm not making fun of you, Nitafan11; it just triggered a funny memory. hehe...

Separation of Church and State. Okay, I've learned a bit in history class this year, which I have to say is the first year that I've EVER learned anything in History. So when America and everything was discovered, colonists would come to America. Some to make a bit of money, have their own land, and, for some, to have their own religion. England had one religion: Christianity. People like the Puritains worshiped a different form of that that wasn't allowed in England. So blah blah blah. Anyway, the local government wanted people to do one religion, and one religion only. Like some would only allow certain religions and others others and so on. People didn't want the government to have any control over the Church or for the government to be influenced/controlled by the Church. Separation of Church and State is the beleif (which I strongly back) that the Church and State should be seperate.

Rah. You're a girly-girl? Aug. *grumbles*

Eat less, but not too much less! Nitafan, you honestly should try to eat milk and drink salad. Those have some essential stuff in them.
                  Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Nice to know I made someone laugh!!!
                    posted by Gryphon: try to eat milk and drink salad
                    I'll sure try! I know, in all seriousness I will try again. You sound like my mother!!

Thanks for explaining the church/state thing. I know what you are talking about now I learned that way back in 5th grade, but, I have not had a decient history class since. Good for your friend for playing violin, I play the viola.

AAAGHHHH, My brother just started singing that Britnay Spearce song, Toxic. Thats like the only song of her's I like.

**Neets**

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent M:
                      Wait.. Peter I thought that the Queen had no power in the UK? I thought the PM was more powerful? Even if the PM's not richer...
                      Well, technically she has no power.
                      Technically, if she doesn't ask the election's winner to form a government, we don't have a government.
                      Technically, if she doesn't sign each new law into existence, it isn't law.
                      Fortunately, she goes along with them, and everyone's happy. (Really?)

Gryphon: Yes, you have complete separation of Church and State in the US, one nation indivisible under God. (Huh?)
                      And the President swears his oath on the Bible. I asked this somewhere else, but nobody knew - is Kennedy the only US President not to be Protestant? Have any ever not been Christian?
                      Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• oops. sorry. the song is named Church and SKATE
                        Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
                        ------------------------------------------------------------
                        "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• The only one that I can honestly recall is Jefferson, who was agnostic, which was a little different. I'll spare the details.

And on the whole teenager thing: I just thought it might have been aknowledged.

And the weirdest part is that the money in the US also acknowledges God, yet because of the separation of church and state (which the founders meant as a way for people to pick their own religion. It's pretty much agreed on that it wasn't meant as a way for separation from God completely). Pending Supreme Court ruling, under God may be removeable from the Flag Salute. Which means that it could be removed from all US money. Which would cost quite a bit.

Strange things that this country spends money on.
                          http://superdrea.net/

Comment

• PM:
                            Gryphon: Yes, you have complete separation of Church and State in the US, one nation indivisible under God. (Huh?)
                            And the President swears his oath on the Bible. I asked this somewhere else, but nobody knew - is Kennedy the only US President not to be Protestant? Have any ever not been Christian?
                            That is so true and I hate every bit of it. I hate it!!! Raahhhh!!! What's with it??? The stupid government!!! Just so you know, i don't say taht line of the Pledge. What's their problem? rah rahg rah! Separation of Church and State is all an illusion. An illusion that shouldn't be an illusion.
                            Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• England had one religion: Christianity. People like the Puritains worshiped a different form of that that wasn't allowed in England. So blah blah blah. Anyway, the local government wanted people to do one religion, and one religion only. Like some would only allow certain religions and others others and so on. People didn't want the government to have any control over the Church or for the government to be influenced/controlled by the Church. Separation of Church and State is the beleif (which I strongly back) that the Church and State should be seperate.
                              Actually, England's religion at the time was Protestantism, not Christianity. This is important, because Catholicism, which was the other major type of Christianity at the time, was completely opposed to Protestantism. Catholicsm held that the pope was the head of the Church on earth, second only to God; Protestantism, the sort that the English had, held that the Monarch was the head of the church on earth, though it was transmuted to governor rather than head. Anyway, my point was, no, Puritanism was not accepted in England because it was not only treason, but heresy. In no western nation, at that time, was there any idea that a country could have more that one religion without a civil war- it wasn't just and English complaint.

And *sigh* The church was not the government: they were and are (obviously) two different things. Government was controlled by parliament, privy council and ultimately the monarch; religion was controlled by the archbishops and untimately the head of the church- which was, yes, the Monarch. Now, the reason that the monarchs (oh, help, can I say Elizabeth? She wasn't actually the one who kicked the Puritans out, but she's the one who changed the Church) could not have multiple religions was because this was treason- going against the monarch. I don't know what you have in America that is analogous to treason, but I am willing to bet you have one- crimes against the State, possibly. Anyway, if your head of the church (and there were fairly good reasons for that at the time; gross corruption in the Catholic churhc, which was the only other option, played a part) is also your head of state, then if you're a stirrer (like the Puritans and the Catholics) and start complaining that the church isn't right, you're also complaining about the monarch and threatening their position. In a Monarchy the position and power is supposed to be derived from God. If people were threatening their power then they were threatening stability as well, and so the governments of the period couldn't afford to tolerate diversity of religion; they jsut didn't understand the concept.

I will also take umbrage with especially England. Sure, England didn't have separation of Church and state- and under Catholic Mary Tudor (also known as Bloody Mary) there were several hundred burnings of protestants. This is why people gave up on Catholicsm, of course. but it's not as bad as Spain. after the Protestants came to power in England, there was none of the crulety of, say, the Spanish Inquisition. Now, Spain, that was a country where the government was the Church. I'll tolerate shudders for them.

*sigh* You made me miss my lunch break- I haven't eaten and the bell just went. And I don't think what I said just made sense, either. Lawks.
                              Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Oh, AND: The USA= teenager thing. It's an interesting comparision... but, see, when teenagers have tantrums, all they break is windows. (*grins guiltily* it's okay, I'm not seriously injured...) On the other hand, when a country that has NUCLEAR WEAPONS and the larger part international power, slightly bigger things get broken. Like countries.
                                Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

Working...
                                X