Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Potter Speculation (book & movie Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it IS sad how this might effect the series. Of course, J.K. rowlings already sold millions of coppies by this point, most likely, and she's already a multi millionair, so i doubt her bank will notice the difference. but still...it's rather sad when everyone turns away from a character for something as stupid as that.
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• Yeah it is sad. I feel that Dumbledore was one of the most strongest characters in the series. I think he was just amazing. I liked how Dumbledore can frighten Voldemort but at the same time be talking about his favorite lemon drop. I think that's hilarious. But people do judge rather harshly. As long as people don't start burning the books because all of a sudden they're even more 'evil' than what people already thought then I'll be fine.

I forgot to mention that Emma Watson won an award for Best Movie Actress at the Nickelodeon kids awards in Britain on October 21, 2007. I don't think it will be shown in America. I think the award show will only be shown in Britain.
      Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
      Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

• no book burning! such paths lead to darkness! mostly this is just because people turn off the lights to enjoy the fire, and then the fire runs out, but still! darkness is darkness! and the metaphorical darkness is even worse! *shudders at the thought of the metaphorical darkness creeping accross the world*
        aka, No book burning! who knows? they might attack YW next!
        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• You kidding? They already have. I have at least two friends who say the very word "wizard" is a curse word. They would burn the whole series if they got a chance--a definite path to all doom and destruction (not to mention darkness)! Then there's this other friend of mine who's little sister started reading HP, but after the first chapter of the first book, said it had too much evil in it. The first chapter! The first chapter has no evil in it, as far as I can remember, just a bunch of owls, and "strange people in cloaks." She was probably just making it up, because the rest of her family is so much against the books. (I bet she secretly reads them )
          Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• It's stupid....I'm ok with people who are religious, but i have a problem with people who will destroy books simply because they don't like the fact that they have magic in them. (particularly since the only line in the bible pertaining to this kind of thing was, as i've said, mistranslated)

but back on topic...well, um...what do you think they'll cutt in the next movie?

Comment

• Let's see, what could they cut out of HBP...probably everything They keep cutting Dobby, so they're going to have to find a new way of tailing Malfoy, and they'll probably take out most of the Harry+Ginny stuff (they'll probably do the kiss but not much after that ) either that or put so much of the smoochie-stuff that the whole movie becomes some sort of romance flick...stupid Hollywood messes everything up...
              "...For my own part, I known my job; my commission comes from Those Who Are. My paw raised is Their paw on the neck of the Serpent, now and always..." - The (Kitty) Catechism
              Define the universe and give 3 examples.

Comment

• I would hate it if they cut out the Harry+Ginny stuff. But I don't want it to become a love story either because that's not what Harry Potter is about. I don't like that they keep cutting the stuff for Dobby. I know a lot of people find him annoying but I love the little guy! You know sometimes I really do start to hate Hollywood.

And in reply to the book burning stuff. kk I was surprised that I even got my grandma (super religious by the way) to watch the first movie. Not to mention the second. I see exactly what you mean by your friends thinking that wizard is like a swear word. I have some friends who's parents wont even let them trick-or-treat. My grandma's thinking on the whole Harry Potter stuff was like it's voodoo, Ooooooo! Now she likes it. But she's heard that the series gets darker as it goes on. So now I'm trying to get her to see the third movie and she is kind of timid. The funny thing is she took me to see the third movie when it came out in 2004? right. (I'm getting mixed up with the years here so bare with me ) I don't think she remembers whether or not she liked the movie though. I tried to tell her about Young Wizards and she just tensed like she wasn't listening. I also made connections (Now for all of you who are not religious in anyway please don't let me make you mad) by pointing out that the lone power was like the devil. And that the 'One' and the other powers that be are like Gods and Angels. Let's just say it didn't go to well. I'm going to stick with Harry Potter for the moment. I can't even get her to rewatch the third movie. So I'm going to take this one magyk book of spyells at a time.

Comment

• My grandmother (almost OVER religious) went to see the first movie on her own when it first came out. She said she enjoyed it, but wont answer me when I ask why she wont see the other ones. Then there's my mom, who only ever read the first two pages of HW, and declared that I shouldn't read the books for their excessive amount of evil and improbability, saying that they would "put ideas into my head." Then when she heard my friend screaming every time the number "262" was said, and she made me tell her what exactly was on that page. She thought it was Nita and Kit's first kiss or something, (which would have been all right with me!) and didn't want me to EVER read YW again. Of course, she doesn't realize that since reading the YW series, my IQ has increased by nine points, and as said by DD, "there are no accidents." And also, by the time she had said this, I had already read the series four times over, so it didn't matter. She might not let me read AWoM, though, and that would be torture.

And then my two other friends basically draw the sign of the cross anytime I say the words "magic," "wizard," "Diane Duane," "Harry Potter," J. K. Rowling," and lastly, "temporospatial claudication," though they wont let me explain what it even is!
                  Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• I pity you, i really do! Are your parents and grandparents Christians? Because I know some Christians that don't let their kids read Harry Potter, or anything including Magic! Anyways, I completely believe in magic myself, and my parents believe the same, so I am in good shape! Do you believe in all that religious stuff about magic is evil? From what you said about your friends I would take it that they do. Anyways good luck convincing them to let you read AMoM! And what does happen on page 262? And why would your parents have a problem with Kit and Nita kissing? I mean we all come to that part in our lives at some point or another, and personally I think that as long as they really love each other its fine! If they don't I would know why it could be the wrong kind of influence, but they really like each other! Anyways, are you a boy or girl in real life??? And as you pointed out earlier, reading YW helps your IQ! <span class="ev_code_PINK">There are no coincidences</span>
                    Kardia

Comment

• We had a bad experience once with one of Donna's aunts. She had started going to a new church, the pastor of which convinced her that despite what she knew from a lifetime of exposure to Freemasonry through her relatives -- father, brothers, nieces in Rainbow -- Masonry was actually evil.

That was not exactly the most pleasant conversation we've ever had.

Later, she died of cancer. The pastor used the funeral as a recruiting opportunity. I almost walked out. :-(

Teresa Nielsen Hayden calls this style of Christianity "Satan Triumphant".
                      "...and that's how Snuggles the hamster learned that yes, things COULD always get worse."

"You are the most insolent child I have ever had the misfortune to teach." "Thank you."

Comment

• Originally posted by Garrett Fitzgerald:
                        We had a bad experience once with one of Donna's aunts. She had started going to a new church, the pastor of which convinced her that despite what she knew from a lifetime of exposure to Freemasonry through her relatives -- father, brothers, nieces in Rainbow -- Masonry was actually evil.

That was not exactly the most pleasant conversation we've ever had.

Later, she died of cancer. The pastor used the funeral as a recruiting opportunity. I almost walked out. :-(

Teresa Nielsen Hayden calls this style of Christianity "Satan Triumphant"
                        </div>[quote]

I think that you make a good point. I wouldn't tell that to my grandma though. Just about all of my uncles are pastors (preachers) and one has his own church. I have no idea if they have ever read Harry Potter or not. I don't think they ever will though.

Personally Clara I don't believe that magic is real. But unlike my grandma I have no problem with reading Harry Potter or Young Wizards. I love the fantasy and the fact that it isn't real is what makes it fun for me. I think that the imagination is important and I feel that having an active imagination can take you to places you never even thought you would go. In fact there is this really good public service announcement about reading that I like. And guess what Hogwarts was one of the destinations. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwioNlZjZwk

By the way who's going to get Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix when it comes out on DVD?

Comment

• I believe in magic, because although adults dismiss it as illusionary, ever thing in life is magical. The fact that science can prove it or give it a name does not mean it is not a phenomenon. The fact that the universe exists is in its self completely magical, something that not even science can explain! And personally I believe that there are other planets out there that we don't know of, but that know of us! Because I really don't think that what ever power or god that created us would take the chance of only creating life on one planet in an entire universe! And I might by Harry Potter 5!
                          Kardia

Comment

• I can see what you mean about that. The universe is magical. I also feel that it has to be more than just us living here in this universe. This universe is just too big for all of us to be here by ourselves. There has to be more life out there somewhere.

What did you guys think about that public service announcement? I thought it was truly magical.

My little brother and I are making progress on his reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I have discovered a new way to teach him. It takes forever because what I do now is after every paragraph or so I stop him and I ask him what was happening. I discovered by talking to a friend of mine who is also bad with reading comprehension that asking him what has happened after a couple of pages is overwhelming for him. It is just too much information for him to take in. Just like a math problem is overwhelming for me when I see all of those numbers my mind shuts off and I can't do the problem. I help him along giving him hints. If he can't figure it out I will always ask him what he doesn't understand and I will always explain what he just read and how it ties into the rest of the text. He has even started asking me what words mean now. He really wants to see the third movie now that my friend (wizy ) has lent me his copy. I'm so happy now!

Comment

• Said by Clara:
                              And what does happen on page 262?
                              See the romance topic in the W@W spoiler area. And that's 262 of W@W, if I hadn't said already.
                              Oh, and I'm a girl. kk is just what my sister used to call me when she couldn't pronounce my full name (beginning with "k"). I know, not avery imaginitive account name, but I couldn't think of anything else at the moment.

And I don't believe all magic is evil, but probably some of it is. I mean, take the Lone Power in the YW series, for example. And anyway, I've read the ONE verse in the bible that my friend says refers to all magic being evil, and in my version of the bible, it doesn't use the word "witchcraft" or "magic" it uses the word "wickedness" which is totally different. My whole family, or most of them at least, are Church of Christ Christian (including me), except for my grandmother, who's Catholic.
                              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• I agree with you on that some magic can be eveil, but only if the user is evil! Because the lone power was and now is good, so its bad magic has become good, since he now uses it for good! I think magic is just a tool that can be used for good or evil.
                                Kardia

Comment

Working...
                                X