Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harry Potter Speculation (book & movie Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree with not wanting it to become a long argument. I think comparison is completely unneeded, and would be sort of difficult. The only thing that we could possibly compare (in my opinion) is the different types of magic that the different series use.
    Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• My friend was so excited about the fifth movie coming out on DVD he ditched his first period to go get it. I was so irritated. I love Harry Potter just as much as he does, but even I know that my education is more important. I was trying to get that through his head but it wasn't working. Whatever. He brought it to school with him. Of course his mom thinks that he went to go get it after school. But he wouldn't listen to me of course. Now I have to rent this movie for my brothers. They already saw three of them.
      Writing is nice, but you have to live in the real world sometimes.-Me 09/06/07
      Writing is an art, and words are like colors.

Comment

• Wow. I agree, I wouldn't go get the movie and skip school only to do it, even though I am pretty much obsessed with Harry Potter. I would probably skip school to get the book, but I wouldn't do it only for the movie. Why didn't he just let you borrow it? Anyway, I agree with you that Education is more important than a movie.
        Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

• YOU'RE BOTH WRONG!

What if the world was going to end tomorrow and we all thought we were going to die? What if the movie was a tutorial on how to make a personal spacecraft from common house materials? ...And then we'd use the spacecraft to fly to Mars and live there and not die the next day? Then I'd DEFINITELY get out of school to get that movie.
          "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Eric, you are wrong for several reasons.

1. I personally couldn't build a space craft that could bring me living to Mars, even if everyone on Earth helped me.

2. Not everyone would help me, as they would also like to live.

3. If they made a movie, they would probably have published a book first, if it was something as problematic as that.

4. And it would be easier to read from the book, and I probably would be on mars by then while everyone else is in school.

5. If it was a book, I said I would skip school (if it really is something that important).

And many other reasons besides.

And what do you count as the world ending? I've always wondered that. I mean, I guess it would count if the whole thing blew up...

Comment

• Originally posted by EricG1793:
              YOU'RE BOTH WRONG!

What if the world was going to end tomorrow and we all thought we were going to die? What if the movie was a tutorial on how to make a personal spacecraft from common house materials? ...And then we'd use the spacecraft to fly to Mars and live there and not die the next day? Then I'd DEFINITELY get out of school to get that movie.
              First off the world isn't going to end tomorrow. And you will know that I'm right if you reply to this tomorrow. But it is immature thinking to skip school to go buy a DVD when you don't have enough credits for graduation. My friend doesn't have enough credits to graduate. Something that will become important to you once you get to high school. Why skip school to get a DVD to make J.K. Rowling richer when you could be going to school to get an education and not be poor yourself? Maybe because you're in middle school you don't get what I'm saying. But then again my friend is a high schooler and he plans to work at Target his whole life. I dislike dealing with immature people even if they are my friends. I love Harry Potter (and if any of you know me personally I also love Kingdom Hearts ) but I wouldn't ditch school to go get the book, movie, or game. I just don't consider Harry Potter (and this goes for other books and video games as well) as important as my education. But most teenagers don't see it that way. *sighs*

Comment

• WHAT??????????? You wouoldn't even skip school to go get the HP books if there were more to come out????? I would DEFINETLY do that. By the way, a lot of money goes to other people as well, and it sounded kind of bitter when you said it. She used to be really poor, and worked hard. I dislike the blatant merchandising myself, although I wouldn't blame it on her. What she has now is from her hard work. I'm sorry for my rant, but I think it is the people who create the items that are to blame.

Comment

• I didn't mean that bitterly. In fact I think the fact that she is so wealthy is great. Because she worked hard. What I'm saying though is that skipping school to go buy a book (no matter what it is) is not going to help you graduate. That book will still be in the store when you get out of school. And with as popular as Harry Potter is the stores will always make sure that they order more than enough copies of the books to fit the popular demand. It just isn't a wise idea. It's just like all of those people that stood in line earlier this year to get the Apple iphone. You can still go purchase one so there is no need to cut school for that.

And like I already stated my friend is in danger of not graduating. He doesn't have enough credits (we need 240 credits to graduate), he didn't pass the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE), and he wants to work at Target his whole life. So maybe me fussing about him is an exception. But if it isn't necessary to ditch school than I suggest don't do it. Every second you miss in class counts. You can always go buy a Harry Potter book later. They aren't going anywhere. But while you're waiting for hours in line to get a book your education is floating out of the window. That's all I have to say for the moment.

Comment

• OK, well, I agree that is probably isn't the smartest idea to skip if your graduation is in jeopardy. Why would someone want to work at Target all his life? That dosn't sound like a very smart idea to me...

My education is very important to me, but still...

at least the books were only released at midnight.

Comment

• No, at least they were released over the summer so some children wouldn't skip school to just go get it.

The Beedle and the Bard has been bought by Amazon. There are only seven copies in existence and J.K. Rowling has handwritten each one. Check this out it's pretty cool.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000179911

Comment

• I'd never skip school! i've never skipped school in my entire life, as far as i can remember, and i'm certainly not going to start now! (I've stayed home, for various reasons in the past, but always for good reasons, with parental permission....And i've been allowed to leave early by teachers for various reasons. (Or rather, was told that i didn't have permission, but wouldn't be markes absent. or was told unofficially not to come to school, along with the rest of the class. But i've never skipped school. Ever.)
                        I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
                        For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• OK, now back to HP speculation....

I wonder who ended up being Hogwarts's headmaster in the epilogue of the last book? Snape was last we knew, but it didn't say in the epilogue.... It wasn't Harry. It wasn't Hermione or Ron. Who is the headmaster?
                          "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• If I could choose the next headmaster/headmistress, I think it would be McGonagall. Didn't it say in one of the books that she had been a good teacher for forty years, or so? And the way she handled Umbridge in the fifth book...I considered that near genius! :P
                            Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• Well this is a good twenty years later; McGonagall has to get old and retire (or die) sooner or later.

But yes, in the books, she is deputy headmistress.

She did handle Umbridge well in the 5th book. She handles everybody well, actually.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure that Rowling hinted it was Ron.
                                After all, Dumbledore gave him the lighter thing(what was it called again?)
                                "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
                                -Terry Pratchett
                                Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

Working...
                                X