X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hehe. Hard question.

1. Young Wizards
    2. Discworld
    3. Harry Potter/The Circle Opens/Redwall/The Keys to the Kingdom/Dragonlance (The adult ones- Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, Dragons of Spring Dawning etc.)/The Old Kingdom/The Chronicles of Chrestomanci/Immortals/Lost Years of Merlin (T. A. Barron, not the ones by Jane Yolen)/Artemis Fowl/Circle of Magic/Song of the Lioness. . .

Is that to many? I didn't put individual numbers on them so it seems like less. . .

Wish my library had TBONWM. . .they still don't have it, but I finally got around to giving them my mile long purchase suggestions list. So maybe they'll actually get some of them. . .

Comment

• My threee favorites? Ah, but favorites are determined by you at this moment, and an old favorite may not be a favorite now if you were to reread it. *shrugs*

I'll list anyway.

1. City of Bones by Martha Wells ((find it if you can; it's awesome! out of print))
      2. The Crusader by Edward Bloor ((not about the Crusades))
      3. I'll go ahead and say Dragon Riders of Pern. Haven't finished it, but... *shrugs*

Gah.... not the Princess Diaries!!! They sound so princessy. Ugh.

Mallorean & The Circle opens. *STOMP STOMP STOMP TOSSES IN FIRE* BURN BURN!!!

^^Books Gryph hates.
      Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• LOL, Gryphon, I agree. Chronicles of Chrestomanci? Hmmm...I think I read that a LONG time ago.

THE LOST YEARS OF MERLIN ROCKS!

Oh...I forgot His Dark Materials series...
        Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
        ------------------------------------------------------------
        "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• princessy...I hate that word.

Does anybody else notice that basically most of the books you've named are like dragony/elvishy/fantasy books?

I cannot get through his dark materials.
          1st 3 chapter=*snore*
          penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• ARE YOU CRAZY!!!?!?!???

HIS DARK MATERIALS ROCK!
            Comradely, Diego

Blow wind, come wrath; at least I will die with the harness off my back.
            ------------------------------------------------------------
            "I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you will only kill a man." - Che

"Be a real

Comment

• Crusader isn't fantasy. And City of Bones... I wouldn't call that fantasy either, but it's set in a different world. (not medeival; it's entirely unique)
              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Originally posted by Zgirl:
                Does anybody else notice that basically most of the books you've named are like dragony/elvishy/fantasy books?
                *ponders why all the books she listed were those sort of things and then remembers the library that her dad has* I don't get much of a chance to read anything else

Comment

• Since Dave never talked about Stephenson, I'll mention that I've been really enjoying Stephenson and Gibson lately... Zodiac, by Stephenson, was good, and I really enjoyed Burning Chrome by William Gibson. They're actually prety different books, Idon't know why I mention them together... Zodiac describes itself as an "eco-thriller," which was such a cool idea I had to pick it up, whereas Burning Chrome is a collection of short stories set in a basically similar future- a run-down mess, pretty much, what I'd classifiy as "dark cy-fi" where the biggest problem is the breakdown of technology and its overuse.

Er, I'm sure I've been reading other stuff lately, but trust me, a lot of it you don't want to hear about. DH Lawrence? Please. Set texts suck.
                  Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• Cool, thanks for the reviews, Tui! And the label I've heard for Gibson is "cyberpunk."

Ew. D.H. Lawrence. Ew.

I've just started reading the Nevya trilogy by Louise Marley: Sing the Light, Sing the Warmth, and Receive the Gift. It's not new, but it's taken me a while to hunt down the first volume. Very much starting from Anne McCaffrey's books, but managing to carve out some fun new territory of her own. I also enjoyed her fourth book, The Glass Harmonica which basically used Connie Willis as a starting point. I've tried reading The Terrorists of Irustan but was ultimately in the wrong mood for it.

I've got the Marquisade sitting about somewhere, which sounds like Marley going solo and taking off the training wheels. I'm really looking forward to it.
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Stephenson is like ... wine. A bit fruity, a bit musky, carefully aged, and if you consume too much you forget which way is up.

Oh, geez. Ok.

1 - uuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Well anyway. The 'Dark Sci-fi' To which you refer would be more accurately described as Dystopian Cypherpunk

Comment

• I, personally like Dean Koontz. Even though I've only read portions of his books... I don't have time to read the whole thing. My favorite of his has to be that one about controling people... Night Chills or something... I don't remember...

I don't read enough books to know what you guys are talking about, so I'll just shut up now...

Polie
                        From your friendly neighborhood wizard, Poliester.

Comment

• Callahan, don't worry about it. This thread is for talking about ANY books you want to. Don't worry about whether you know the books other people are mentioning or not.

So, I'm down to the third Marley, and I'm also reading (don't ask me why) John McPhee's Assembling California, which I'm liking enough to think about getting the other three books in the "Annals of the Former World" group.
                          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• hey callahan, long time, no see.

so what do ya'll think about the earthsea miniseries? i watched about an hour of it last night (before i fell asleep) it was ookay.

vv
                            PM: Dai everyone, Caitlin is right
                            Follow the bouncing poot

Comment

• Errrr, Caitlin, that topic probably belongs over in the Television thread.

Comment

• I don't feel like reading 25 pages right now, so I'll just jump in...
                                I love Stephen King, Garth Nix (especially the Abhorsen trilogy, I'm not a huge fan of The Ragwitch), JRR Tolkein, and Tamora Pierce (mostly her Song of the Lioness, although I don't like her writing style in parts of them), Diana Wynne Jones is nice, and Eoin Colfer, KA Applegate, Douglas Adams, some Madeline L'Engle, !!ORSON SCOTT CARD!!, and some Ursula K. LeGuin...
                                I'm crying cuz things aren't how
                                they used to be
                                she said,
                                "The battle's almost won
                                and we're only several miles from the sun..."

Comment

Working...
                                X