No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know you guys think it's really weird that I haven't read the Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy but I'm finally reading it! I'm almost done and while it has almost no plot, it's really funny!
    K that was random but... I have no excuse for my randomness, punish me
    *Agent~M*
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
    "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
    "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
    "I could live

Comment

• it does have a plot... they're trying to find out the question to the most important answer, the answer being Forty-Two! If you think the book was funny, try listening to the radioplay or watching the tv series.. they're even better!!!

And remember: Don't Panic!

Comment

• I read a LOT. YW, Dragonlance, The Keys to the Kingdom, the Darkangel Trilogy, the Immortals, the Song of the Lioness, the Circle of Magic (Gryph you don't like them? Why?), the Circle Opens, Artemis Fowl, the Old Kingdom Trilogy (That's the Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen books, they actually do have a name), Inheritance (that's the Eragon books, they have a name too), the wolf-quartet thing, what's it called, by Tanith Lee, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, the Lost Years of Merlin, Redwall, that Chrestomanci thing, I know it has a name, Dragon-thingie by Susan Fletcher. . .sorry, I just can't remember anything today.
        And I have a lot of books that I like that aren't in a series.
        Black Unicorn by Tanith Lee(it has a sequel called Gold Unicorn but the first one's a lot better.)
        Hawksong by Amelia A****er-Rhodes
        And a lot of other stuff, I know it's a long list but I know I'm forgetting something.

Comment

• wildflower:
          I read a LOT. YW, Dragonlance, The Keys to the Kingdom, the Darkangel Trilogy, the Immortals, the Song of the Lioness, the Circle of Magic (Gryph you don't like them? Why?), the Circle Opens, Artemis Fowl, the Old Kingdom Trilogy (That's the Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen books, they actually do have a name), Inheritance (that's the Eragon books, they have a name too), the wolf-quartet thing, what's it called, by Tanith Lee, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, the Lost Years of Merlin, Redwall, that Chrestomanci thing, I know it has a name, Dragon-thingie by Susan Fletcher. . .sorry, I just can't remember anything today.
          And I have a lot of books that I like that aren't in a series.
          Black Unicorn by Tanith Lee(it has a sequel called Gold Unicorn but the first one's a lot better.)
          Hawksong by Amelia A****er-Rhodes
          And a lot of other stuff, I know it's a long list but I know I'm forgetting something.

I just scanned the first line of your post, and, heh, I recognize every one of them. Wow, actually I've read a book (at least) from each of them. Of course I've read YW books. All of the YW, and half of BoTWM (if the feline wizard book don't count as YW). Everything else DD I have not read. Dragonlance... I've started one. It didn't catch me. Well, yeah, it was aimed at a younger audience. The Keys to the Kingdom. I have book one and two. I read book one. It was interesting... for a while. Wasn't well written. I read half (not even) of book two. All of the Darkangel Trilogy. Meredith Ann Peirce's books are okay, but they don't have good endings. None of them. They're not what should happen. The Immortals - ok, but not great. The Song of the Lioness was pretty good. TP's best. Cirlce of Magic... *hiss spit* They just ... were awful. Really annoying. I didn't even bother with The Circle Opens. The series before it drove me mad. Artemis Fowl. Good books, those. Have you read The Wish List? Good too. The Old Kingdom Trilogy. The first was okay; couldn't finish the second; didn't look at the third. Have Eragon. Hear it's good. Haven't read. Uhoh, my sentences are starting to turn cave-mannish. Yeah... it's ten. I'm tired. Wolf-Quartet? Wazzat? Oh, by Tanith Lee. That's a quartet? I have book one, two, and three. I read one. It was okay, but I didn't feel it was good enough to continue. Maybe I should though. If I bought it, I should at least read it. Meh. Harry POtter I've read. Lord of the Rings I've read a bit of book one. I've read the hobbit too, just haven't gotten around to getting through LOTR. The Lost Years of Merlin. *hiss spit* I've read a few of them. Hated them, too. I've read a lot of Redwall books. Got tired of them after a while. I listened to what I think was book one of the Chrestomanci series on book tape. No, it was book two. Nevermind. Hexwood was good, but weird. Same author. Dragon-thing? Susan Fletcher sounds really familiar. Oooh, I'm thinking of a book, but I read it a long time ago. One book was called Dragon's Milk. Another was umm... Kin... kin of something or other. Anyway, it had a girl who could talk to them and stuff. And girls who can talk to dragons had funny colored eyes. Green, I think. That's all I remember. Oh, and that dragons were kin to birds. Maybe the title of one was something like that. Ah well. Read Tanith Lee, but not that series. Oooh, and here's where the list of books I have read finally ends. At whatever that is. Hawksong... heyy that sounds familiar. Maybe I have read it.

Here's were my senseless post ends. Cheer!
          Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• WISHLISTWISHLISTMOREMOREMORE! Did you understand you just wrote the longest post ever on books you've read? *dies* I don't belong in this topic. My posts are to short.
            penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• Hehe. And it was all a bunch of fluff.
              Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• You know Gryphon, if you think Dragonlance is aimed at a younger audience we're probably reading two different series. I'm reading the Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, the first book is called Dragons of Autumn Twilight. They're actually adult books, and they've remade them into little split-up edited-out kid's versions, with the first book named A Rumor of Dragons. Maybe that's it?
                Anyway. . .Yes, those are the Susan Fletcher books I'm talking about. The second or third one was called Flight of the Dragon Kyn. I think that one was my favorite in the series, even with the wierd stick-a-prequel-in-the-middle thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent M:
                  I know you guys think it's really weird that I haven't read the Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy but I'm finally reading it! I'm almost done and while it has almost no plot, it's really funny!
                  A quote by the late Douglas Adams:
                  <span class="ev_code_BLUE">"All the characters are such a feckless lot. I find I've created an appalling situation, and I'd find myself going round each of the characters in turn to see how they react to it, and none of them want to get involved. That can be rather a problem really, if you've got this plot going on, and none of your heroes want to bother!" -- Douglas Adams, Space Voyager 13</span>
                  So there you have it, there is a plot, but the characters just don't want to get involved .

The last line of episode 3 of series 3 of HHGG (broadcast this week) was "Bet you weren't expecting to see me again!" Who did the BBC cast to play a character who's alive again after having died? The late Douglas Adams, taken from an old reading of the books. I just thought I'd tell you that, in case you were thinking that the books were stranger than reality.
                  Just the FAQs, ma'am: Chat, Board and Books.

Comment

• Wildflower, the books of the Dragonlance series (I think there are several Dragon Lance series) that I read definitely were aimed at a younger audience. Hehe. It even said Ages 9-13 on it. Yeah, A Rumor of Dragons sounds right.

The artwork on the front of my copies of the Susan Fletcher books. Heh. I recognized the ilustrator's work on a Magic card (Magic: The Gathering - a trading card game).

I have to read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Meh.

Comment

• Have any of you read _The Bronze King_? It reminded me a bit of YW, since it featured wizards in NY. It even had a kraken! I don't think it's as good as DD's stuff, but it helped fill the gap between _High Wizardry_ and the later books of the series. (It's part of a series, too, but I didn't know it at the time and don't remember the name.)
                      Anybody out there like Anne McCaffrey?

Comment

• Krakens aren't unique to Young Wizards books. They're sea creatures. What they look like and what they do depends on the book/author.

I've read the children books by Anne McCaffrey. I remember them being good. I have Killashandra by her, but I haven't read it.

Comment

• Killashandra is great! But you have to read 'The Crystal Singer' to understand what is going on - sort of. If you like Anne McCaffery, try the Dragonsong/Dragonsinger/Dragondrums set.. they're great...

Has anyone out there read Sara Douglass? My cousin bugged me about these for years before i finally got one and I loved them.

Alla

Comment

• I'm about 300 pages in on Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and it just keeps getting better. I'm completely jazzed that it's been optioned by Newline, now. I also heard something weird, that they're not going to do the white covers past the first printing, and that apparently some folks can get premium prices for 'em on E-Bay.

(shakes head).

Book people can be very silly, sometimes.

BTW, I bought a black-covered UK signed copy while I was in London. I bought it at Hatchard's. I highly recommend browsing the shelves of a bookstore that's been in the same location for 200 years. They definitely know what they're doing.

But I missed the H2G2 radio cast signing at Forbidden Planet. Ah, well. Can't have everything.
                            New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Alla:
                              Killashandra is great! But you have to read 'The Crystal Singer' to understand what is going on - sort of. If you like Anne McCaffery, try the Dragonsong/Dragonsinger/Dragondrums set.. they're great...
                              The last three were the ones I read. I'll see if I can find The Crystal Singer.

Comment

• go to second hand book shops .. they're great!!!
                                they're where most of dad's library comes from - or most of them come from this one great one down the coast...

*is reading 'The Gift' by Alison Croggon at the moment* its really good ... and its one of the few that we have that haven't been relased in the States yet!!! You guys get it next year as 'The Naming' some time next year. read it when you can...

Ok... some ideas - I have forty australian dollars to spend at Dymocks... its for a school prize for speech night. Any ideas anyone? Don't bother suggesting any YW books, cos the dont have them .. its sacrelige i tells ya! :O ...

I had my last school fencing thing today ... oh well I will have to join another club next year...

Comment

Working...
                                X