No announcement yet.

Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harry did yell too much. And Sirius definitly should not have died. ya only just got to know the character! And then he dies when ya start to like him. Grr.

Woohoo, Aurie! I like Linkin Park!!!

Anguish...

-MaThFrEaK
    "What's a solar system? Am I a solar system?"
    "Hehehe. You smell funny."
    ~Gryphon~
    Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• Yep, I'm Amber.
      Just because you like a chara doesn't mean they should stick around indefinitely. The wizarding world is beginning a war; there are casualties on every side, not just that of the 'bad guys.' Like I said, I support JKR's decision to put in a little reality.
      And how did Harry yell too much? Is there a prescribed amount of yelling one can do before one is frowned upon as 'yelling too much'? Harry's reactions were entirely natural, and it's amazing that he hasn't cracked before now.

The important thing about adventures, thought Mr Bunnsy, was that they shouldn't be so long as to make you miss mealtimes.
      -- (Terry Pratchett, The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents)
      My art place thing - http://paperdragoness.deviantart.com
      OK, so ten out of ten for style, but minus several million for good thinking, yeah?
      --Douglas Adams, HHGG

Comment

• *Agent~M*
        "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
        "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
        "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
        "I could live

Comment

• Why? he angsts about as much as I do. I probably angst more. I yell about that much too... well, not that much... I sorta freaked in geography today though because I was so frustrated. ^^'' yep. Harry behavior is what's to be expected.

Kitsune Rei ~kisses taste nice~

Comment

• i agree with aurora just go on mugglenet.com they'll tell you all about it...(mugglenet is really funny go to songparodies on that site.)
            Ahh poot got me again.

The monkey made me do it!
            ~Z~
            penguins will rule the world.

Comment

• *drags thread back to Books by the scruff of its neck*
              I'm rereading the books in my personal collection. Not very often, but sometimes (less often now that I'm older and my reading tastes have settled and broadened) I find that a book or series I really liked when I was younger isn't quite as interesting any more, and I 'weed' it. I'm now rereading a series by Debra Doyle and James MacDonald; the first book is called The Price of the Stars. High Space Opera, in a universe not unlike Star Wars or DD's own Wizards universe. There are starships, space combat, royalty-in-exile, intrigue by the gallon, the remnants of a truly horrible interstellar war, and Adepts (Mages, Jedi, wizards, etc.) Still quite good, although the oldest book has to be more than a decade old by now. Locate it and read it; it's worthy. Not going to be removed from the shelves at my house anytime soon, except to be read.

"Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
              "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash
              "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
              "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

• Too true, PPC. A lot of good characters are supposed to die. I dunno why, but it just didn't feel right when he died. Yeah, Sirius was definitly gonna snuff it eventually, but now... We had one book to get used to him. The 3rd ya found out he's good at the end, the 4th hardly mentions him. It just didn't feel right.

Yelling.... I dunno. It just seemed so much because in the previous books, he didn't really yell at all.

Jane Yolan is one of my favorite authors currently. She wrote the Pit Dragon Trilogy.

-MaThFrEaK
                "What's a solar system? Am I a solar system?"
                "Hehehe. You smell funny."
                ~Gryphon~
                Gigo: Hey, it's the person who puts 'asian' in 'caucasian'. Hi, Gryph. | | | wildflower: Hmm... should I side with "Gryph is more insane" based on conclusive evidence, or "Sharky is more insane" based on tradition? | | | [url="http://mariposa-mentiro

Comment

• *Agent~M*
                  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
                  "Those who dream by day are cognizant of those who dream by night" -Edgar Allen Poe
                  "See everything, overlook a lot, correct a little." - Pope John Paul XXIII
                  "I could live

Comment

• Auntie Jane rocks. You should hear her tell ghost stories to you at midnight, while you're sitting about in your pjs. I love conventions where you get to do stuff like that.

I have an embarrassment of riches right now. I'm finishing off Kim (I'm up to the part where he's back on the road with the lama after all his schooling), and have the new "Holmes/Russell", The Game (whose title now becomes clear to me) waiting in the wings. I also picked up the first two books in the Keys to the Kingdom series, to prepare for the Garth Nix signing. And while I was at Mysterious Galaxy, I also picked up the hardcover of the new John M. Ford anthology, The Heat of Fusion and Other Stories, which includes some of my personal uncollected favorites, like "110 Stories", "Dateline: Colonus", and "Winter Solstice, Camelot Station." At last, I can finish up From the End of the Twentieth Century and begin doling out pieces from this collection, instead.

I'm especially glad it's got "Dark Sea" in it, because I heard him read this one at the '02 World Fantasy Convention, and it was so rich and complex that I knew I'd need to read it about a half dozen times to understand what he's doing.

And, just as a sidenote, which I've mentioned before, Ford knows DD and stuck her (and Jane Yolen, and Pamela Dean, and Neil Gaiman and...) into a Star Trek novel: How Much For Just the Planet?. Their names are encoded, but not past recognition. ("Pam, bullets won't stop it!" )

[This message was edited by kli6 on 09 March 2004 at 15:39.]
                    New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• I hate books that take forever to develop the store exept on one ocation that the book turned out to be really good. But this one series the Weird Musem by Robin Javes was so stupid it took to the third book to actally deveope the story right and even then it wasn't good I hated that series.

*Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
                      *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
                      *Many have come and gone so we need to leave a ripple before this planet is washed away- Devin
                      *Many have come and gone but few are here to stay-Devin
                      *Life is a book, all thats good is when one is in suspense-Devin
                      *Many have gone and many have stayed but one thing stays the same: Love and Hate they never go away but they can be beaten- Devin
                      *Many have come to this place and most have left it but let not their life be a mystery- Devin
                      *Many have come and go

Comment

• For me, it depends. Being dumped slap-dash in the middle of happenings can annoy me, too. For me, the quality of the writing pretty much overrules whether the story moves or not. I mean, I love Titus Groan and Gormenghast and it takes the first 100 pages to move about 5 minutes into the story.
                        New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Randomly, IO just picked up two books by Charles de Lint, Moonlight and Vines and.... uh... something else. I know The Onion Girl got good reviews when it came out (last year? year before?) but I didn't read it. Has anyone anything else by him? Got any opinions?

"We are philosophical geniuses [sic] who will one day rule the world!"
                          --Agent M
                          Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha, Ahahahaha!
                          Still the Typo Queen
                          Go ahead! Panic! Do it now and avoid the June rush! Fear death by water!

Comment

• No I haven't sry but I did like The Blue Sword, and Hero and the Crownby Robin McKinley and were very good but not very popular.

*Many have come and gone so we need to leave a ripple before this planet is washed away- Devin
                            *Many have come and gone but few are here to stay-Devin
                            *Life is a book, all thats good is when one is in suspense-Devin

[This message was edited by Devin Caster on 09 March 2004 at 16:17.]
                            *Many have come and go

Comment

• I've read de Lint's Greenmantle which I enjoyed, but didn't go crazy over. But I loved Circle of Cats, which is a picture book written by de Lint and illustrated by Charles Vess. And, of course, I've had fun reading the prequel (prose-version) in Tapping the Dream Tree. He's good. Very Canadian.

Devin: I really love Robin McKinley's Damar books, but I had a problem with nearly every book she's written since Outlaws of Sherwood. I enjoyed Sunshine (her most recent, its about equal parts baked goods and vampires), but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Comment

• These days, I started reading books on issues... It started off as a school thing, and then I got bored and started looking for Issue books myself... I finished one on Teen Violence today. It was interesting... I don't completely agree with it though. I was reading "Sex, Drugs, and the Violent School Girl" a few weeks ago too, that was a pretty good book... But it was just one thing that bugged me in both... They both suggested that women entering the workforce was, at least partly, responsible for the increase in teenage and female crime. I can see WHY, but I don't AGREE with it. I agree with it about as much as I do about the idea of a "violence gene." I won't say I think it's preposterous, because it hasn't been either proved or disproved. But I don't think that just because a child's grandfather was violent, it means that the child has a stronger tendency to be violent written in his genes. I think the atmosphere the said child grows up in is much more important than whether or not his ancestors were violent or not.

What also seems absolutely insane to me was this one stat in "Teen Violence." The book IS ten years old, but it stated that half of the males and 40% of the females of teens in America think there are some circumstances where rape is acceptable. Being ME, I would like an example of these circumstances... I can't even THINK of a situation where it would be acceptable!

Okay, I'm probably boring you all now...

Kitsune Rei ~kisses taste nice~

Comment

Working...
                                X