Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Once she stopped to stare at a normal-looking house for a solid minute, Rex conjuring horrible images as he waited. But finallh Melissa said,. ""They're happy in there. I thinkthat's what it is, anyway."

That's from Midngighters volume two Touching Darkness, but Scott Westerfeld.
    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
    For those of you who don't recognize WHO'S back, I'll give you a hint, and I don't mean the typo's in my posts - YR.

Comment

• -- Eh bien! Voyons s'il y a moyen de faire disparaitre aux yeux de votre porte-clefs les traces de mon passage. Il ne faut pas que cet homme sache ce qui s'est passe, ou tout est perdu pour jamais.

From the Graded French Reader (Premiere Etape, Fifth Edition). The story of Dantes, part of the story of The Count of Monte Cristo.

I love reading French!
      From your friendly neighborhood wizard, Poliester.

Comment

• YR: I have to say that is a good series! I like it a lot.

"What's a metaphor?" Jay-Tee asked.

"A figure of speech. Like saying someone has a heart of stone."

I didn't think much of her example. My grandfather's stone heart definitely wasn't a figure of speech.
        -- Magic Lessons, Justine Larbalestier
        Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
        Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
        It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
        Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• Originally posted by Poliester:
          -- Eh bien! Voyons s'il y a moyen de faire disparaitre aux yeux de votre porte-clefs les traces de mon passage. Il ne faut pas que cet homme sache ce qui s'est passe, ou tout est perdu pour jamais.
          I love reading French!
          I hate French. It's because I live in a province where French is more important than English. I just finished reading half (242 pages) of a French book (Un sac de billes, par Joseph Joffo) in one sitting for homework. And now I have the urge to translate that. But I won't. Just the last bit. "Cinquième édition".
          "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
          -Terry Pratchett
          Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• Students are known for this kind of negotiation and hold the money until they get their way. Contracts are sometimes analogues to blueprints: guides subject to modification and clarification as the project progresses. It is unrealistic to expect that all eventualities can be foreseen, much less fully negotiated in advance.
            -- The Independent Film Producer's Survival Guide: A Business and Legal Sourcebook

Got it at the flea market today. It's going to help me out a lot!!
            Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
            It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.

Comment

• 2008 Show Information & Floor Plans
              Please refer to the maps on pages 20-22 for event locations

The only thing I had nearby at the moment was a copy of the 2008 Tucson EZ-Guide for the Gem and Mineral Show. Many of my meteorite friends gather there to swap rocks and stories.
              "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
              "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

• Hehe a friend's book counts, right?

"Now she wouldn't hear the warnings. 'Let's go tonight. You can ride as well as me now.'
                'Shay'
                'Do this with me. I'll show you a rollercoaster.'
                'What's a-'
                'Second Warning. Restricted Area.' "

Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld. I've wanted to read this book a gazillion times, but i haven't had the chance too and i still can't XD

Comment

• WHITTY!!! *tackle*

"What?" shouted Goryon at the top of his voice, his face turning livid. "Insults! Impertinence! Insolence! How dare you! I take no gifts from pig-keepers! Nor will I lower myself to mount the beast again."
                  Taran Wanderer, by Llyod Alexander.
                  "Accomplishing the impossible means only the boss will add it to your regular duties." - Anonymous
                  Nita, Kit, pay attention to that one!

Comment

• Yay, Terry Pratchett again!

This book is Hogfather:
                    "'It isn't an actual wizard's tower, is it?' said Medium Dave. 'They got a very odd sense of humour when it comes to booby traps.' 'No.' 'Guards?' 'I believe so. According to legend. But nothing very much.' Medium Dave Narrowed his eyes. 'There's valuable stuff in this...tower?' 'Oh, yes.' 'Why ain't there many guards, then?' 'The...person who owns the property probably does not realize the value of what...of what they have.' 'Locks?' said Medium Dave. 'On our way we shall be picking up a locksmith.' Who?' 'Mr Brown.'"
                    -Terry Pratchett

Comment

• This is a cool idea. I was wondering, why page 51? Here is mine:

Alex tried to speak, but his head was reeling. It was all happening too fast. Before he could react, his arm was seized from behind. Combat Jacket had crept up on him while Kasper had been talking. Alex tried to resist, but the man was too strong.

Ark Angle, by Anthony Horowitz

The book nearest me at the moment is really my grammar homework, so I did the book I am reading at the moment instead.
                      Ars longa, vita brevis
                      (Art is long, life is brief) -- Seneca

Comment

• The Science of Star Wars, by Jeanne Cavelos

I could have read from my textbooks, but that wouldn't have been nearly so interesting. (On a side note, I can't find any mention of Jar Jar's frog-like tongue. Wonder what that means.)

Comment

• It's also an interesting page, because if you're reading a big book, it's like a sneak peek into the story, since it's near the beginning, so other people could want to try out the book.
                          -Terry Pratchett

Comment

• Huh funny the book closest to me is the book I'm in the midst of reading!!

"Before that." A sudden coolness in Arhu's voice in his eyes. "Nothing." "Fwau," Rhiow said; a bit roughly, for her, but she thought it necessary. "Something else has to have been said first." She thought she knew what, but she didn't dare lead him...
                            --The Book of Night with Moon Diane Duane

This actually took me a long time to find. I finally got it from Amazon.com.

Comment

• Heehee...I'm in my bedroom, recently fitted with two new bookshelves...which to pick...

I didn't mean to sound smart-alecky. I hope you'll write back. You are such a good correspondent. -C.
                              And that's from "Once Upon a Marigold," by Jean Ferris.

"Twenty bars a day I've been buying for weeks and weeks!"
                              "Think of all the free stuff he'll be getting too!" another boy said enviously. "A lifetime supply!"
                              "He'll need it, the skinny little shrimp!" a girl said, laughing.
                              "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"--used to be one of my favorite books.
                              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• I just started a new book, here it is:

"I shall drink to that," I said, "a Greek told me of the steppes, of far grass plains where fierce warriors rode, and of a land still farther called Cathay."
                                " He was a knowing man. You travel far?"
                                " As far as necessary"

- The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour
                                Ars longa, vita brevis
                                (Art is long, life is brief) -- Seneca

Comment

Working...
                                X