Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Les Européens s'imaginent que le monde inconnu est peuplé de monstres marins et de dangers."
    D'hier a demain, Christian Laville

[my french history book(I live in Québec)]
    "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
    -Terry Pratchett
    Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• All I have around me at the moment are car service manuals that are almost too faded to read.

Anyway, their page numbers go around in odd directions, and it would take me forever to find a page 51.

Oh, never mind, found one!

OK, and at the top of this page fifty one, there is...an image of a fuse box, and some wiring. And instructions telling someone to "connect the connectors to the fuse box." That's all.
      And the book is "Acura Legend Service Manual 1990."
      Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• The closest book is a spanish-english dictionary - the closest novel is... Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King 'Rise now, Meriadoc, esquire of Rohan of the husehold of Meduseld!'

I haven't read that book - I probably should...

The books near me shouldn't change - I'm at my computer, so unless we rearange the shelves, or take a book off to read...

"And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• First closet book:

Grahame Coats came with both names. Not Mister Coats. Never just Grahame. It was his agency, and it represented people, and took a percentage of what they earned for the right to have represented them.
          Anansi Boys ~Neil Gaiman

Second:

A quiet peace fell over the star-traced seas, the shingled beach and the weary sentries on the walltop. The only sound was small waves gently lapping the land as the tide ebbed. Frogbit unplugged his ears. Nipwort followed his mate's example.
          Martin the Warrior ~Brian Jacques
          Just my luck, they ran out of cookies again!

I have a demon cat that was spawned from Satan.

Comment

• wow, i was starting to think i was the only one with redwall books.

"welcome...to Fuka academy..."
            My-Hime, Kimura Noburo and Sato Ken-etsu
            (it's a manga)

'general macarthur said: "You've never seen him? What d'yer mean?"'
            And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie
            -Terry Pratchett

Comment

• "I am Tualha Slaith, a princess of the People," she said, rattling it all off in a hurry, "a bard and a scholar. And who are you?"
              --A Wizard Abroad

It was either this, or one of the various children's books by the computer.
              I stand tall, proud, brave, straight, and strong.
              Fairest and Fallen, greetings and defiance.
              ~Book junkie~

Comment

• "Daine frowned. Something keened there, in a tiny voice she heard as much in her mind as in her ears. Trotting over, she saw that the shaft pinned an ink blot. What had Ma called it? A darking?" -The Realms of the Gods by Tamora Pierce.
                Her various Tortall series--The Song of the Lioness Quartet, The Immortals, and The Protector of the Small--are very good. She is one of my favorite authors (besides DD of course).
                "Dear Artificer, I've blown my quanta and gone to the Good Place!" -Fred
                "Bombs are good. I love bombs." -Iggy from Maximum Ride

Comment

• Originally posted by vashmata:
                  wow, i was starting to think i was the only one with redwall books.

"welcome...to Fuka academy..."
                  My-Hime, Kimura Noburo and Sato Ken-etsu
                  (it's a manga)
                  Nah, Redwall is awesome
                  Also: manga is awesome...though I've only seen My-Hime and not read it.

And because I felt like it another one
                  "Looks like an 'm' with a macron over it."
                  "So it does, but it's what the Russians use for 't.'"
                  "No, Russians use 'chai' for tea. In thick glasses with strawberry jam." ~The Number of the Beast by Robert A. Heinlein
                  Just my luck, they ran out of cookies again!

I have a demon cat that was spawned from Satan.

Comment

• Ha, once again in my grandfather's computer room...ah, here's a moderately interesting one:

"The Dictionary of Computer Terms."

"Click: The process of pressing the mouse button.

Click Art: A disk of drawings and pictures that are ready to clip out and be used in computer-produced documents, see CUT-AND-PASTE.

Clicking: A term used to describe the pressing of a mouse button."
                    Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• that's pretty funny.

"'for sure 'tis. He's been takin' the enchanted slumber agin. 'Twill be interestin' to hear his ballad.'"
                      High Rhulain, by Brian Jacques(One of the greatest authors of all time)

"'In which case, the death toll will be well over a hundred...' 'Hmm... So interpol's finally starting to move on this. Well, this is one case where i'm going to need some help from the police.'"
                      Death Note Vol.1, by Tsugumi Ohba
                      -Terry Pratchett

Comment

• Bowing deeply at the waist, with a grand gesture he offered it up to the governor.

The governor got very angry. "You stupid monk! Who do you think I am? That's just a broom! That can't be more than a month old!"
                        OK, that must be one of the most randomest things in this thread...

It's a book titled "Wanting Enlightenment is a Big Mistake," compiled and edited by Hyon Gak, foreword by Jon Kabat-Zinn. My dad put it on my desk last Friday.... I should give it back to him. He may be looking for it. He's REALLY spacey about where he puts stuff.
                        "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Okay Eric random you want random you get. "Show a half dollar and hold it clipped between the first and second fingers as you would to thumb palm it. Fig1. Place the coin in the left hand and close the fingers over it." Description of the sucker vanish in J.B Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. oh and PIE.
                          (\__/) "Be amazing"
                          (+'.'+)
                          (")_(")

Comment

• STELLA: You can't hear us.

STANLEY: Well, you can hear me and I said to hush up!

STELLA: This is my house and I'll talk as much as I want to!

BLANCHE: Stella, don't start a row.
                            A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams. This is a really fun play to read in class. We have "characters" in my English class, which makes this play so much more enjoyable.
                            Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                            Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                            It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                            Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• "...won't need to see any of you. We hope. Anyway, Stephi has been quite concerned about you - did Stammel mention it?" Paks nodded; Stammel had told her a lot about Stephi. "He's asked how you were, and he wanted to see you and apologize. He's a good man, really. We're sure that some outside influence - probably magical - affected him that night. But - it's up to you - will you see him before he goes South?"

"The Deed of Paksenarrion" by Elizabeth Moon. Big fat omnibus trilogy thing. Paksenarrion is a sheep-farmer's daughter who joins a mercenary troupe.
                              __________________________________________________ ________________________
                              "Meddle not in the affairs of Orcs, for you are crunchy and we aren't fussy about condiments."

Comment

• I like Elizabeth Moon. I'm presently collecting her latest series about Kylara Vatta.

You want random? I'll give you random...

Guea: Stone; Serbia, Yugoslavia; 1891 Sept. 28, 1700hrs.; Fall; 1 @ 1.915 kg.

from Meteorites from A to Z by Michael R. Jensen et. al. There's a circumflex over the 'e' in Guea that I can't quite figure out/be bothered to put in. Sorry.
                                "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                                "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

Working...
                                X