Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oooooh, Yugoslavia! I did this whole project on Yugoslavia back in 6th grade.... That was my least favorite SS 6th grade project.... My favorite was probably when we made the paper mache (I don't know how to spell that!) models of Earth. I loved having her for a SS teacher... she was so nice. She always called us "My friends".

I didn't like doing Yugoslavia much because it was really hard to research it; it isn't actually a country now, so stuff I had to find out... was in several different country names. What a time I had with Yugoslavia....
    "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• 1. Eric, this is the section where you write a quote from page 53 of a book, so you might wanna edit your post

2. it's spelled "papier maché"

3. my grandmom was born in Yugoslavia

4. "'Yes,' Kleist said shyly. 'Also, I prefer to talk a little first, hmm?'"
      The Tristan Betrayal by Robert Ludlum.
      "If his grin was any wider the top of his head would have fallen off"
      -Terry Pratchett
      Candyman Jr, Master Procrastinator, Joe Green, Vashmata, Master of Technology

Comment

• 1. I've already posted quotes in here at least twice.

2. I had already quoted the book nearest me anyway (that was the last time I quoted, with the monk and the governor).

3. We're insane and oftentimes rather off-topic here (we DO try <STRIKE>somewhat</STRIKE> to avoid it, though, but occasionally something will come up that'll make us want to talk about something else). But you'll get used to it. In fact, you might become just like us eventually.

4. ...And that same book is still the one nearest me. However, right now I also have my Science book, which is the same distance on my opposite side. So....

How and why objects move as fast as they do has fascinated scientists for thousands of years. In the early 1600s, the Italian astronomer GAlileo Galilei suggested that, once an object is in motion, no force is needed to keep it moving. Force is needed only to change the motion of an object. Galileo's ideas paved the way for Isaac Newton. Newton proposed the three basic laws of motion in the late 1600s.
        Again, that was from my Science textbook. It's titled "Motion, Forces, and Energy. Prentice Hall Science Explorer". Now, that's page 51... we haven't gotten that far and the second quarter's halfway done. That's sad. Really. But I won't launch into complaints about my Science teacher in this thread. Someone mentioned Yugoslavia, so I started talking about Yugoslavia, but nobody's talked about crazy Science teachers, so I won't start.
        "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• Page 51...got it.

"We waited, first for darkness, then the silence that we hoped meant that most of the soldiers were asleep..."- Forgotten Fire, by Adam Bagdasarian
          Believe something... and somewhere, it's happened

Comment

• On page 51 Chaos Mode by Piers Anthony
            "Gee," she said, pleased.
            Then he froze,realizing what he had done. He had touched a student! He quickly dropped hi arm. "Oh, I'm sorry. I-"

Comment

• "Then she heard the footsteps retreating back--she hoped--into the bedroom. Heard a loud yawn. Heard the creak of bedsprings."

It's the first whole paragraph on pg 51 of "Troll Bridge" which I just happen to have with me, as I was jut quoting it in the "Songs that remind you of YW" forum.

I really enjoyed this book, I've already read it twice! It was funny...and it had magical creatures in it!
              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• "That was what I had wondered. Was it possible? He said we didn't need to know too much because he'd be there. But surely he couldn't give us too much help without the trip being called a failure."

From But We Are Not Of Earth - Jean E Karl (it was published in 1981, so it's old) but I love the book (I'm sure it's out of print, I got it at the library)
                There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
                "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

• How Powerful a Trainer Do I Need?
                  some electronic trainers are advertised aas reaching here and there for ungodly distances.

Training Pointing Dogs by Paul Long
                  -"Though speach be unlearn'd, The wisdom be earn'd,"
                  Cairpre, the bard, The Lost Years of Merlin book 3
                  http://inheritanceseries.freeforums....ce41240a2f1add

Comment

• This book has been sitting by my computer for ever and I never realized until now!! haha..

I look out at the girls. They're gone. They couldn't even wait to see if I got a hit? A wave of homesickness washes over me.
                    Al Capone Does My Shirts-- Gennifer Choldenko

A book club book I never really got to read. Maybe I'll get to it now!
                    Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
                    Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
                    It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
                    Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• "Thee's got good eyesight, by God, to ha' seen I'm barnacled."

Pierre set before them a tray bearing a jack of rum, a jar of tobacco, pipes, a tinder-box, and three drinking-cans. Then he fell back to the buffet again, and remained there in attendance.

They poured for themselves in turn, and Wogan came to sit at the table's end, and filled himself a pipe of fine leaf. De Bernis did the same. But Tom Leach waved the jar disdainfully away when it was proffered to him.

"What's this business o' a plate fleet? Come, now. Let's have it."

The Black Swan, Rafael Sabatini.
                      New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• Curse you -- now I have the theme from The Many Adventures of Don Juan being an earworm!

Chapter 5 -- A Lost Civilization.
                        "We now know that Schliemann fooled himself. His enthusiasm and his faith in Homer had led him to believe he had found the grave of Agamemnon when actually he had only found a grave which late Greek tradition said was Agamemnon's."

Lost Worlds: the Romance of Archaeology by Anne Terry White
                        "Thus is Balance maintained." A Wizard of Earthsea
                        "Condensing fact from the vapor of nuance." Neal Stephenson, Snow Crash

Comment

• Bwah-ha-ha. My nefarious plan to Sabatini-ize the world is working! Wait. Darn. I moved the book. Now I've got another "closest to me" book:

TRUE COMORANTS (CONTINUED)
                          These two species are found on any open water from ponds to ocean, often in flocks. No other cormorants are commonly found on fresh water. Flocks fly high and form lines or V shapes like geese.

Double-crested Cormorant
                          Phalacrocorax auritusLarger and shorter-tailed than Neotropic; distinguished from Brandt's by orange chin, longer tail, and more bouyant flight, usually higher an often over land. Flies with neck kinked.

The Sibley Guide to Birds --David Allen Sibley
                          New to the board? Please take the time to read the YW Board-Specific Rules, or Why We're Not Like Other Boards FAQ.

Comment

• The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (on the iPod Touch):

(okay, not so much page 51, because it's only divvied up into chapters, but still...)

I had called upon my friend, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, one day in the autumn of last year and found him in deep conversation with a very stout, florid-faced, elderly gentleman with fiery red hair. With an apology for my intrusion, I was about to withdraw when Holmes pulled my abruptly into the room and closed the door behind me.

"You could not have possibly come at a better time, my dear Watson," he said cordially.
                            Omnia mutantur; nihil interit.
                            Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

Comment

• Ah. Jabez Wilson in "The Red-Headed League." Holmes is always good stuff, and Adventures, being the first set of stories is one of the strongest collections (by the time you get to Case-Book, they're losing their punch).
                              -----
                              [adding a pg. 51 quote]

Valri made a small sound and rested her head against the bars of the gate. The raelynx glanced up, decided her nose was too far away to make a leap for, and settled its chin back on its paws. "How will we ever find the right man for her?" she said in something like despair.

Cammon was in agreement with the sentiment. "Perhaps the king shouldn't be rushing her into a wedding."

Valri straightened up. "And perhaps a wedding is the very thing that is needed," she said. "I don't know. I can't tell. I just know that Amalie will require a very special bridegroom. And I don't know if one exists in all of Gillengaria."

Reader and Raelynx, by Sharon Shinn.

Comment

• "Halfway down the hill, he buzzed up his shield, becoming all but invisible to the naked eye. When a fairy shielded, he vibrated so quickly that the eyes could not capture an image of him."

The Artemis Fowl Files: LEPrecon, by Eoin Colfer. YAY ARTEMIS!!!

*wanders off again*
                                "Accomplishing the impossible means only the boss will add it to your regular duties." - Anonymous
                                Nita, Kit, pay attention to that one!

Comment

Working...
                                X