Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the first few sentences on page 51 of the book nearest you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rail and Moa ran through to Rail's room, to get away from the hatch before it caved in. Moa was still trying to get the artifact off, but it was stuck fast.
    That's Strom Thief, by Chris Wooding.
    "And on he went, out of sight in unhurried grace; the true dark angel, the unfallen Destroyer, the Pale slayer who never really dies -- seeking for pain to end." Deep Wizardry, page 355 Listen, and I'll tell you a story... of the wind in the trees, and the sun, the moon and the stars... of all of Earth dancing

Comment

• The boy had been working for the crystal merchant for almost a month, and he could see that it wasn't exactly the kind of job that would make him happy. The merchant spent the entire day mumbling behind the counter, telling the boy to be careful with the pieces and not to break anything.
      -- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Reading it in English... it's actually really good.
      Time passes. Even when it seems impossible.
      Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise.
      It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me.
      Check out my video: LET GO

Comment

• "We wait here," Dusa advised as she slipped on a lion mask. "Put your mask on just in case someone sees us. If they report anything, let them report that a pack of wild animals did this."

--The Bar Code Rebellion by Suzanne Weyn

Comment

• The Princess School: Thorn in Her Side - Jane B. Mason

"I..." Rapunzel babbled, "...um...love you with all of my... heart," she squeaked. "Please..." She stopped and appeared unable to go on.

This is a cute little series of stories about all the fairy tale princesses learning how to be princesses - there are stories that focus of Rapunzel, Snow White, Belle, Cinderella... all really cute, and fun for a quick light read.... I'm having to borrow books from the library as the bulk of my Library has been left behind in my relocation... Which I hope to change soon...
          There is Always DEEP Shadow where there is MUCH Light!
          "I will meet the terminally clueless today...idiots and those with hairballs for brains.... I do not have to be like them, even though I would dearly love to hit them hard enough to make the empty places between their ears echo..." Rhiow - TVTQ

Comment

• Jim Butcher, Summer Knight (Book Four of The Dresden Files)

"... muscle. He had a short beard, patchy with brown and grey, and he wore his hair in a long ponytail. His face was still narrow, sour, and he had a voice to match it. 'Finally,' he muttered upon seeing me. 'I've been waiting for this, Dresden. Finally you're going to face justice.'"

"'I see someone had a nice big bowl of Fanatic-Os this morning,' I said. 'I know you don't like it, Morgan, but I was cleared of all those charges. Thanks to you, actually.'"

= = = =

If you've read the Dresden books, think how different Harry Dresden would have been if he'd had Tom and Carl and Peach as teachers instead of Justin and Ebenezer! And notice how much Mister and Mouse help him. Animals are magic.

(Note: If you have not read the Dresden books, and you are young, I'd recommend you wait until you're in high school, at least. It's a much crueler world than Diane's. There's death and violence and some sex, but the main reason to wait is that there's often so little hope in Butcher's series. Unlike some of the private eyes he's modeled after, Dresden goes on being hopeful, and decent, despite how dark his world is. But it's still very dark.)
            "Caminante no hay camino. / Se hace camino al andar." (Walker, there is no road. You make the road by walking.) -- Antonio Machado
            "A wild patience has taken me this far." -- Adrienne Rich

Comment

• "The cries and curses and roar...the plaudits for well aimed shots,
              The ambulanza slowly passing and trailing its red drip,
              Workmen searching after damages and to make indispensible repairs,
              The fall of grenades through the rent roof...the fan-shaped explosion,
              The whizz of limbs heads stone wood and iron high in the air."

--Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

Comment

• Ejercicios

Wii Fit presento cuatro categorios principales: tonification, aerobic, yoga y juegos de equilibrio. Elige la categoria que prefieras mejorar.
                - Wii Fit manual, Spanish portion
                "...Some of growing up is the knitting together of our cognitive webs, and some things take time and experience to make sense...." - Taran

Comment

• "What shape did she give him?"
                  "I will not tell you. It was horrible. But he was also the Green Knight, whom your father Gawain the Younger withstood. Some day the story shall be told. But long ago he was released from Le Fay, and serves Our Lady with great devotion, as you saw - but sometimes he invokes her by strange names - But come, you have an errand for me?"

King Arthur's Daughter by Vera Chapman.

Comment

• "I guess. Can we go see St. George?"
                    "Sure." We cross Michigan Avenue and walk between students and housewives sunning themselves on the museum steps. Henry pats one of the bronze lions as we go by.

The Time-Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Comment

• OKay this is the second book from a series but it's really good. It's called The Dead Girls Dance. The first book is called Glass Houses. OK here it is:

"Younger," Shane said. "Seventeen, I guess. Skinny, creepy kid. I never liked him."

"Do you think-?"

"What?"

"Do you think he'll come here? Try to hurt Eve?"

Shane shrugged. "If he does, he'll be regretting it all the way to the hospital." He said it in a matter-of-fact kind of way that made Claire feel strangely warm. She fought to catch her breath. If Shane noticed, he didn't show it. "As long as we stay here, were safe." He looked up at the blank ceiling. "Right Michael?"

A chill drifted over Claire's skin. "Right," she said, on Michael's behalf.

But she wondered...

So there it is, the first few lines of page fifty one in my nearest book. You like?
                      "I'm so smart!" *KABOOM!!!*- me and my eggbert game
                      "Poop a box!" me and my sis while playing MarioKart DS
                      "Gah!" "I love this song!" "What?!?"- BFFE and me
                      "PILLOWS!" me, Sam, and Kat.

Comment

• ''you're going down there tonight?'' asked sariya, surprised. ''thought i'd just have a quick look around.see if there's anything... unusual.''

the last secret of the temple, by paul sussman

Comment

• Here are a couple... I have a stack of books piled up by the computer.

THE NAME OF THEIS BOOK IS SECRET, by Pseudonymous Bosch

"The agreement was that if Cass stopped wearing her backpack in the house, Cass's mother would stop bugging her about the condition of her clothing. Normally Cass would have pointed out that by saying she wasn't saying anything avout the hole her mother was saying something about it anyway. However, tonight Cass had a lie to tell, so she didn't argue."

Eclipse, by Stephenie Meyer

"Charlie seemed to already be in a good mood when he got home. He didn't even go out of his way to be rude to Edward."
                          "at least i thought it was a wall. It sure felt like one. It was hard, it was flat. It stretched out on either side of me. You know... wall." -Bobby Pendragon

Comment

• Oh this thread is fun...

"...would not look at Tristran. He kissed her cheek and bade her farewell. Then he walked into the village with his father. Tristran had stood his first watch on the wall when he was sixteen years old. He had only been given one instruction:..."

And that's Stardust, by Neil Gaiman.

It was an interesting read as I'd seen the movie before reading the book... Both were enchanting in their own way, but the book was shockingly inappropriate in comparison.

Comment

• "Twoflower was behind Withel, holding the man's own needle-sharp sword with the point resting in the small of the thief's back. Rincewind's eyes narrowed. He reached into his robe, then withdrew his hand bunched into a fist."

That book (a pretty darn good one), is The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett.
                              Dif-tor heh smusma.

Comment

• "Now, slave, how long am I to wait for my chariot?" thundered the Witch. Uncle Andrew cowered away from her. Now that she was really present, all the silly thoughts he had had while looking at himself in the glass were oozing out of him.

--The Magician's Nephew by Clive Staples Lewis

Comment

Working...
                                X